Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Ocean or Custom Converter..?

camperhov

camperhov

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All,

Have done some background reading, and also used autoebid to find competitive quotes for a Cali Ocean, coming in at £57,500 with no extras.

Also looked at equivalents of Autohaus Ashton, CMC Reimo Trio High Style, Danbury Surf Special Edition (now built by Vanworx) and Vanworx Slipper (VW approved etc).

Wondering what options are (really) needed/advised on the Cali Ocean, and also if anyone has experience of the 4 custom builds listed? Would consider the 150ps DSG.

Also read the Camper King Monte Carlo is good value…

Thanks!

Hi and welcome.

I'd put money on this being one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum. There are more opinions than VW have options.

I'd suggest the search button to answer most of your points and then repose your questions when you have a better idea of what you are needing.

Have fun researching

Hi All,

Have done some background reading, and also used autoebid to find competitive quotes for a Cali Ocean, coming in at £57,500 with no extras.

Also looked at equivalents of Autohaus Ashton, CMC Reimo Trio High Style, Danbury Surf Special Edition (now built by Vanworx) and Vanworx Slipper (VW approved etc).

Wondering what options are (really) needed/advised on the Cali Ocean, and also if anyone has experience of the 4 custom builds listed? Would consider the 150ps DSG.

Also read the Camper King Monte Carlo is good value…

Thanks!
Welcome.

Please share what it is that draws you to the Ocean and to each of the options you have researched. Also what it is you would like to use your camper van for.

When comparing a custom built conversion to the California Ocean, many people find the costs comparable and are swayed towards a California by the potential higher resale value if their circumstances change. On this forum, you will find mostly California owners and a few tough skinned conversion owners who love their bespoke alternatives. Therefore the balance of opinion will be towards a California.

The question: California or Conversion has been answered many times, and that is where I would start my research on this forum. Armed with that information, and us informed with what draws you to the alternatives and how you would like to use them, we will happily offer experience and opinion on what might be the best value and offer the best experience for how you would like to use a camper van.

Good luck.

Last edited:
We looked at conversions before we bought our beach. Camper king vans look lovely, but I’m 5ft 2 and when I sat on the rear bench my head was an inch or two from the roof. As we have two growing boys that wouldn’t work for us long term...... :)
It’s difficult now, I guess, as the NEC motorhome shows were great for being able to see lots of different conversions and try them out to see if they work practically. Lots of things the Cali has such as chairs in boot, decent roof bed, sliding rear bench and swivel driver seat make such a difference in a small van.
Also, I realised very quickly I disliked carpeted walls and curtains that most of the conversions had. I have heard people say they find the Cali utilitarian, but to me it’s practical!
The Cali also felt ‘safer’ as we knew seats, bed, roof etc was crash tested. I guess a conversion from new would also have the test certificates?
It took about a year for us to reach a decision, then we bought the third Cali we looked at. No regrets, it’s fab!

For quality like for like I would go for vanworx. Looking at the options the prices arnt much different but you will always get good resale from the original item as mentioned above.
You can’t really ‘custom’ a California to how you want it so the choice is up to you!

I went through the same research a little over a year ago, visiting several of the conversion folks to assess their stock, I went to a campervan show and I looked at three California stockists in my area .. and umpteen Calis.
I eventually bought an ocean because .......
1. I share my van with my three grown up children and their families and I take my grandchildren away with me. I wanted the reassurance of dealership support through Europe.
2. I was really put off by the carpet walls on most of the conversions I saw.
3. I struggled with the manual roof raising and lowering on the conversions .. and the untidiness of the hatch.
The positives on the conversions were .. the fridges were better, you could spec an oven/microwave ... you could design the interior colour scheme yourself ... in fact the whole bespoke aspect was very appealing once you found a converter with a style you liked.
When I first looked at the Cali, I really thought it wasn‘t “holiday” enough for me .. it felt very grey! And I wanted more Jazz .. so I looked a bit more and Vanworx were my favourite .. and great people there too.
However, ultimately it was the quality of the interior, the great use of space and the versatility of the sliding bench, the neat hatch, the electric roof, the reassurance of the dealership network that finally swung me in the Cali direction.
Since joining the forum and seeing some of the comments on here, many would add that a factory fitted Cali roof is a darn site better than chopping one off a van to put a pop top on.
... so I now have some colourful cushions and a rug on the floor .. and I don’t notice the grey as much as I did before ... but get seat covers, the Cali seats are a nightmare to keep clean.

