Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying for use in UK/Europe then export to the antipodes

Ken M

Ken M

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
G’day everyone,

First post here – after some advice as we are buying a Cali!

We are currently Australian expats in the UK and will be here for another 2 years or so. We have been here for 6 months already and have been doing a fair amount of car camping (25 nights, 11 different camp sites both in the UK and France so far) but keen to take the comfort up a notch or two. We have a 10 day trip to Ireland planned for a fortnight’s time so looking at a quick purchase.

We are looking at an Ocean or late model SE and are not yet decided on new or used. I am well aware of the issues with the roof corrosion on both models and happy to accept it as a cost of ownership. Out current thinking is that we will most likely export it to Australia when we head back home in late 2019.

We accept that any residual warranty on a vehicle wouldn’t be covered once we got to Australia, but the issues associated with roof corrosion issues are a consideration. As VW do not import Calis into Australia there would be no knowledge or expertise that we would be able to tap into if works were required. To that point, I would appreciate thoughts about whether a newer T6 would be a better option over a T5 (that potentially has already had the rectification works completed). Or, will an older vehicle that has already been 'fixed' be less of a worry? Are the issues on the T6 a cheaper repair (my read of the forums is that it is only effecting the raising roof section and not the front panel)? How long are VW honoring corrosion warranties for on T5 - 3 or 6 years (I recall that I read somewhere that VW were withdrawing/reducing corrosion warranty to 3 years only)?

Finally, awesome forum. Lots of good info here. Hoping that we will be able to contribute over the coming months and years.

Ken

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
The T5.1 suffered from the 'Corrosion ' problem on the fixed front roof section and the elevating roof. But the problem with the Front roof section was fixed on Model Year 2015, so July 2014 onwards is fine, just the elevating roof. The T6 still has the problem on the elevating section.
As far as I am aware the Paint Warranty is 3 yrs on the T6 but 6 years on the T5.1. Not sure about the MY 2015 T5.1 Californias.
The Elevating Roof repair is not difficult and any quality paint shop could fix that.

G’day everyone,

First post here – after some advice as we are buying a Cali!

We are currently Australian expats in the UK and will be here for another 2 years or so. We have been here for 6 months already and have been doing a fair amount of car camping (25 nights, 11 different camp sites both in the UK and France so far) but keen to take the comfort up a notch or two. We have a 10 day trip to Ireland planned for a fortnight’s time so looking at a quick purchase.

We are looking at an Ocean or late model SE and are not yet decided on new or used. I am well aware of the issues with the roof corrosion on both models and happy to accept it as a cost of ownership. Out current thinking is that we will most likely export it to Australia when we head back home in late 2019.

We accept that any residual warranty on a vehicle wouldn’t be covered once we got to Australia, but the issues associated with roof corrosion issues are a consideration. As VW do not import Calis into Australia there would be no knowledge or expertise that we would be able to tap into if works were required. To that point, I would appreciate thoughts about whether a newer T6 would be a better option over a T5 (that potentially has already had the rectification works completed). Or, will an older vehicle that has already been 'fixed' be less of a worry? Are the issues on the T6 a cheaper repair (my read of the forums is that it is only effecting the raising roof section and not the front panel)? How long are VW honoring corrosion warranties for on T5 - 3 or 6 years (I recall that I read somewhere that VW were withdrawing/reducing corrosion warranty to 3 years only)?

Finally, awesome forum. Lots of good info here. Hoping that we will be able to contribute over the coming months and years.

Ken
I'm not sure if VW sell T6 vans in Australia with the Euro6 engine, whereas the T6 California ONLY comes with the Euro6 engine. This could be a problem with regards to servicing and parts etc.
A late T5.1 California SE or Beach might be better, unless VW intends to sell T6 vans with the Euro6 engine in Australia in the next few years.

Thanks WG.

The advice in regards to the engine was something that I had not yet thought about. The current standard for light commercial new vehicles is Euro5 and I believe Euro6 from 2020. VW do import the T6 which have the 2.0 TDI450 but do not state to which standard it is rated to. I will look into it further.

Regards,
Ken

Welcome , live now and enjoy .... don't worry about things to come ...;)

Back