Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a used Cali with Votronic solar panel - help!

T

teapeaage

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi,

After lurking for a looong time here, I am finally buying a used T6 it seems. The car is 1 year old and still has warranty.. It does have a Solar Panel installation and was wondering if you could help me understand how I can inspect whether it works properly. All I know (from the pictures at least), that it's been install early last year and that it consists of these 2 monitor screens (attached) and a roof panel. Pics attached, hope that'll be enough for you to direct me.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 12.01.25.png

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 12.01.42.png

The top screen shows the battery voltage in your photo but will will show you your panel wattage if you press the up and down buttons . The bottom panel has nothing to do with the solar. It's a very explensive thermometer and clock.

Your panels look to be circa 120w each so I'd expect to see around 180w in summer when the battery / appliances actually need that much. In winter, not so much. More like 20 watts if it's grey cloudy weather as per your photo.

Those panels are either dirty, or frosty, or the EFTE coating has delaminated. Probably just frost at a glance. They come from a Swiss supplier.

First to do is clean the panels as they look dirty and that will stop loads of solar.......

Hi,

After lurking for a looong time here, I am finally buying a used T6 it seems. The car is 1 year old and still has warranty.. It does have a Solar Panel installation and was wondering if you could help me understand how I can inspect whether it works properly. All I know (from the pictures at least), that it's been install early last year and that it consists of these 2 monitor screens (attached) and a roof panel. Pics attached, hope that'll be enough for you to direct me.

Thanks!

@Roger Donoghue is the Man with the knowledge.

First to do is clean the panels as they look dirty and that will stop loads of solar.......
How would you recommend doing this? Hand wash with carwash detergent? Or something more gentle?

The top screen shows the battery voltage in your photo but will will show you your panel wattage if you press the up and down buttons . The bottom panel has nothing to do with the solar. It's a very explensive thermometer and clock.

Your panels look to be circa 120w each so I'd expect to see around 180w in summer when the battery / appliances actually need that much. In winter, not so much. More like 20 watts if it's grey cloudy weather as per your photo.

Those panels are either dirty, or frosty, or the EFTE coating has delaminated. Probably just frost at a glance. They come from a Swiss supplier.
I was hoping you’d respond- I’ve been blown away by your solar expertise around here.. Thanks! Any recommendations on how to clean the panels? The entire car was pretty dirty after driving >1000kms in slush.. :(

I was hoping you’d respond- I’ve been blown away by your solar expertise around here.. Thanks! Any recommendations on how to clean the panels? The entire car was pretty dirty after driving >1000kms in slush.. :(
Just soap and water, ideally not using one of these waxing car shampoos.

Having said that I used car shampoo and after 5 yrs noted a slight yellow tinge to the panel that could be scratched off with a finger nail, like a traffic film.
So I used some car tar remover, removed the film easily. It was either traffic film or wax from the car shampoo. Anyway, easily removed.

Back