Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why should we get a Cali ?

DirkSquareJaw said:
Popped over to York today and drove a 180 manual. It was in totally different league :thumb .
There is no chance we'll consider any thing else! We just have to hire one for a few days and then make a final decision.
They are mind bogglingly expensive at the dealers. So, how have people found buying them used from a private owner?
I always get the impression that they're sold just before the 1st mot and not long before the warranty expires. This would indicate low confidence in reliability - 'we've had our fun. Lets unload so some one else picks up the bill/faults', seller culture.

I'd like folks honest experiences with buying used, trade included. Good and bad.

:thanks

I think people sell them like that because they are getting the best of both worlds, the vehicle is covered whilst they have the van and after the three years, they've lost very little money. if you can afford to, why not? You are right though, a lot are sold like this.

There are many older Cali's and many on this forum, their owners can tell you about running an older Cali :)
James

DirkSquareJaw said:
I always get the impression that they're sold just before the 1st mot and not long before the warranty expires. This would indicate low confidence in reliability - 'we've had our fun. Lets unload so some one else picks up the bill/faults', seller culture.

I'd like folks honest experiences with buying used, trade included. Good and bad.

:thanks
I've read lots of threads where people are putting or have just put their Cali in for a list of jobs to be done prior to the warranty expiring. The VW warranty seems so good that anyone would be mad to let it expire without having all outstanding issues seen to.
My guess is that it wouldn't be a bad time to buy. The seller would no doubt have paperwork to show what had been done or if still some warranty remaining you would be able to arrange repairs.
Some people just like to update vehicle every few years.

I hope your hire goes well and happy Cali hunting :thumb

Interesting question :thumb I seriously considered changing mine at 2 years
But after seeing the problems people were having with newer models
I decided by updating it I could be a lot worse off
The warranty has run out now and if I get a problem I will deal with it
My cali is part of my family and will be staying :thumb

Calikev said:
Interesting question :thumb I seriously considered changing mine at 2 years
But after seeing the problems people were having with newer models
I decided by updating it I could be a lot worse off
The warranty has run out now and if I get a problem I will deal with it
My cali is part of my family and will be staying :thumb

Funny as shocking as it sounds I considered chopping in Betty Custard for a DSG Beach but there's a price to pay for DSG - there is a demo Beach DSG demo for sale and it come with a premium

Also Betty Custard is quite unique after my tinkering :)

James

I have always sold my vehicles once warranty ends and MOT starts with the exception of my last two BMW's where I had extended warranty options.

In some cases this has been painfully expensive but with the cali depreciation, or lack of it, being what it is then it becomes a no-brainer for someone like me who has only to look at a spanner or screwdriver to have half the planet diving for cover.

Having just made the leap and done a LOT of research and footwork in 2013 (especially as I liked the new Transit!) here is why I chose the cali

1) Manufactured by the manufacturer from the start as a cali; including warranty of course but watch the video on youtube of manufacture.

2) Residual value - more people will be looking for a Cali in 10 years time than a Wellhouse.

3) Fit and finish - EVERY conversion I looked at, whether T5 or other base vehicle feels like someone lobbed some cupboards in the back! The Cali just feels far more like it is meant to be there. Even the "cupboards" are aluminium, will not rot in the distant future, and are lighter.

4) The little things - seats in the tailgate, table in the door, things you will have to carry and take up space. Gas bottle is in the water tank - explosion risk minimised!

Ours is a daily drive and is actually less wide than we thought - long yes, but it is not so wide at the Land Rover it replaced!

Coz they iz kool. :cool

And the reasons above. :mrgreen:

I too trawled through the aftermarket conversions before settling on a (slightly) more expensive California.

It's our daily transport (though I commute by cycle & my wife works from home) and it's a breeze. We've a 2011 180 DSG SE (no paint issues!) which is a tad thirsty but beautiful to drive (I originally wanted a manual but so glad this one came up) - We've an-almost-2 year old boy and he loves it. It's especially good at devouring the weekly shop too [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

The only other thing I can add to these very valid points by everyone is one word; resale. Nothing holds it's value like a Cali and it's easy to see why. When (if!) you ever choose to sell the "VW California / VW Camper" search phrase alone is the most popular out there. People all just know what you get with a Cali & there are no surprises (or caravan-esque interiors). The quality and durability won't let you down.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This might have been said before but if you would like to go anywhere (as you initially described) then there is a Cali for you.
Motorhomes can't go anywhere. They are too big whereas a Cali fits in the narrowest Portuguese or Spanish street and often is chameleon like in the way it blends into the local scenery.
There are people on this forum that have stayed in the centre of European cities and have not been bothered. Imagine that in a big white van?
The Cali is versatile, reliable and fun.
I don't use mine as much as I should but it is huge fun when I do. And I've only ever stayed one night on a site.
I love the fact that virtually anywhere it's possible to wild camp off the beaten track.