Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buyers beware!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Is it me or has it become the norm these days for VW Transporter conversions to be routinely advertised as a California? Is this practice viewed as being OK?
Here is yet another current advert on Autotrader from a well known VW Commercial dealership!

image.jpeg I accept that it is possible that this example may have been some sort of editing mistake but there seem to be far too many of this sort of advert appearing for them all to have been.

As every buyer starts from a point of zero knowledge, I just wonder how many people looking to buy a camper van are taken in by this all too common dubious sales tactic. Not everyone spends months on end researching before buying a new vehicle and I suspect that a very small minority of potential buyers would be none the wiser, if not enlightened.
I have no doubt that any reputable dealership would inform any potential customer about their mis-representation at some point during the sales process but for me that would be to late. They would have tried to mis-lead me into coming to look at their vehicle and my trust in them would have been broken.

Any shop advertising margarine as best butter could expect a visit from Trading Standards. Is there a difference here?

Rant over, I'm off to bed.

Last edited:
That van is also in this club's 'for sale' section and was being plugged via the Facebook page this afternoon. A very short sighted move by the club if it wishes to be regarded as trustworthy (etc).

The cheap price should tell everyone that it isn't a T6 Ocean

This technique is regularly used to get potential buyers to view adverts. Try searching for Caravelle on the big sale sites and all sorts of vehicles come up - many not even VWs... The headlines clearly state the wrong vehicles, yet, despite advertising rules, traders continue to use the technique and the publication's do nothing to stop it.
Wasted hours when we we searching for a Caravelle.

Just to add my tuppence,

Thank you Kev. We are the last place on earth that someone should be allowed to advertise a "less than genuine" California.

These "fake" California's are a perennial discussion that crops up regularly. Sadly the club has no control but as an individual member I have complained to auto trader before, with stunning lack of success!

Just to add my tuppence,

Thank you Kev. We are the last place on earth that someone should be allowed to advertise a "less than genuine" California.

These "fake" California's are a perennial discussion that crops up regularly. Sadly the club has no control but as an individual member I have complained to auto trader before, with stunning lack of success!

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the cheap price is forgotten.

As far as we know it's only the picture that is wrong the description seems OK I will await a response from the seller.why people can't just take a picture of their van is beyond me.I agree it is out of order for vw dealers to advertise these as california's. You will be surprised just how many people ask things like has it got a pop up roof does it have a fridge so there are people out there that will get caught.We do try our best to monitor the classifieds as we charge luckily we get very few scammers.

I know of two Californias on the used vehicle VW website, both have been rejected under consumer legislation due to roof corrosion, neither have been repaired and I doubt new owners will be told they have been rejected.

Buyer beware indeed!

The cheap price should tell everyone that it isn't a T6 Ocean
Some people have next to zero interest in or knowledge of motor cars. £36k for a second hand campervan only looks cheap if you bother the ask the price of a new one.

I've just sent VW LIverpool an email querying its pedigree asking them to confirm it is a VW California Ocean. Be interesting if I get a reply!

I wonder if VW know their own dealers are doing this?

I've just sent VW LIverpool an email querying its pedigree asking them to confirm it is a VW California Ocean. Be interesting if I get a reply!

I wonder if VW know their own dealers are doing this?

They should do. I posted it on the VW commercial forum about 18 months ago.

Would I trust a dealer who did this kind of underhand selling to look after my genuine pride and joy? Hmmm.....

I agree it's irksome. We have been looking at Autotrader for a few months and obviously one always has a little look to see if there are many/any Californias coming through. And when this vehicle kept popping up I thought exactly the same as the OP. And it's from a well-known dealer, so it's particularly confusing.

However, as it's been on there for months, and hasn't been snapped up like all the genuine Californias have in that time, it would suggest that the buying public haven't been taken in. Yet.

Would I trust a dealer who did this kind of underhand selling to look after my genuine pride and joy? Hmmm.....
I was chatting with Martin at SMG Tonbridge on Thursday. He told me that VW Liverpool has the country's #1 California allocation from VWUK; SMG Tonbridge has the #2 allocation.

I Just recieved a call from VW Liverpool it's not a California it's a conversion. No if's or but's. He told me when I said the ad was confusing that it was Autotrader who listed it that way!

I wonder how that works, are Autotrader compiling ads on behalf of dealers? A kind of advertising contract? Odd!

31977950-jpg.18910
When you type a vehicle's registration into Autotrader the make and model are automatically generated. You can then manually edit these details.

Back