Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cabin Air Intake

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have an unusual smell in my cabin which I cannot find the source. It’s like a mild stale tobacco smell. Neither of us smoke. The van hasn’t had much use lately what with lockdown so I suspect it may be coming from the A/C. It’s always on whilst driving. I have bought an Autoglym A/C cleaner and the instructions say place in passenger footwell. However I am not sure the internal air intake is located there. Does anyone know where the internal cabin air intake is?

Has the pollen filter been replaced?
Cracked EGR Cooler pipe?
Check for soot caused by a crack on the rear EGR concertina pipe as it might be exhaust fumes.

I have an unusual smell in my cabin which I cannot find the source. It’s like a mild stale tobacco smell. Neither of us smoke. The van hasn’t had much use lately what with lockdown so I suspect it may be coming from the A/C. It’s always on whilst driving. I have bought an Autoglym A/C cleaner and the instructions say place in passenger footwell. However I am not sure the internal air intake is located there. Does anyone know where the internal cabin air intake is?
The instructions should say, 'Set system to re-circulation mode' and then the air intake is from the passenger footwell.
I've recently done mine and this has improved the air quality considerably. Change the pollen filter at the same time! If changing it seems impossible due to the location have a search on the T6 Forum I know the answer is there somewhere as I had problems until I learned how it's done.

Thanks for fast response Loz. I’ll check pollen filter but it was serviced in May so i trust its been replaced. Whats an EGR pipe and where is it? I have aired van with windows open all day yesterday yet it still smells not having been started so I suspect the cause is non engine based but need to eliminate everything.

The instructions should say, 'Set system to re-circulation mode' and then the air intake is from the passenger footwell.
I've recently done mine and this has improved the air quality considerably. Change the pollen filter at the same time! If changing it seems impossible due to the location have a search on the T6 Forum I know the answer is there somewhere as I had problems until I learned how it's done.
When you did yours did you place the can in the passenger footwell , as per instructions? If so I’ll do the same.

When you did yours did you place the can in the passenger footwell , as per instructions? If so I’ll do the same.
That's where the recirculation air intake is, high in the footwell.

Might be more effective to have an aircon service at an independent garage, they can check the pipework etc and give it a clean through.

Might be more effective to have an aircon service at an independent garage, they can check the pipework etc and give it a clean through.
I don't think they change the pollen filter that can get mouldy and minging. The "Aircon service" refers to a re-gas.

Depends where you go? Get a pollen filter easy to fit my local garage uses an antibac spray on the aircon system, tops up the gas if needed.

Well I sprayed the Autoglym stuff into the van. For an hour or so it had a fresh smell but now its back to this smell of tobacco. Tried looking at the pollen filter but was foiled by the size of the bolt head on the filter. Will need to buy a small socket to get the cover off. Its a bugger as we are off on our travels at the weekend, in the UK. Maybe a good long drive, an airing with the roof up and the door open for an extended period will do the trick. Pretty certain its not mechanical as it smells when I first open door in morning. The missus can't smell anything untoward and says I am being paranoid and to stop keep mentioning it every time we go in the van.

perhaps she is sneaking out there at night for a crafty smoke?

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remain, no matter how improbable, must be the truth - as a certain detective used to say

Well I sprayed the Autoglym stuff into the van. For an hour or so it had a fresh smell but now its back to this smell of tobacco. Tried looking at the pollen filter but was foiled by the size of the bolt head on the filter. Will need to buy a small socket to get the cover off. Its a bugger as we are off on our travels at the weekend, in the UK. Maybe a good long drive, an airing with the roof up and the door open for an extended period will do the trick. Pretty certain its not mechanical as it smells when I first open door in morning. The missus can't smell anything untoward and says I am being paranoid and to stop keep mentioning it every time we go in the van.
I'm not intending to be rude, but you did have the AirCon running on Re-circulation mode and high fan speed, not automatic, whilst spraying the can into the air intake and then leaving it running with doors and windows closed for at least 10 to 15 minutes or longer.

I'm not intending to be rude, but you did have the AirCon running on Re-circulation mode and high fan speed, not automatic, whilst spraying the can into the air intake and then leaving it running with doors and windows closed for at least 10 to 15 minutes or longer.
That's exactly what I did along with a pollen filter change and it seems to have cured the problem.

The filter change looks impossible until you realise that you can squash the filter length ways both to remove the old one and fit the new one. I don't have a spanner that easily fits the lid securing screw but usually unscrew it with a pair of pliers.