RodCouncil

A Brit in Sweden
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My proposal:

1. I pay a deposit of 500 Euro to secure my interest in the van
2. Seller gets the van compression tested by VW and bore wear checked
3. If the report is ok we proceed with sale and discuss price further, otherwise my deposit is refunded.

Last edited:
Hello.

Assuming your are referring to a T5 180 BiTDI engined Cali.
I think that your proposal will give you some reassurance that what you are buying does not have a problem today, but if one is to believe the "evidence" available on the www a type "A" EGR may cause an issue at some point. The most you could do is factor in the cost of replacing the EGR for a "D" type and be pro-active and change it.

If I was the Seller and you were buying then my advice to you would be the following.
1. No - unless you can show me some Class 1 evidence, and a Facebook group is not evidence.
2. Buying any 2nd hand vehicle then the risk is always with the buyer.
You want a compression test or oil test or AA inspection then you pay.

We sold our 180 back to VW dealership A type EGR 63k. New buyer funded compression test and decided not to buy as issues picked up. No oil usage. Given the possible issues I would not buy a 180 now with confidence unless the price reflects possible worse case scenario or comes with a good warranty. You pay your money and you take your chance.

So it's a 140HP then :thumb

Been stung before with Turbo and DPF on our old '57 plate Cali, once bitten.

Last edited:
Is that Euro5 and 6s

So it's a 140HP then :thumb

Been stung before with Turbo and DPF on our old '57 plate Cali, once bitten.
I've learnt something there, didn't think the old 5 cylinder round nose T5s had DPFs.

Back