Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"best" solar panel for new Cali

L

loic2000

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi guys,

We are planning to buy a new Cali from the Netherlands (campers.eu) and we got some quotes about it. We also asked for fitting a solar panel. It seems quite expensive compare to the prices I have seen on this forum (1 x Solar Panel 1x 160W + Victron MPPT charger = 820euros). I don't know if the technology is different which is why the price is more expensive...

I have two questions:
1) If buying a Cali new, would you recommend to order also the solar panel or to install them later at a local shop?
2) Is 160W enough if we are not planning to go off-grid for more than 2 or 3 days? or should we consider 250W?

Hi guys,

We are planning to buy a new Cali from the Netherlands (campers.eu) and we got some quotes about it. We also asked for fitting a solar panel. It seems quite expensive compare to the prices I have seen on this forum (1 x Solar Panel 1x 160W + Victron MPPT charger = 820euros). I don't know if the technology is different which is why the price is more expensive...

I have two questions:
1) If buying a Cali new, would you recommend to order also the solar panel or to install them later at a local shop?
2) Is 160W enough if we are not planning to go off-grid for more than 2 or 3 days? or should we consider 250W?

Welcome Loic2K,

In my opinion
1 - in the long term, warranty is important. with a local fitter, it will be easier to do warranty claims on solar panels and the controller. with the van, it is not an issue as VW will honour their warranty where they have presence.
2. 160 w should be fine. it is also to do with the amount of sunlight available when going off-grid :) which is rare in the UK anyways.

160W is more then enough... even 100 of 120W will do, material should take you less than 400euro (Victron), and with ample instruction manual you can intall it yourself.

I ship to the Netherlands. 120W solar kits.

R
Hi Roger
Sorry to piggy back this thread, but I’ve been reading lots of your threads re solar power panels for Calis where you refer to your website.
I would love to investigate this further but cannot find it anywhere.
Any chance you could point me in the right direction.

Hi Roger
Sorry to piggy back this thread, but I’ve been reading lots of your threads re solar power panels for Calis where you refer to your website.
I would love to investigate this further but cannot find it anywhere.
Any chance you could point me in the right direction.
Click on the top link, in blue , at the bottom of Roger‘s post.

Hi guys,

I have two questions:

fitted this ..... https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/product/mipv-165w-superflex-solar-panel-kit