Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible Scam alert seller beware!

Taff2023

Taff2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My Cali is on sale on this forum. Over the weekend I was contacted via the sale advert by a Samuel Mathey
smathey1905@+++++.com
Offering to buy my van. Judging by the grammar of the emails I scented a rat!
In the end he emailed me saying that he would pay full asking price and the van would be paid for via cheque and picked up by a transporter country!
Buyer was out of the country and was not even going to even see it.I subsequently accepted the offer and asked for payment via direct bank transfer still waiting to hear back
These people are out there so please be vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The moment someone doesn't need to see it and is out of the country eh?
I'm still amazed at the shear volume of examples of this behaviour in every nook and cranny of any market where things have a significant value.

Steer clear - don't even accept payment. A quick search came up with this:
'One popular scam is for a fraudster to call up and claim to be a buyer based overseas that wants to buy your car. These callers will then reveal that they have a shipping company lined-up and ready to take your car and that they want to pay you via an online payment service.

From there, this mystery buyer scam can go a number of ways. For example, they might transfer money for the car into your account using a stolen credit card or a fake online payment account. Shortly afterwards they will contact you to say that they have accidentally overpaid and ask you to refund the difference. Once you do they can then withdraw the original amount from your account, leaving you out of pocket.

The other variation is more damaging. The fraudster will pay for the car using a money transfer service and have it collected. After taking the vehicle away they will then begin dispute proceedings, using the buyer protection policies of the money transfer service to claim they never received the car and demand a refund. In some cases they can be successful.'

A known trick is that "buyer" sends you a check on e.i. 500 to 1000 more than afsked, and then he ask you to return the difference by Western Union And then 2 - 3 weeks later the check bounce.
They usualy are not interestet in you car.

Yep, just had a very similar experience while trying to sell Caravelle. Never stops does it!