Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No More Smelly Air Con

Custardtart

Custardtart

My van's a/c has started to smell when it's first turned on. I've tried a few bombs which seem to fix it for a short while then it comes back.

Today I bit the bullet and did the job properly and was surprised how easy it was.

I bought some stuff from EB that should be sprayed directly onto the evaporator. I found some instructions (for a different product actually) that helped me find the evaporator. This is a link to the instructions I used:

https://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx/med_OTOF-9GFEZS_3CE023/$file/VW T5 englisch.pdf

I also cleaned the pollen filter which I suspect was the main culprit as the evaporator looked really clean. I blew it out then sprayed with antif-fungal/bacterial spray and left in the sun to dry. I'll probably order a new one though.

I haven't been out in it yet but am confident this will do the trick because:

1. it gets a high concentration of mould killer directly onto the source of the mould
2. it doesn't squirt stuff down the vents which could damage the flap motors or other electrics (maybe - I don't know)
3. it was surprisingly easy.

Maybe it's common knowledge already - but if not hope it helps.

I've never had this problem, but then I leave the AC on all the time.:thumb

I never turn my AC off either but it started smelling musty when it was about 2 years old.

I'm not sure why - we've had cars that have either never had a problem or at worst lasted much longer before needing cleaning.

Unlike the cars, the van isn't used daily and sits outside in the sun. I don't know if they're factors.

Ah, mine is used as my daily drive, already clocked up over 13,000 miles in 7 months.

Suffering from smelly air con!
I’m about to try a second dose of the aerosol “bomb” and want to get it drawn into the internal recirculating intake. I’m assuming it’s in the passenger footwell.... through the pollen filter but wondered if anyone could confirm?

Take out the pollen filter before doing that, it will block the bomb circulation.
I sprayed my evaporator on the visible side, because I can't reach the other side.
The visible side is not dirty either, and the pollen filter was renewed.
I would have taken out the evaporator, but then the complete dashboard would have to be taken out. :oops:
Now it's back cleaner air to breathe in, but I think I will have to give it a go at least every 2 years, or even every year from now.
Daily driver, and airco only on when it's hot or humid.

I repalced my pollen filter earlier this year, there was loads of dried leaves
and crap behind it.
After doing it i was back to the newish smell, didn't do any
spraying.
I always have the aircon on.

Take out the pollen filter before doing that, it will block the bomb circulation.
I sprayed my evaporator on the visible side, because I can't reach the other side.
The visible side is not dirty either, and the pollen filter was renewed.
I would have taken out the evaporator, but then the complete dashboard would have to be taken out. :oops:
Now it's back cleaner air to breathe in, but I think I will have to give it a go at least every 2 years, or even every year from now.
Daily driver, and airco only on when it's hot or humid.
Thanks, my first attempt didn’t last, so I will take your advice and take the filter out... cheers.

I have always wondered where the pollen filter is on our T5? Is it easy to get to?

Alan

I have always wondered where the pollen filter is on our T5? Is it easy to get to?

Alan
No.
On a left hooker its up under the footwell, should be the opposite
on a RHD.

You will need a double jointed back and if you had 3 hands that would
make it a bit easier.

A 5.5mm socket is needed to remove the plastic that holds it in.

This video is pretty good. Changed mine today. £3.60 from Europarts.

I’m looking at this as my van has started smelling of tomato soup / spag bol, after warming it up from ice cold in the recent snow using the engine and diesel heater.

We’ve not really cooked in the van, but previous owner did I suspect and it’s always smelled a bit ropey.

Have a feeling I’ve already had the PF changed, but I was wondering if any of the other air systems had replaceable / cleanable filters - ie the rear ventilation system and also the diesel heater?

I’m going to start with Milton in the waste tank as I’ve run some cleaner thru it but not sterilised it.

I’ve also done a double car bomb thru it before which lasted for a week or so before the smells came back.

The best-easy way to prevent the damp smell is to keep the AC on at all times as the AUTO setting applies.
AC evaporates any moisture in the vent system and keeps all parts dried - free from the smell.
Changing filters & Aircon bombs are all just temporary, the hard way is to keep the system dry every time you use them. Turn the air hot for 10 min before you turn the engine off.

Back