Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a California from the IOM

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all.
Bit of advice needed please.
As a past California owner I cannot praise them enough and know what there is to know to give advice as best I can.
we just sold our 4th California to buy a Kombi to use as bit more of a van to move motorcycles about and we can still use it as a weekend get away with a few additional extras fitted.... I’m pretty clued up on cali’s but not on this type of thing so people’s advice is what will probably help more??
A friend of mines looking at a California for sale at the moment and I’m his first port of call for advice (he doesn’t do forums) or internet really so I’m helping out how I can..
Any way .
He has seen a beautiful t6 edition model and a reasonable price I think ,but he’s quite reluctant to buy it because it will be classed as an import?
I can’t help him decide as I don’t know what the deal is with imports even though it’s only from the IOM it’s still not part of the uk...so it’s an import!

My question is would you as a buyer buy a van classed as an import??
And would it affect his residuals...
This may help reinforce his decision or make him keep looking for a uk van...
He’s a camper van owner but not a California..
I have an edition Kombi on order and he liked our last van in white so he’s looking for a white one..this one is actually a rare edition model too in white with the spec he would like..
The dealers are pretty much biased if your not buying from them ..he’s called a few that have said they would not really buy an import...
Any useful advice from this forum on people’s opinions would be fab
Cheers in advance

Ultimately they are ALL imports. They are manufacturered in Germany.

Specification is more important in my opinion.

If it is as you say, the "Edition" model will be rarer and I'd suggest the residuals would hold up just fine.

The only slight complexity may be getting insurance for it, but as a prospective buyer the fact that it has come from the IOM wouldn't put me off one bit.

If it's got everything your friend wants and it's a good price then I suggest it's got to be an attractive purchase.

Ultimately they are ALL imports. They are manufacturered in Germany.

Specification is more important in my opinion.

If it is as you say, the "Edition" model will be rarer and I'd suggest the residuals would hold up just fine.

The only slight complexity may be getting insurance for it, but as a prospective buyer the fact that it has come from the IOM wouldn't put me off one bit.

If it's got everything your friend wants and it's a good price then I suggest it's got to be an attractive purchase.
Thanks for the reply, blondebier
And yep they are all imports being made in Germany,
his issues are it says or will say not bought new and (imported) on the logbook.... also holding a certain amount of value is important as it’s a big purchase ...I know grey imports are a bit frowned upon car wise....also cheaper...it will be interesting to see people’s thoughts on this....

Last edited:
I get the "grey import" thing, but I don't think it is as significant as it once was.

Personally - it wouldn't worry me. As long as the vehicle has the right specification and has been properly maintained it certainly wouldn't be a reason for me not to buy it.

Thanks for the reply, blondebier
And yep they are all imports being made in Germany,
his issues are it says or will say not bought new and (imported) on the logbook.... also holding a certain amount of value is important as it’s a big purchase ...I know grey imports are a bit frowned upon car wise....also cheaper...it will be interesting to see people’s thoughts on this....
As it's classed as an Import are there any additional taxes to pay?

Of course if you want a hassle free Import then you could get a company to do all the donkey work. eg: https://mycarimport.co.uk

Last edited:
As it's classed as an Import are there any additional taxes to pay?
Hi welshgas
Was hoping you would reply on this post you seem pretty well educated on stuff ....
No the dealer says there’s no vat or taxes to pay ???
All included in the price.its only 6months old ...
Will it be actually classed as an import ???
with IOM not being part of the uk??
but We believe there in the same vat system??
The dvla informs him it’s being exported from iom so it has to be an import yeah???
U may know more

Last edited:
Hi welshgas
Was hoping you would reply on this post you seem pretty clued up on stuff ....
The dvla informs him it’s being exported from iom so it has to be an import yeah???
U may know more
I'm afraid I'm no expert on this but from reading various info: If the vehicle was originally registered in UK then imported to IOM and then back to UK then there would be no taxes etc: just some paperwork and anMOT if over 3 yrs.
If Imported directly to IOM and then exported to UK then there could be additional costs. eg: New Californias in UK have to pay the Road Tax Premium for 5 yrs as they cost more than £40,000. Do they pay that in IOM, if not you could be liable for it in the UK.

It could be helpful talking to that company I mentioned for a quote.

Hi welshgas
Was hoping you would reply on this post you seem pretty well educated on stuff ....
U may know more
It was bought new in the Isle of Man unregistered..the dvla says its being exported to the uk now so we don’t know if it’s classed as an import ??the dealer says I isn’t an import ? Uk spec van.this is his concern and if it will affect the future value come resale?? Or would it put people off...he isn’t planning on selling it soon but is definitely mindful of this being a problem?

Last edited:
Back