Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying second (or third) hand . . .

A

Ally

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, we're looking at used Californias and it will be our first. I'm not sure about auto vs manual and also are there certain questions we should be asking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Martin - that helps. Looks like I'm in for a steep learning curve!

Hi, we're looking at used Californias and it will be our first. I'm not sure about auto vs manual and also are there certain questions we should be asking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think it would be helpful to be more specific about what you're after.

For example if you have a budget of £25-30k then the Auto vs Manual is a different conversation as the Auto was changed in 2010 (I believe), also the engines changed too. Ones over 6 years will be out of warranty with regards to the roof issues (don't let this put you off!)

£30-35k budget can get you a good early facelift towards the top end, VW warranty has expired on these though

If you're budget is over £35-40k, then you get closer ex-demo and getting Cali's in warranty.

It's a long research journey (but fun) the more info you can give the more everyone can help :)

Ok, to be more specific, £25-30k. Ideally nearer 25. I think we're looking at 07/08 for that...

Hi Ally,

With the early ones at around that price point I don't think there is too much choice, if it was me I wouldn't be too fussy about the spec I would go for one that's been looked after.

It'll be a case of finding a nice one rather than having the choice of loads.

hi
Theres a high mileage one LHD on ebay at the moment at £20k thats the cheapest I've ever seen.

Hi Ally,

With the early ones at around that price point I don't think there is too much choice, if it was me I wouldn't be too fussy about the spec I would go for one that's been looked after.

It'll be a case of finding a nice one rather than having the choice of loads.

Thanks, sounds like good advice as you're right, there really isn't much out there at the price we're looking at. I'm still wondering about the manual vs auto thing on pre 2010 vehicles.

£20k is tempting, cheers for the info - but I'm immediately put off by the mileage and LHD so think we'll pay the extra.

Thanks, sounds like good advice as you're right, there really isn't much out there at the price we're looking at. I'm still wondering about the manual vs auto thing on pre 2010 vehicles.

£20k is tempting, cheers for the info - but I'm immediately put off by the mileage and LHD so think we'll pay the extra.

Not based on much, but at that age I would go for a manual, I could be wrong but the auto boxes on VW / Audis around that time cost a small fortune to replace.

Not based on much, but at that age I would go for a manual, I could be wrong but the auto boxes on VW / Audis around that time cost a small fortune to replace.

You're not wrong, saw little change for £3k when Auto box on our 06 Cali gave up after only 75k, apparently this 6 speed is not the most reliable.