Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali wins again!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
I see the California was awarded best camper van at NEC show:
"winner of the best Campervan over £45,000 category at the Caravan and Motorhome Club Motorhome Design Awards 2019. Nine expert judges put 99 vehicles through their paces to decide the winners."
no surprise there then to us!!!!

It's probably the best campervan over £70k too! ;)

its the Caravan & Motorhome Club awards thingy....the website only carries 2018 at the mo, last year Rolling Homes was winner...so can't comment yet on the others tested ....or what they were....

Visiting the NEC show I noticed that some vw camper conversions are offering better quality and styling of the interior fitments.

Some are moving closer to the vw build quality.

But there are still companies offering the 'MFI flat pack kits' - I just do not understand why anyone would buy these.

Visiting the NEC show I noticed that some vw camper conversions are offering better quality and styling of the interior fitments.

Some are moving closer to the vw build quality.

But there are still companies offering the 'MFI flat pack kits' - I just do not understand why anyone would buy these.
Price. And make it affordable to people, my first campervan was "an MFI flat pack kit" and it did the job, nothing wrong with it at all, not everyone can go into debt for a £60k vehicle

It's so nice to see the judges agreeing with me at last.

If you want a camper van there is simply nothing, except possibly the MP, to compete with the all-round package offered by the Cali.

I was very disappointed with first impressions of the Grand California.

Nothing special. In fact, if I were to go for bigger van it would be the Adria Supreme.

As above, I also think it polarised my view on the "standard" California being the best choice.

I see the California was awarded best camper van at NEC show:
"winner of the best Campervan over £45,000 category at the Caravan and Motorhome Club Motorhome Design Awards 2019. Nine expert judges put 99 vehicles through their paces to decide the winners."
no surprise there then to us!!!!
That was the first time VWCV were at the show. I asked why they hadn’t been there before and the answer was they didn’t need to be. Having said that, the rep I spoke to was surprised how big the show was.

Alan

That was the first time VWCV were at the show. I asked why they hadn’t been there before and the answer was they didn’t need to be. Having said that, the rep I spoke to was surprised how big the show was.

Alan
I went hoping for some VW accessories, but the VW stand was so bland, the lady showing a van was unable to move the back seat forward on the SWB Cali. She was unaware it was better to sit on it to move it. The little crowd around the side door soon explained how to use the rear sear.
I didn't hang around on that stand much at all. Was sad about that.

Am I allowed to say on this forum that the Dirty Weekender was very attractive to me.

I really liked the Dirty Weekender van too.
947dd2b040cb029ce18af45a7b57e23f.jpg
cf071dde50265a22be089944562ddee0.jpg
4c997821c60e82e0ae55c9db40d96386.jpg

There were some really nice conversions but I think the thing that most of them are missing is the sliding bench seat.

Enjoyed looking around the Grand California, too big for me though. Also, I think the front looks quite odd. It reminds me of something, can't quite put my finger on it!
0abb5327aebf0f374abff11185837fdb.jpg
f94e2fffa3c04f81b87823a8cfbc9464.jpg

Last edited:
My wife and I also went to the show. After hiring a Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, we had plans to buy a 1-2 Year one. Decided needed Auto DSG, LED Headlights, Sat Nav, Reversing Camera and Tow Hitch as minimum spec with anything else being a bonus. Have to say now we’ve seen some of the lovely conversions especially Dirty Weekender and Three Bridge, the Cali is so bland and cannot get excited about buying one. Added to options for LWB to get bicycles inside the van and extra living space. The LWB is only 400mm longer than SWB, whereas if you add a rack to SWB, the vehicle ends up much longer. So love the DW conversion in particular. Thoughts on why we should keep to a Cali appreciated

Buy what you like. It is your choice and you should make it based on your own requirements. The fact that the California is factory built on the best base unit not supplied to convertors does influence residuals.
As for bland , practicality is the Germanic way and compare some flash 10 year old conversions with a California. Seriously buy what you prefer it is your decision that matters.

Last edited:
My wife and I also went to the show. After hiring a Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, we had plans to buy a 1-2 Year one. Decided needed Auto DSG, LED Headlights, Sat Nav, Reversing Camera and Tow Hitch as minimum spec with anything else being a bonus. Have to say now we’ve seen some of the lovely conversions especially Dirty Weekender and Three Bridge, the Cali is so bland and cannot get excited about buying one. Added to options for LWB to get bicycles inside the van and extra living space. The LWB is only 400mm longer than SWB, whereas if you add a rack to SWB, the vehicle ends up much longer. So love the DW conversion in particular. Thoughts on why we should keep to a Cali appreciated
Best of luck getting any van with triple zone air con or the other standard Ocean kit or even the extras you were hoping for on a 1-2 year old Dirty Weekender for less than you would pay for a Cali. Warranty conflicts can be difficult to solve with two companies denying responsibility, no chance of a 5 year warranty on anything other than a Cali, the list goes on. If you are attracted to a long wheel base/non-bland van then a cali is not for you and the world is your oyster.

Hi
Like many Cali owners we started with our own T5 (LWB) conversion and loved it. It was our design, personalised with our add-ons and a fantastic 5 pot 2.5tdi engine. Lots of space and a sliding seat system that was handy. It served us well for 6 years before selling it on still in great condition. Why? We always wanted a Cali and it has not disappointed. You can not compare the ‘factory fitted’ to a ‘converted’ van. Everything in the Cali is so well thought out and when we compared prices of what options we wanted in our new van the Cali won hands down.
But it was all part of the camper journey and I can see why people go for both options. We feel as if we’re starting an adventure every time we get in it.

