Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali coming soon

P

PAKlite

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone,

Picking up my 2016 Ocean 204 DSG next week, it's been a long and tortuous journey......

Dreaming of campervan adventure for many months and researching various options online, last summer I looked at a Westfalia Joker, for the onboard toilet and shower - but didn't like the layout overall. I then test drove a 64 plate California 140 DSG, very nice, but didn't think it was for me - wrong side sliding door, top loading fridge etc, and a bit more than I had intended to pay!

Went down the conversion route to the point of buying a nearly new Highline 150 DSG panel van as a base vehicle. Subsequently rejected the van after discovering 'previous history', and loath to part with similar money to complete the conversion on a questionable base - all very depressing. Next move pricing up a conversion to my demanding spec based on a brand new vehicle - result?...... Easily in new California Ocean with bells and whistles territory!

Almost gave up on the whole idea, and feeling very despondent, put it on the back burner for a while - get Christmas out the way and a rethink in the new year.

And here I am, less than a week away from becoming a Cali owner after all???

Reading the various comments on this forum of the benefits and joys of California ownership, and despite all the annoying little foibles listed, I decided to go for it and to hell with the consequences. If it doesn't work out the California must surely be the way to go in terms of popularity and least depreciation for resale? I saw the Ocean for sale locally, went to view, a test drive followed by a bit of negotiation and paid a deposit there and then. I'm done with procrastination, you're only here once - no good wishing years down the line "if only I'd tried that whilst I still had my faculties!"

I do still have most of my faculties by the way.......

Cool... I’m sure you won’t regret it ... but an interesting path getting there...

Your journey sounds quite similar to mine.
One thing that was initialy a disappointment before deciding on a California was the top loading fridge where my mind couldn't get past something with a front door. However the top loader was an instant hit. Wait till you try it, we got a weeks worth in there for 2 adults and an 11 year old very well without mentionable hassle when using it. That was on a hire vehicle but still waiting to use ours,

Welcome to the forum. Any peculiarities will soon be forgotten as you get used to them and you are having fun in your cali.

Welcome! And as I can not say often enough: Our only regrets is that we did not take the plunge 20 years ago ;-)

My journey is a mirror of your own. Currently torn between opting at an older cali T5 & keeping family car or just cashing in & buying nearly new ocean which is doable but a fair stretch. As you say the journey has been torturous thus far but sure it’ll be worth it. Congrats on the purchase.

Thank you all for your welcome and comments, I'm sure I will come to love the Cali despite my initial worries about certain aspects. The sliding door on the 'wrong side' could end up being an advantage not having to walk around the van to use it. And the fridge is probably more efficient as a top loader?

I am lucky enough to be able to keep my car and buy the Cali. At the beginning I hadn't realised how much these things cost, and it took some time to get my head around parting with such a large sum. I eventually decided I would push the budget and go for the the Euro6 engine - wanting to believe the hype that this is the cleanest Diesel engine ever. I do prefer Diesel engines for various reasons.