Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali modifications

foxy-rob

foxy-rob

VIP Member
Wanted to share some recent modifications we’ve done to our Cali. Without the info we found on the forum we wouldn’t have done it. So thanks to all who’ve posted tips on wardrobe shelves and the drawer system. Absolutely brilliant!!!

75FE20C9-C070-45F7-8286-58A46023AFD6.jpeg

DCB2066B-4C9A-4591-9A2A-80AEAAB19F4E.jpeg

9CA2A6D0-EC2A-4863-BF80-0F8318EDFA32.jpeg

4D758FF1-C623-459E-98FD-5E35D985D7CC.jpeg

EB732450-6C37-424A-8375-E25C1B68E59C.jpeg

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
I’m probably in the minority that hang clothes in the wardrobe but can see the appeal of shelving, particularly like the vertical light in there.

That looks good.

There is always something that can be improved. It took us a while to find our "camping workflow" which was important to us to decide what changes we would like to add. Following this idea we change the following during the years:

Pull out drawer in the boot
2nd drawer under the bench
Shelves in the big wardrobe
Adding additional drawers in the wardrobe
Got VW to install a dashcam

What I am still looking for is a compass (that halfway works). It is just a gizmo, but difficult to find something that is affordable and works.

Happy California,
Eberhard

That looks good.

There is always something that can be improved. It took us a while to find our "camping workflow" which was important to us to decide what changes we would like to add. Following this idea we change the following during the years:

What I am still looking for is a compass (that halfway works). It is just a gizmo, but difficult to find something that is affordable and works.

Happy California,
Eberhard
If you have the SatNav then you have a pretty accurate compass display on the MFD.

Like the socket & led strip light in the cupboard. Any guides on how you did them?

I had the shelves and took them
Out. Found them too restrictive particularly with the seats up and stuff in the boot, could reach over and get stuff from the bottom of the wardrobe.

These days I pack into suitcase packing cubes and just Chuck them in the wardrobe. Much easier to get stuff for the kids through the tamper door when the seats are up.

I like the socket and light inside. That’s good

That looks good.

Happy California,
Eberhard
Lots of Smartphone Apps that provide a compass.

Or just use a simple one such as>

Is the plug socket connected to the hookup or the inverter?

That looks good.

Happy California,
Eberhard
what about compass on your mobile phone?

Good afternoon,

A normal comass is difficult to see. My mobile phone is used with Google Maps.

The only option, I agree, is a mobile phone with a compass app. I will get a "splitter" to split the power cable from my dash cam to the mobile phone, then I will see if I get a used, cheap mobile phone and start to test ist.

It is a bit anoying. In my Tiguan it was integrated in the dashboard (no navigation module installed). It worked quite well. But in a 2017 California there is nothing (well at least in mine). I thought that especially in a vehicel designed for a lot of travelling a compass would be helpful.

But as I said, it is only a gimmick that I would love to have.

Navigation California,
Eberhard

That looks good.

Happy California,
Eberhard
Got a smartphone Eberhard? My iphone has a decent compass.

Got a smartphone Eberhard? My iphone has a decent compass.

I have a smartphone, but I used this for Google maps. So it is in the clove department connected via USB cable to the radio.

I guess I will get an used, entry level mobile phone and use this as a compass (I can't see any other way). I will get the power from the dashcam (splitter).

The reason why I have not done it is, even thought it is an used entry level phone I can't leave it in the van, also I might need to take it off if I want to close the blinds (I have to take of the dashcam aleady if I want to close the blinds).

As if I had not other problems... :rolleyes: .

Happy California,
Eberhard

I have a smartphone, but I used this for Google maps. So it is in the clove department connected via USB cable to the radio.

I guess I will get an used, entry level mobile phone and use this as a compass (I can't see any other way). I will get the power from the dashcam (splitter).

The reason why I have not done it is, even thought it is an used entry level phone I can't leave it in the van, also I might need to take it off if I want to close the blinds (I have to take of the dashcam aleady if I want to close the blinds).

As if I had not other problems... :rolleyes: .

Happy California,
Eberhard
Plenty of inexpensive car compasses on amazon (and your satnav has a compass).

Plenty of inexpensive car compasses on amazon (and your satnav has a compass).

Correct, I tried a standard car compass from "Richter" (German company .. pff), which was a waste of money.

So far I have not found a way in Google maps to show the map and a nice compas rose.

Navigation California,
Eberhard

Correct, I tried a standard car compass from "Richter" (German company .. pff), which was a waste of money.

So far I have not found a way in Google maps to show the map and a nice compas rose.

Navigation California,
Eberhard
I understand the 'gizmo' attraction. And indeed most car compasses are not more than toys. You should look for sailing equipment, with wide range of precisions, LED-lit, sunshades, magnetic compensation options, heat resistances,...

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-22 om 07.42.21.jpg
Schermafbeelding 2021-02-22 om 07.15.02.jpg

Last edited:
Locating a traditional magnetic compass is very problematic due to the magnetic fields generated by speakers and electronics in vehicles.
GPS based system will be the most accurate.

Looks good. Did you fit the extra mains socket in the wardrobe by yourself? Any tips on how to do it?
I got a local electrician to fit it & had the USB connection as well - it really is worth doing

Hi Rob

very nice indeed, where did you source the shelving from ? Was it a kit or something you made up ? Nick.
We bought the shelving kit and the drawers from Calicap (Germany) - don't be put off by the fact they're not in the UK - check out previous threads relating to them. It was expensive but so efficient & the build quality is fab

Is the plug socket connected to the hookup or the inverter?
They work off both - local electrician fitted them & we have one above the sliding door for night light - well worth it

I got a local electrician to fit it & had the USB connection as well - it really is worth doing

We bought the shelving kit and the drawers from Calicap (Germany) - don't be put off by the fact they're not in the UK - check out previous threads relating to them. It was expensive but so efficient & the build quality is fab

They work off both - local electrician fitted them & we have one above the sliding door for night light - well worth it
Many thanks Rob

Regards

Nick