Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calicave from Calicap.de

View attachment 37971 View attachment 37972 Just bought one of the Calicaves from calicap.de.

Seems a nicely made bit of kit other that a total lack of instructions on how to fit it.

Accept its hardly rocket science but a few pointers would have been helpful. Did a dry run today to see how it all went up and looks pretty good. You end up with the full footprint of the awning as a cosy room and it all fits into the space in the chairs in the tailgate, so very compact.

Pics attached below.

I do have a question... does anyone know what these black hoops are for?
Just an idea but could they be to hang something from? Perhaps the small end goes through a hanging loop somewhere and the larger end could attach to a light/coat etc?

Unfortunately, having linked our prepaid Master Card to my wifes Paypal account it's now all gone tits up. :(

Hi Borris
Sorry to hear that what has happened, is the card showing on the PayPal account.
Hello you two,

I've just re-read my last post and suddenly realised that the way I've worded it might have left you thinking that I'm unhappy with your advise and that perhaps I'm blaming you for what's happened since as a result of following it. Definitely not so. It was good advice and should have worked well. The fact that it didn't was purely coincidental!

So once again many thanks.

Just an idea but could they be to hang something from? Perhaps the small end goes through a hanging loop somewhere and the larger end could attach to a light/coat etc?
We had that thought as we have similar things on a Vango drive away awning for that purpose but could not find any relevant loops inside.

The mistery remains !

Hello you two,

I've just re-read my last post and suddenly realised that the way I've worded it might have left you thinking that I'm unhappy with your advise and that perhaps I'm blaming you for what's happened since as a result of following it. Definitely not so. It was good advice and should have worked well. The fact that it didn't was purely coincidental!

So once again many thanks.

Thank you for that Borris. I hate it when things go wrong especially when you suggest a way around things and then it doesn't work. I too have been having issues trying to buy things from Germany until I got this advice from this forum, and that it did actually work for me I must admit I was amazed when my payment went through so I thought you would be onto a winner. I'm hoping to buy a slide out draw from Calicap.de within the next few weeks myself fingers crossed.

Thank you for that Borris. I hate it when things go wrong especially when you suggest a way around things and then it doesn't work. I too have been having issues trying to buy things from Germany until I got this advice from this forum, and that it did actually work for me I must admit I was amazed when my payment went through so I thought you would be onto a winner. I'm hoping to buy a slide out draw from Calicap.de within the next few weeks myself fingers crossed.
Good luck with your slide out drawer purchase. As a matter of interest which length are you going for. After a lot of researching different makes and sizes as well as looking into making my own, I have decided to just get on and order one. Having taken everything into consideration I have chosen the 700 model. That version appears to give the optimum arrangement accross most uses.

Yesterdays order has now been cancelled. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I'm going to have another bash at ordering one today. I'm not feeling that confident though as on the few occasions that I've tried to order something expensive from Germany, it has always thrown up problems.

Are you going to the Dorset meet? If you are and I have successfully managed to get my mitts on one of these pull out drawer things by then, you are welcome to come and have a look. The kettle is always on.

Good luck with your slide out drawer purchase. As a matter of interest which length are you going for. After a lot of researching different makes and sizes as well as looking into making my own, I have decided to just get on and order one. Having taken everything into consideration I have chosen the 700 model. That version appears to give the optimum arrangement accross most uses.

Yesterdays order has now been cancelled. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I'm going to have another bash at ordering one today. I'm not feeling that confident though as on the few occasions that I've tried to order something expensive from Germany, it has always thrown up problems.

Are you going to the Dorset meet? If you are and I have successfully managed to get my mitts on one of these pull out drawer things by then, you are welcome to come and have a look. The kettle is always on.

That's the one we are going for the 700 model like you say it seems to give the best optimum arrangement for the beach.
Yes we are going to the Dorset meet and we will certainly pop round to yours to have a look if you've managed to get one and if not well we'll have a cup of tea instead, I will keep my fingers crossed for you the other thing is will your larger fridge still fit under the multi-Flex board when this has been fitted or do you keep your fridge in the living compartment all the time.

