Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a t5.1

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All,

Following on from my other thread about selling 3 cars to go electric and a newer cali I'm probably going to be in a position to buy in the next couple of months.

Interested to know what you think I should be paying for an early t5.1. I've seen a few for sale ranging from 25k to 35k. The ones towards the higher end seem to have been for sale ages with not many towards tbr lower end. There was a couple of nice ones on ebay recently at 30k so might just be q case of be patient.

Cheers
Chris

Only paid up VIP members have that ability i'm afraid.

Hi All,

Following on from my other thread about selling 3 cars to go electric and a newer cali I'm probably going to be in a position to buy in the next couple of months.

Interested to know what you think I should be paying for an early t5.1. I've seen a few for sale ranging from 25k to 35k. The ones towards the higher end seem to have been for sale ages with not many towards tbr lower end. There was a couple of nice ones on ebay recently at 30k so might just be q case of be patient.

Cheers
Chris
Be very wary of some of the eBay adverts.

These are the ones I'd spotted on ebay. There was also a nice one in metallic beige on auto trader for 25k but it didnt last long.

Cali 1

Cali 2
To be honest lots of us have been in your situation. Don’t rush, check them out thoroughly.
I ended up buying one from this site. It’s been brilliant - clearly well looked after prior to my purchase and at a price that we were both happy with. It’s usually the case they don’t sell because the price is too high - don’t be afraid to offer what you think is fair (albeit sensible).
And good luck.

These are the ones I'd spotted on ebay. There was also a nice one in metallic beige on auto trader for 25k but it didnt last long.

Cali 1

Cali 2
If priced correctly it will sell quickly. Some owners believe all the hype about 2nd hand prices. They do depreciate less but some owners are in cloud cuckoo land when they come to sell.

Cali 1

Cali 2
And remember, ultra low milage can hide numerous problems and big service bills.

If your search includes early 5.1 180s then ensure you’ve understood the oil consumption/ engine failure issue that hits some of those.

Otherwise you just need to be ready to pounce, travelling that day or the following morning after publication of the advert, and often sending a £500 deposit on the basis that “if I don’t find any faults other than the ones you’ve described to me, I’m committing to buy it”.

Great many thanks for correcting that!

Useful comments above, I'm not the most patient but will definitely wait until the right van comes up at the right price. I wasnt aware of the engine issues so off to google to have a look thanks.

I wasnt aware of the engine issues so off to google to have a look thanks.
It needs to be understood on all 180s but particularly the early ones. There are threads on here (always contentious) and links to Facebook group on the topic.

Back