As said here and many times before all that matters is what works for you. We looked at too many vehicles to mention in our search including new and used Calis. While the Cali ticked several boxes in our requirements list it missed several. We wanted hot water, a built in toilet, some sort of shower and something that is easily usable all year even when below zero outside. But we did not want a Great White - just too big. So we went down the conversion route. Looked at all the converters with a good reputation. Ended up at Autohaus and Tony and Chris adapted their Camelot Highlife build to accommodate our list of needs. We have from new a T6 LWB 150 DSG high top with a bright cream and blue interior, swivel seats, twin rear seats that convert to a double bed, hob, oven, fridge, toilet, central heating, hot water from gas or hookup, shower but out the back but with hot water, solar panels and built in WiFi. It cost a little less than s Cali but not by much. What it does give is exactly what we wanted which a Cali did not. Horses for courses, each to their own. A bonus that has only come to light on joining this group is the excellent customer service from Tony and Chris. There have been niggles and issues. But Tony has sorted these immediately, often over the telephone. One repair had to go back to Minehead but Autohaus paid for my travel as well as doing the repair. The vehicle has full VW warranty and 3 years on the conversion which is crash certified. We love it.

Thanks OGGI california4x4 an-j volkywagen hb19 and wildlcamper for your replies.

I tried to do as much research before posting, and before joining wasn’t able to locate the search function, now I know its there…

california4x4 – I’ve noticed the costs, and see the Calis depreciate well/hold value. The thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/6-1-ocean-2-day-hire-disappointed.36800/page-2 is really good for that detail...

What draws me to others and as hb19 mentioned, the Calis seem to lack flare visually, and things look plain. Granted functional thought. hb19 – good point on the roof, and have read varying reviews of the physical effort to raise other roofs, along with potentially trapping the fabric (bellows are they called?).

And wasn’t aware most conversions carpet on the inside….

an-j – wow, ok, I’m 6 foot so without the roof popped its going to be tight..!!!

Would like…
  • Long weekends, along with a tent for a week away
  • Swivel chairs look great
  • 6 foot so a comfortable driving position, and seating in the passenger seat (single passenger seat)
  • Storage space for a porta potti or equivalent, have seen some conversions with cupboards in the kitchen where it can fit, and know it can go under the back seat in the boot of the Cali Ocean. Have considered the CMC Reimo multi style and Autohaus Camelot with a flushable loo but there doesn’t seem much space using the kitchen at the back…
  • Insulated internally, internal heating, air con in cab.
  • Internal curtains/blinds - have seen some dont have a curtain on the windscreen
  • Water storage for 20+ litres (can live without hot water). Weighting up conversions with limitations where the water is in cupboards and not under the van
  • Possibly an awning
  • Solar panel
  • Based on new T6.1 highline . Probably consider the 150PS DSG. And a T30 which seems to have improved brakes..?
  • VWapproved and 3 year warranty which suggests Vanworx and Autohaus only
  • Homely feel

Wildlcamper – thank you for the detailed response, are the seats comfy to sleep on and how is the space at the back?

Thanks All!

The only advantage a conversion had for us was the passenger side sliding door.
For everything else the ocean made more sense.

Having just hired a newish conversion for the first time I will definitely be spending the extra on a California - you can just tell the difference on it all being custom made & fitting properly

Thanks OGGI california4x4 an-j volkywagen hb19 and wildlcamper for your replies.

I tried to do as much research before posting, and before joining wasn’t able to locate the search function, now I know its there…

california4x4 – I’ve noticed the costs, and see the Calis depreciate well/hold value. The thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/6-1-ocean-2-day-hire-disappointed.36800/page-2 is really good for that detail...

What draws me to others and as hb19 mentioned, the Calis seem to lack flare visually, and things look plain. Granted functional thought. hb19 – good point on the roof, and have read varying reviews of the physical effort to raise other roofs, along with potentially trapping the fabric (bellows are they called?).

And wasn’t aware most conversions carpet on the inside….

an-j – wow, ok, I’m 6 foot so without the roof popped its going to be tight..!!!

Would like…
  • Long weekends, along with a tent for a week away
  • Swivel chairs look great
  • 6 foot so a comfortable driving position, and seating in the passenger seat (single passenger seat)
  • Storage space for a porta potti or equivalent, have seen some conversions with cupboards in the kitchen where it can fit, and know it can go under the back seat in the boot of the Cali Ocean. Have considered the CMC Reimo multi style and Autohaus Camelot with a flushable loo but there doesn’t seem much space using the kitchen at the back…
  • Insulated internally, internal heating, air con in cab.
  • Internal curtains/blinds - have seen some dont have a curtain on the windscreen
  • Water storage for 20+ litres (can live without hot water). Weighting up conversions with limitations where the water is in cupboards and not under the van
  • Possibly an awning
  • Solar panel
  • Based on new T6.1 highline . Probably consider the 150PS DSG. And a T30 which seems to have improved brakes..?
  • VWapproved and 3 year warranty which suggests Vanworx and Autohaus only
  • Homely feel

Wildlcamper – thank you for the detailed response, are the seats comfy to sleep on and how is the space at the back?

