Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Thule roof rack Foot Pack height? 751 or 753?

@DM I'm also tempted by the longer option - if anyone tries 150cm bars can they report back here? I have 127cm bars that I use on my 5series and I'm already thinking 135cm/150cm would be easier to fit stuff to the Cali with.
The Thule configurator indicates 135 - so they should be fine. But I don't know if the 150 will fit - are the slots long enough for the track width? No one seems to have tried it yet :(

For us 150cm would be too wide as they can start to 'grab' branches and bushes when on small tracks or leafy roads. Ours is 4Motion and we do get to squeeze into places you probably wouldn't if you had a brand new Cali. It really depends on where you drive and if you really need the extra space. I can't imagine ever needing it.

Official Thule response on my question whether 753 foot pack is an option:
'I can confirm the 751 and 3057 are recommended and are specifically tested and approved for the 2011 California. We would not recommend attempting to use the 753 as the feet differ in design and the 753 has not been added to the Thule Buyer's Guide as an approved product for this vehicle.'

Does anyone know how the feet differ (apart from the height!)?

I fitted the 751 to my T6 and have since changed to the 753 as they look a lot neater, the difference is in the way they both clamp onto the roof bar the 751 has a separate clamping bolt whereas the 753 clamps when tightening the footplate to the bar support.

Hi all,

We're contemplating taking a 2 man sit on top kayak on a 3 week jaunt to west scotland. It weighs 28Kg and the rack is aero wing on 753. I'm a bit worried about the roof being up with the weight - has anyone got experience with raising the roof with a kayak on? I've tried it and it seems ok, but.... we don't want to take it if we'll need to take it off the roof most nights!

Thanks
Tigs

Hi Tigs, I have placed 2 kayaks on my roof on a T5 Cali several times in the last few month without issue, it was a loan vehicle so the ideal candidate but I has since done the same with my T6 and again had no problems.

Tigs - I carry a surfski and roofbox on mine total weight probably 45kg - on Thule wingbars with 753 feet - no issues so far !

@NZCol - can you put the roof up with the surf ski and roof box still on the rack? I use carbon-kevlar surf kayaks so similar weight and I'm hoping to leave them both on the rack when sleeping at night.

Can anyone tell me what the clearance between the roof bars and the roof is when using the 753 feet? One of my kayaks is curved (has a lot of rocker) so I need a bit of clearance in the middle as I don't use a kayak carrier as they don't fit the shape of a surf kayak. I prefer the look of the 753 feet but don't want to have issues with the kayak pressing against the roof.

Thanks,

Jez

@Detritus - I have Thule wingbars and 753 feet on my Cali T6. The minimum distance between the roof and the upper side of the roofbar is 10,5 cm. Plenty of space in my opinion.

@Detritus yep the whole caboodle goes up no worries, for those of you worried I have weight the whole lot and it's 47kg with the racks, boat, roofbox and kit. So just under. I do bow and stern tie the ski when travelling in case it's windy.

Awesome! Thanks very much @NZCol and @Akvist - very good to know! That should be plenty of clearance to allow for the rocker and knowing I don't need to take the boats off to go to sleep is very reassuring after a hard day's surfing

I fitted the 751 to my T6 and have since changed to the 753 as they look a lot neater, the difference is in the way they both clamp onto the roof bar the 751 has a separate clamping bolt whereas the 753 clamps when tightening the footplate to the bar support.
Thanks guys - I've ordered the 751 and 753 so I'll send back the one I don't like.. I've seen on Thule website there is now a lowered 7531 - has anyone tried that one?

https://www.thule.com/en/gb/roof-rack/accessories/thule-rapid-system-7531-_-753100

Last edited:
I want to order a Thule roof bar kit using 753 feet. Unfortunately everything online (where you put in vehicle type etc) points you towards the 751 feet. So, if I order the separate parts which fitting kit do I order for a 2013 cali? It seems like 2016 calis might use different fitting kits. To make things more complicated, the fitting kit I think I need (3057) looks quite different on the Thule site than on Halfords.

Any advice much appreciated.

I want to order a Thule roof bar kit using 753 feet. Unfortunately everything online (where you put in vehicle type etc) points you towards the 751 feet. So, if I order the separate parts which fitting kit do I order for a 2013 cali? It seems like 2016 calis might use different fitting kits. To make things more complicated, the fitting kit I think I need (3057) looks quite different on the Thule site than on Halfords.

Any advice much appreciated.

I have a T6 Ocean 2016 with Thule Wingbars, 753 feet and 3057 fitting kit. Works very well. Same kit should work for 2013 according to the Swedish Thule site.

I have a T6 Ocean 2016 with Thule Wingbars, 753 feet and 3057 fitting kit. Works very well. Same kit should work for 2013 according to the Swedish Thule site.

Same for me and works well on my T6 Ocean. :thumb

In the end I bought both foot packs to try. The 753 is higher than the roof bars were on any of my previous vehicles do I've gone with them and sent the 751 pack back - it was ridiculously high!
753 fits perfectly on my 2016 T6 Beach - I went for the black wing bars to match my black Cali and it looks pretty good

We went for 753 and 127 cm wing bar. Looks good and very happy with them.
Weirdly, I'm pretty sure that it has improved the economy (when not loaded). Not sure I can explain it but we're getting an extra couple of MPG over the last 2,000 miles. I don't think the driving style has changed. Very odd!

Hi - i am trying to order a Thule roof rack kit for my T6 Beach - from the info helpfully provided on the forum i want the lower profile feet - 753 model and the 3057 fitting kit. It seems there are two different length options for the aerobars at 108cm and 120cm. I would like the neatest solution can anyone tell me if the 108cm bar will fit OK. Thanks

I have now also fitted the 753 feet with 127cm wingbars. I must have overtighten them because I cant lock the locks. I will try tomorrow.
Cali fate, I think I have about 5cm of roofbar outside of the feet so I would say the absolut minimum lenght can be 117cm.

I have now also fitted the 753 feet with 127cm wingbars. I must have overtighten them because I cant lock the locks. I will try tomorrow.
Cali fate, I think I have about 5cm of roofbar outside of the feet so I would say the absolut minimum lenght can be 117cm.

Kave - did you fix the problem you had trying to lock your 753 feet? I've just fitted the same combination as yours but I cannot lock two of the locks because they are too tight. The two feet that I did lock were also very tight, but I just managed to turn the key sufficiently.

Yes, you need to loosen the bolts that clamps it down to the roof. If tightened too much the rubber feet will be squished preventing locking.

I know most people prefer the lower foot and my instinct would be to have that one. However I purchased a used set of slide bars that already had the taller foot. I've found that with these feet I can still open the tailgate with a sea kayak on the roof. With the lower feet I wouldn't be able to. I have the rest tailgate spoiler which is what makes the difference here. Without the spoiler the lower feet would probabaly be fine.

We have the taller ones for exactly the same reason, essential for kayaks, however the lower ones are possibly ok for surfboards.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Back