Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying brand new Vs dealer stock

B

Baryon

Hi

We will be looking for our first Cali in October and I was wondering what is best to buy for value for money, dealer stock or brand new factory order. I am assuming in October there could be some deals to be had? I am not looking for hi spec so long as it has privacy glass I will be happy, just want a good deal :D

Thanks

Baz

Probably the obvious answer, but in my experience.

Dealer stock - will be used - albeit with very low mileage
Dealer stock - will have a random extras - in our case this was a bonus as we got a much higher spec than we needed.

The obvious is also true:
Ordering New - will be all yours and brand new
Ordering New - you can set your own spec.

Our experience was that we got a van worth £51,570 for £42,745.

Which is 17% discount, and I guess you can get between 9-10% off a new van if you haggle and use sites like drive-the-deal.

But the biggest thing for us was the fact that we could get the van in a week - rather than wait 12-16 weeks for a build - we were buying in May so this was a bigger deal for us than you by the sound of things.

T

Thanks T

What I think I will do is see what is out there with the dealers in October and compare with the brand new price in the brochure minus 9%, if the saving is enough it will be a no brainer.

If you are waiting until October to purchase a new California I would make sure that the roof corrosion issue (the front fixed section and the pop top) has been sorted on the production line before purchasing. :thumb

Think if you will ever want a tow bar? I would doubt dealer / demonstrator stock would have this extra. So if you want to tow or fit a bike rack you would have to have this retro fitted which is a big expensive job on the California.

Standard tow bar is demountable and plug in electrics take care of rear parking sensors, easy for VW to do when building it.

I got 8% discount from my dealer so you should be able to negotiate that with no problem.

Hi this is my first post. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum as I am looking to purchase at the moment and like yourself I don't need a vehicle until October.

The best discount available now is 10% either via Drive the Deal or I have found a dealer who can match that direct. if you order now its Oct delivery. I am looking at the Beach model though and all the ones the were or are sat in dealers are too basic in terms of spec.

If you are after the SE model then I think you have more chance of getting a discount from current dealer its just a case of trying all dealers.

I found that the VW Van website to be very good in searching for used vehicles also Autotrader but be careful as some dealers use the same picture for multiple vehicles.

I have to say that SMG were probably the most helpful but by no means the best price.

Hope that helps

Our Cali was a great saving by getting from "stock" more extras saving best part of 7k or 8k on list price bought at the end of season. 99miles on clock all bed still had plastic covers but best bit was no wait If bying again I would do the same :hello

sbmcd said:
Think if you will ever want a tow bar? I would doubt dealer / demonstrator stock would have this extra. So if you want to tow or fit a bike rack you would have to have this retro fitted which is a big expensive job on the California.

Standard tow bar is demountable and plug in electrics take care of rear parking sensors, easy for VW to do when building it.

I got 8% discount from my dealer so you should be able to negotiate that with no problem.

Actually you can get Wesfalia detachable tow bar (OEM part) with fitting for around £500.
Or if that way inclined purchase parts & fit yourself around £340 for parts then needs to be coded with VCDS , some members have software & are willing to do this.

Yes it is very expensive to have one fitted by dealer.