Best of luck getting any van with triple zone air con or the other standard Ocean kit or even the extras you were hoping for on a 1-2 year old Dirty Weekender for less than you would pay for a Cali. Warranty conflicts can be difficult to solve with two companies denying responsibility, no chance of a 5 year warranty on anything other than a Cali, the list goes on. If you are attracted to a long wheel base/non-bland van then a cali is not for you and the world is your oyster.

Thanks for your reply. It’s always good to get opinion from someone who is already a tried and tested owner.

I don’t think the triple zone AC will matter to us as no one will be traveling in the back, and we will always sleep in the roof in hot weather. It’s been a year long journey for us looking at our options. As explained previously, we tried and tested the Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, and loved the campervan freedom and lifestyle. Setting up and then exploring on eBikes and by foot was a great experience. We nearly bought 2 Calis from this site. Then looked at custom builders such as Dirty Weekender, but just to get a van for this season, we have now put our money down on a Westfalia Kepler 6.

We really like the flexibility and layout on this campervan, in particular the two separate rear seats. As you can move them independently, this is ideal for getting push bikes on board. We like the standard features such as reversing camera, hot & cold water (don’t think this is an option on Cali), shower, leather seats, led internal lights, probably best upper bed system (have not tried sleeping downstairs in Cali, LWB for more space and additional storage cupboard, and getting bikes inside rather than on a rack. Our bikes cost over £6,500 added to which the SWB fitted with a rack is actually longer than LWB without a rack. As we will always carry the bikes, this is a key consideration. I believe that Ferry companies also charge extra if you have an external bike rack. Another small consideration is that the luxury vehicle tax does not apply as the value of donor Transporter is used by DVLA.
This year will be the big test for us as we use it. I really do understand why so many love the California, but at the end of the day, if we find we have made a mistake, we can sell our Westy (which are still pretty rare and so values are good) and by a California later.
It is great that we all have so much choice, and this is a great forum for everything VW Campervan.

Thanks for your reply. It’s always good to get opinion from someone who is already a tried and tested owner.

I don’t think the triple zone AC will matter to us as no one will be traveling in the back, and we will always sleep in the roof in hot weather. It’s been a year long journey for us looking at our options. As explained previously, we tried and tested the Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, and loved the campervan freedom and lifestyle. Setting up and then exploring on eBikes and by foot was a great experience. We nearly bought 2 Calis from this site. Then looked at custom builders such as Dirty Weekender, but just to get a van for this season, we have now put our money down on a Westfalia Kepler 6.

We really like the flexibility and layout on this campervan, in particular the two separate rear seats. As you can move them independently, this is ideal for getting push bikes on board. We like the standard features such as reversing camera, hot & cold water (don’t think this is an option on Cali), shower, leather seats, led internal lights, probably best upper bed system (have not tried sleeping downstairs in Cali, LWB for more space and additional storage cupboard, and getting bikes inside rather than on a rack. Our bikes cost over £6,500 added to which the SWB fitted with a rack is actually longer than LWB without a rack. As we will always carry the bikes, this is a key consideration. I believe that Ferry companies also charge extra if you have an external bike rack. Another small consideration is that the luxury vehicle tax does not apply as the value of donor Transporter is used by DVLA.
This year will be the big test for us as we use it. I really do understand why so many love the California, but at the end of the day, if we find we have made a mistake, we can sell our Westy (which are still pretty rare and so values are good) and by a California later.
It is great that we all have so much choice, and this is a great forum for everything VW Campervan.
Never been charged extra for a bike rack. In fact I’ve just booked a ferry crossing, and wasn’t even asked.

Looks good, I owned several T4 California's when Westfalia were their conversion partner and they were excellent.

Never been charged extra for a bike rack. In fact I’ve just booked a ferry crossing, and wasn’t even asked.
That’s good news. I just remember the Ferry company asks if you have a bike rack fitted to a car, so thought there was a charge.

I was once sat in a pub in Eskdale (for their vw meet) when I spotted an attractive lady smiling at me from the bar. I went over to say hello. She explained she "was here with the dirty weekenders, but as her husband couldn't attend she was staying in the pub".
Now, I have been known to miss a flirt, but this seemed a bit 'full on'.
It was only after another drink that I understood that 'dirty weekenders' was a van converter, so popular with their customers that they go to festivals together, even if it means the odd one staying in a local pub.

Looks good, I owned several T4 California's when Westfalia were their conversion partner and they were excellent.

Thanks, it’s good to know that Westfalia manufactured the California in the first instance from 1988 until 2001, when VW realised there was an opportunity to build it themselves.

I think the finish is really good I.e. no carpeted walls etc and cabinets that look like they are made specially for the van, rather than something that’s made to fit.

I was once sat in a pub in Eskdale (for their vw meet) when I spotted an attractive lady smiling at me from the bar. I went over to say hello. She explained she "was here with the dirty weekenders, but as her husband couldn't attend she was staying in the pub".
Now, I have been known to miss a flirt, but this seemed a bit 'full on'.
It was only after another drink that I understood that 'dirty weekenders' was a van converter, so popular with their customers that they go to festivals together, even if it means the odd one staying in a local pub.
It is a very visual name that conjures up interesting thoughts, that’s for sure! Certainly stands out from the crowd.

Thanks, it’s good to know that Westfalia manufactured the California in the first instance from 1988 until 2001, when VW realised there was an opportunity to build it themselves.

I think the finish is really good I.e. no carpeted walls etc and cabinets that look like they are made specially for the van, rather than something that’s made to fit.
Errm, Westfalia were doing their camper van stuff on Vdubs 40 odd
years ago, I´ve never seen a carpeted wall in any of them.

Westfalia did a brexit leaving us with what we have now.
Something that is okay but not the real deal.

Back