Thanks All!
The two rear seats fold down in conjunction with the swiveled front seats to form single beds. Then if required the two singles can be slid together to form a full cabin width double, or you can use a filler. My wife and I find them comfortable but we do use a memory foam topper. Our toilet is a fully plumbed in flushable cassette one that is in its own very discreet cupboard that also holds all the toilet supplies. Don't like the idea of a portapotty made to look like a stool in the main cabin - others will disagree. We think there is plenty of space for the kitchen, others will disagree. However, we don't use an awning, other than that attached to the vehicle. We have plenty of storage space for our needs, again others may disagree. If you want a large boot space we don't have one but then we did not want one. We have plenty of cupboard space in the high top. For photographs go to the "6.1 Ocean 2 Day Hire - Disappointed" thread. Or look on the Autohaus website gallery - look for the Apapulco blue high top in cream and blue leather.
As said, if in reach of Gloucestershire and wish to have a look I can arrange to meet up.

We started our T5 journey in 2009 just as the T5 changed to the T5.1 and our local dealer couldn't find a California for us at the time. We did get a great deal on a late T5 window van 2.5 130, big discount at run out and VAT + 15%. We'd looked at a few convertors and went with Jerba. Simons a good guy, we like there ethos and quality of product and crucially based reasonably close to us. We had 9 great years with that Tiree conversion and loved it. Two other friends also went with Jerba for their vans/replacements after ours.
When we came to change in 2018 we considered other convertors and slightly bigger vans to give more space and facilities but balanced against the extra size and reduced driveability. As Calis were available this time we looked at them seriously and added them to the mix. We were both keen to get 4motion this time to reduce our risk of getting stuck in fields. Doing the sums on a Jerba (or similar conversion) it became clear that costs on a like for like basis were very similar and then we found our current Ocean, an ex-VW management vehicle at a great price and put a deposit down on it without seeing it while on holiday in the other van on Harris!
General thoughts:
  • one of the main things at resale with a conversion is explaining to people the provenance, ours was a new van converted by a VW approved convertor. Not a man in his shed converting builders vans. Not many people understand this with T5/6 and question the price. Calis are much better understood.
  • the Cali feels better engineereed inside, there are fewer creaks from the furnture etc.
  • Yes the Cali is grey inside and the trim marks easily but much nicer than cheap carpet on the walls.
  • You can't tweak the layout with a Cali, would love some more USB outlets and a couple of better positioned LEDs for reading etc
  • No they don't look as bling as a conversion can, but then I'm 49 and not having a mid-life crisis and enjoy stealth wild camping.
Certainly glad we got the Cali I don't regret it. If you do get a conversion do go for a reputable one that won't give problems, will be supported by them and provide a good resale after many years of enjoyment.

We looked at several conversions .. Danbury, Jerba and they had their positives but the Cali just ‘felt right’.
The ‘look’ seems to mean a lot to some on this thread but to us it is ‘functionality’ that matters. Suffice to say our other vehicle is a Subaru Forester !

Hello @camperhov
For many years we have appreciated the advantages of a high roof and LWB and to achieve that end I have resorted to building my own campers (five times) during the past sixteen years. There are full details of our previous one at www.1946vw.co.uk/camper which is now sold. That vehicle is now seven years old and only has a factory high roof but will give you the idea of yet another possibility. Personally I prefer the Reimo roof fitted to a LWB Highline T6 Kombi (with added rear windows) which is what our current version is.
I appreciate that you are a long way from me in Shropshire but you are always welcome to look at or talk about anything to do with such vehicles.

Main area of difference and critical area was the rear 'boot' space offered by the Cali. flexible and practical.

Usual other factors came into it of course.

We looked at several conversions .. Danbury, Jerba and they had their positives but the Cali just ‘felt right’.
The ‘look’ seems to mean a lot to some on this thread but to us it is ‘functionality’ that matters. Suffice to say our other vehicle is a Subaru Forester !
love the boxer engine in the Forester!

Thanks to all for replying. I’ve read all your replies and the info is greatly appreciated.

I’ve been reading more and more what the Cali offers, and saw the video review of the 6.1 cali in the 6-1-ocean-2-day-hire-disappointed forum, and am weighing up all the additional features of a Cali versus a custom.

