Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali love

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Apart from the hardcore few, I'm sure most of our Calis spend the Winter just being "an expensive van."

For us, we wonder whether we should keep it; it's heavy on fuel, it's a big lump and apart from bike transport, the size isn't that useful.

Then you do your first camp of the year like we did; everything (usually) works, it's a pleasure to drive, the electric roof is STILL a novelty, the heating works a treat as the dusk rapidly turns to a chilly Spring night, that cup of tea first thing in the morning feels great. The grin returns and it al makes sense again.

Nice to have the love back again!

KernowLad said:
Apart from the hardcore few, I'm sure most of our Calis spend the Winter just being "an expensive van."

For us, we wonder whether we should keep it; it's heavy on fuel, it's a big lump and apart from bike transport, the size isn't that useful.

Then you do your first camp of the year like we did; everything (usually) works, it's a pleasure to drive, the electric roof is STILL a novelty, the heating works a treat as the dusk rapidly turns to a chilly Spring night, that cup of tea first thing in the morning feels great. The grin returns and it al makes sense again.

Nice to have the love back again!

I truly empathise with your post ,but am determined to be hardcore and use it through the winter months :D

Kernowlad
After 8 days of dawn to dusk sunshine in Dorset and Cornwall I fully agree
We love our van again.

I was surprised how we had forgotten our routine of setting up camp. By last autumn me and my wife had become a well oiled example of efficiency in setting up camp ( we almost started speaking german) - about 10 minutes from pulling up to having the tea cooking.
Took us a few days to get back into the swing of it.
Paul and Ceri
Aka Helmut and Helga :D

I have to admit, we were a bit rusty too! Forgot a couple of minor bits but nothing too major.

No idea why ppl don't use them in winter, especially now it's so mild, we hired twice last winter and it was dream out camping with no one around.

No problem as a couple but with two young kids, Winter camping is tricky. The van is fine but half the fun for them is playing outside; not good in force 10 winds and driving rain.

Back