Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY Modifications

Zane

Zane

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all. I have a 2016 vw California ocean that I bought a few months ago and have since done some DIY upgrades that might be of interest.
1. Made an aluminium frame to attach a flexible solar panel to the roof rails. Added an Mppt controller and made my own flexible cable to stretch when the pop top opens. Just wrapped some solar cable around a pole and heat it for a while with a heat gun. Works great keeping my batteries topped up to 100%. Just need to tidy the wiring slightly more in the rear cabinet.
2. Managed to buy a second hand shower unit from an ex owner and fitted it myself.
Tricky job as there isn’t much room for your hands in that section.
3. Added a flexible rubber splitter to the front which looks great and only cost $10 NZ!
4. Made a couple of shelves for the wardrobe from a small sheet of ACM and some fluted aluminium angle. Cost less the $50 NZ.
Also managed to buy a second hand maxcamp folding ladder for $150NZ which I would highly recommend if you sleep up top.
Gave it a spray ceramic coating with the turtle wax product. So far it cleans itself when it gets rained on!

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg

I bought it from a local company called TSB living on the NZ trademe site. Approximately $150 NZ delivered.
Doesn’t appear to have a product name other than this, PR8876 Mono Flexible Solar Panel 120W.
It is the perfect length for the frame that I made from aluminium angle to fit between the roof rails.

Specifications:
Material: Shingled Cells
Maximum Power:120W
Open-Circuit Voltage (VOC):22V
Short-Circuit Current (ISC):5.45A
Maximum Power Voltage (VMP):17.8V
Maximum Power Current (IMP):5.6A
Temperature Range:-20°C~ 65°C
Power Tolerance:± 3%
Weight:2.3KG
Dimension:1200x540mm

Back