Warranty/repair is a key thing, and as most of the converters with vw approval are at the opposite end of the country, that’s a con compared to local VW van centres. One converter is very close, but the only known one with good reviews is CMC Reimo.

So I’m slowly coming around to a Cali, and think the single panel above the cab is great to control everything from. How everything fits and such as the foldable chairs and table is just magic too.

I’ve then specced a Cali with the options of:
  • Blue paint
  • Dynamic chassis control – help on motorways etc – really worth it?
  • The 80L tank – is it really needed?
  • Heated front windscreen – as want to use throughout the year
  • Bed extension – I’m 6 foot so assume id benefit.

Are there any other must have options? I’m wondering what the benefit of the sliding rails are…

Autoebid comes in around £60k, saving roughly 10%, and that might improve with autoebids premium offering.

Then there’s a 2015, 29k, 2.0 BiTDI BlueMotion Tech SE on sale (private seller) not far away. So choices choices choices. Benefit is a huge cost saving, and less of an investment for our first foray into campers..Trying to find all the info on the 180 T5 engine as suggested in the help-needed-first-cali-purchase post.

The two rear seats fold down in conjunction with the swiveled front seats to form single beds. Then if required the two singles can be slid together to form a full cabin width double, or you can use a filler. My wife and I find them comfortable but we do use a memory foam topper. Our toilet is a fully plumbed in flushable cassette one that is in its own very discreet cupboard that also holds all the toilet supplies. Don't like the idea of a portapotty made to look like a stool in the main cabin - others will disagree. We think there is plenty of space for the kitchen, others will disagree. However, we don't use an awning, other than that attached to the vehicle. We have plenty of storage space for our needs, again others may disagree. If you want a large boot space we don't have one but then we did not want one. We have plenty of cupboard space in the high top. For photographs go to the "6.1 Ocean 2 Day Hire - Disappointed" thread. Or look on the Autohaus website gallery - look for the Apapulco blue high top in cream and blue leather.
As said, if in reach of Gloucestershire and wish to have a look I can arrange to meet up.
that looks stunning! Thanks again. a porta potti wouls only come out at night, but can appreciate the convenience and aesthetics of a concealed loo.

I too thought that the interior would be too grey, but it is actually very restful and gives a feeling of space and it doesn’t distract from the view.

Hi

Cali Cali Cali all day long, its built as a campervan in the factory, the whole thing is warranted by the same manufacturer they feel light airy and luxurious inside and have great residuals.

I had a camper conversion built and it was very good but it wasn't and never would be a Cali.They tend to feel quite dark inside and I could never get away from the feeling I was sitting in a van conversion but with Our Cali it felt like a different world.

Thanks sunnyweather and Karlos.

After a lot more reading got my eye on a 2015 SE 180 (know about the oil and EGR issues) and also considering 2018/19 models with the benefit of the warranty....

I’ve then specced a Cali with the options of:
  • Blue paint
  • Dynamic chassis control – help on motorways etc – really worth it?
  • The 80L tank – is it really needed?
  • Heated front windscreen – as want to use throughout the year
  • Bed extension – I’m 6 foot so assume id benefit.

Options are usually personal choices as whats important differs person to person but from your list I have specced the 80L tank because it wasn't an expersive option and from what I have read the night heater runs also off the main tank.
I gave the heated front screen a miss because of said night heater.
Bed extension does not mean its longer, just that you get an extra sleep mat on top.

Another thing that was important to us is the (quite unpopular) power slide door due to health reasons

Good luck with whatever you choose

Options are usually personal choices as whats important differs person to person but from your list I have specced the 80L tank because it wasn't an expersive option and from what I have read the night heater runs also off the main tank.
I gave the heated front screen a miss because of said night heater.
Bed extension does not mean its longer, just that you get an extra sleep mat on top.

Another thing that was important to us is the (quite unpopular) power slide door due to health reasons

Good luck with whatever you choose
Thanks for the advice.

Bed extension sounds like a great idea for comfort and get the point of no need for the heated windscreen...

Thanks for the advice.

Bed extension sounds like a great idea for comfort

If only it were true! Many owners find the "comfort" mattress not to live up to it's name. If I were to spec a new one I would not bother with it. Although my experience is only with the T5 and T6, so maybe it's improved on a T6.1.

If only it were true! Many owners find the "comfort" mattress not to live up to it's name. If I were to spec a new one I would not bother with it. Although my experience is only with the T5 and T6, so maybe it's improved on a T6.1.
Yikes!

In this current time finding a demo 6.1 with the option is slim, and testing the bed another matter....

Are there any after market alternatives people can recommend? Admittedly I have not researched yet as was unaware...

Back