That's the one we are going for the 700 model like you say it seems to give the best optimum arrangement for the beach.
Yes we are going to the Dorset meet and we will certainly pop round to yours to have a look if you've managed to get one and if not well we'll have a cup of tea instead, I will keep my fingers crossed for you the other thing is will your larger fridge still fit under the multi-Flex board when this has been fitted or do you keep your fridge in the living compartment all the time.
Well the fridge should fit in the drawer but it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't as it normally goes in the rear compartment where we can access the contents.

my concern wouldn't be paying for it. contacting them if i had a problem would be my worry
I bought a full set of seat covers on line from Germany and they were excellent! But when they arrived the cover for the rear seat did not fit, after contacting them with photos and details of where it did not fit they immediately agreed to get a new(modified) one made. Took a couple of weeks to make of course but their communication WAS EXCELLENT. Can't guarantee this will be as easy when we leave the EU as it is most likely we will loose all that legal protection we now enjoy.

I bought a full set of seat covers on line from Germany and they were excellent! But when they arrived the cover for the rear seat did not fit, after contacting them with photos and details of where it did not fit they immediately agreed to get a new(modified) one made. Took a couple of weeks to make of course but their communication WAS EXCELLENT. Can't guarantee this will be as easy when we leave the EU as it is most likely we will loose all that legal protection we now enjoy.

Best buy your stuff from EU now as it could become difficult/more expensive after brexit

Best buy your stuff from EU now as it could become difficult/more expensive after boris bike
Not if they want to sell to us in the future. A bit like cutting off their nose to spit their face.

I doubt if you'll notice much if any difference. If you want to order something from somewhere in Europe they are going to want to ship it to you. There may be a fluctuation in currency exchange rates but twas forever thus.

I doubt if you'll notice much if any difference. If you want to order something from somewhere in Europe they are going to want to ship it to you. There may be a fluctuation in currency exchange rates but twas forever thus.
I'm sure HMRC will find a way to charge import duty and VAT, and the courier company will charge to collect that on HMRCs behalf.

I'm sure HMRC will find a way to charge import duty and VAT, and the courier company will charge to collect that on HMRCs behalf.
Just like they do when you order from China sometimes, well I never.

We where looking at maybe getting the calicave. I have a couple of questions you might know the answers to. I see the awning supports go out at an angle to take account of the side panels, does this effect the strength of the Awning in windy conditions with the the tie downs ? How is it bad weather, bit concerned it might be a bit fragile with the supports at that angle. And how do you find it generally and issues you have found. Thank you so much for any help on this

The black awning tie downs are not part of the Calicave, they are a separate item, ours are Thule, other makes available, and in my experience a must whenever you use the awning in rainy or windy conditions, Calicave or not. The gentle angle of the awning legs doesn't seem to make any difference to rigidity or strength of the setup, which is very secure, but I guess I have only ever angled them enough to clear the Calicave. When its wet we make one leg a bit shorter than the other, which puts the front of the Calicave at a bit of a jaunty angle but encourages run off from the awning and lessens the chance of pooling. We also use an internal '3rd' bar in the middle of the ceiling of the awning which again helps to reduce the chance of pooling. All in all we are really happy with the setup, used it in all weathers and it also works well just with one or two panels as sun shades when you don't need the entire thing up. Another real positive is it all packs away nicely into the rear tailgate with the chairs so doesn't take up valuable space in the van when not in use.

Thanks so much for the info, so good for UK weather, how long is the set up and pick time time for it

Found this video on set up

Thanks so much for the info, so good for UK weather, how long is the set up and pick time time for it
Yes, works well for.UK and elsewhere. 20 mins up/down. An awning carpet is a worthwhile addition to the set. Amazon have a decent choice.

Thank, do you know what the footprint is so I can get the right awning, worth getting a side skirt as well ?

3M x 2.5M. - we use the carpet whenever we use the awning, with or without the Calicave.
We have the Fiamma side skirt.. It does reduce drafts from under the van and makes things a bit cosier, especially if you have the carpet and put the carpet ontop of the skirt flap that is on the ground., I’d advise more and stronger magnets to get it to work well.

Thanks Gorden for the size. Just looking on amazon they are all the fabric ones, I seem to remember they go all moulding when wet, I remember when I was in France a Dutch family had a more rubbery one, would you know where to find that kind, sorry changing subjects form the calicave

They are polypropylene or some type of similar plastic in a fabric type weave. We’ve never suffered with mould or the like. Here is the link to the one we use, seems not available but similar ones are. OLTEX Breathable Caravan Awning Carpet / Groundsheet - Blue/ Grey - 2.5m x 3.0m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JLIUHIM/?tag=eliteelect-21

You said it was 2- it’s up and down .. is that a 10 min set up, having trouble seeing why it would take 20 mins to set up ?