Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Registering a Cali in NSW, Australia

Ken M

Ken M

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, is there anyone on the forum who has actually gone through the process of importing a Cali to Australia and then went through the process to get it registered? We are starting to plan our return to the Antipodes which may be as early as later this year and I am interested in others' experiences. As the title implies, we will be returning to NSW.

Some of the challenges that I am expecting are:
  • Gas. Certification and compliance - did you experience any significant issues between UK and AS requirements? Butane to LPG - is there anything that needs to be done to the plumbing or the hobs? Are there any gas bottles in Australia that actually fit in the water container recess in the wardrobe?
  • Electricity. Again, certification and compliance? Did the UK plugs raise any issues? Ideally it will be just a case of putting a new (local) plug on the end of the mains power cord and therefore no modification to the van...
  • Tinting. I am about to go for increasing the tinting on our van but am vaguely aware that rego authorities can be rather pedantic about tints. Any issues?
  • GMV rating. I have had our van uprated to 3400kg here in the UK. I'm assuming that NSW RTA would accept the engineering as given and register the vehicle as the same GMV - am I being naive?
Anything else that you experienced that you weren't expecting or caused undue stress?

Ken

Hi, is there anyone on the forum who has actually gone through the process of importing a Cali to Australia and then went through the process to get it registered? We are starting to plan our return to the Antipodes which may be as early as later this year and I am interested in others' experiences. As the title implies, we will be returning to NSW.

• Gas. Certification and compliance - did you experience any significant issues between UK and AS requirements? Butane to LPG - is there anything that needs to be done to the plumbing or the hobs? Are there any gas bottles in Australia that actually fit in the water container recess in the wardrobe?
  • Electricity. Again, certification and compliance? Did the UK plugs raise any issues? Ideally it will be just a case of putting a new (local) plug on the end of the mains power cord and therefore no modification to the van...
  • Tinting. I am about to go for increasing the tinting on our van but am vaguely aware that rego authorities can be rather pedantic about tints. Any issues?
  • GMV rating. I have had our van uprated to 3400kg here in the UK. I'm assuming that NSW RTA would accept the engineering as given and register the vehicle as the same GMV - am I being naive?
Anything else that you experienced that you weren't expecting or caused undue stress?

Ken
Hi Ken, we imported our T6 Ocean in 2018, regarding gas, plumbing is fine, no need to modify, a local 2kg bottle fits in with a mod to the hose connection and right angle fitting on the bottle end.
You will need to change the 240v plug, everything else is compliant.
Not sure about tinting one Cali has tinting although not very obvious.
Just be aware there are Auto engineers that will treat the Cali as a conversion and insist on ripping the kitchen out and keeping it for a month.
I had no problems with an Engineering firm in Melbourne.
Happy to help, just email me sandymcp@bigpond.net.au
BTW you can check our group in Australian “VW California Owners in Australia”
cheers Sandy

Attachments

• 4C41B5E3-49DE-4629-96F0-B37F860D55CC.jpeg
    4C41B5E3-49DE-4629-96F0-B37F860D55CC.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 8

Ken
Hi Ken,

I'm guessing dealerships like VW Sydney should be able to assist in parts as back in July they sold about 30 California Beach 6.1's and hopefully will start to become familiar.

Back