Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calicave from Calicap.de

Sorry 20mins up and down

Sorry got another question. Down does the tent seal at the side of the van or is there a gap between the van and the end of the awning strut ?

Approximately ... never really timed it, perhaps as quick as 10 minutes once you become adept at it and the ground doesn't fight back when you drive the pegs in, or the wind doesn't frustrate your efforts ... and certainly 2 is better than 1 ... the main point is it's a simple setup, and I guess 20 minutes would be leisurely....and may involve gin ... but thats Cali camping :)

Its does a reasonable job of keeping the weather out where it folds onto the van, but I would not want to call it a 'seal'. There is also a gap between the left & right sides and the roof, see picture. The side panels zip over the awning arms so contact with the awning roof is incidental.

In winter its a great space as a drying area , keeping stuff in, getting changed etc but not really somewhere you would choose to sit out in. Different in the warmer months. Screenshot 2020-07-04 at 14.35.22.png

Thanks that’s really helpful, asked a question on the forum about the awning in wind, getting advice back not to use it over 15mph even with tie downs, this is not very much especially with gusts taken into account. How have you found it in wind and when do you think it’s not usable. Sorry about all these questions, just it’s and expensive item, so any advice is amazing. Don’t want to get it and find I can use it in bad weather

Never had a problem with the awning in any weather other than when we didn’t put the straps on it. Very heavy rain caused a catastrophic sag which looked like it had done for the awning but after a 2am panicky wind in of the awning and inspection next day all was well. Always fit the storm straps now, never had a problem since. Never heard the 15mph claim. That’s just a breath of air. It’s 11mph today where we are according to the Apple weather app and the trees are barely moving. Can’t claim to know the exact figures but we’ve had the awning and the calicave up in all weathers. I’m sure it has it’s limits. and I imagine you will get used to what you are comfortable with, We’ve only had ours a couple of years but I have never been concerned about it’s performance in poor weather.

I think it will be stable in the wind, just counted 17 pegs on the ground sheet, that should keep it steady. Thanks so much you have been so helpful.

No issues with buying or delivery. Used Paypal. Bought the pull out drawer from them as well, nice bit of kit!

The drawer was EUR 653 inc UK delivery, the CaliCave with all the Triutlils & windows in front and side was EUR997 inc delivery, not cheap but both very well made.

BTW - a tip on using web sites that need translation - use the Google Chrome browser which has an iPhone/iPad version as well as PC. Go to the site as normal, it will notice the page is in German (or French or whatever) and ask if you want it translated, tell it to always translate to English. Then whenever you visit a web page with Chrome it just automatically tranlates all the pages so you can browse as normal.

Still dont know what the little S shape clip was for!
Can I ask what is a Triutil? Google translate is no help!

It’s the tapered triangle that fits between the sides and the front sheet. It’s optional. Gives more floorspace as it allows the sides and front to taper outwards.

I was looking into it myself last year. For a nice set up with triutil and windows it was about a grand euro. It seems an insane amount of money for 3 sheets of tent fabric basically, and a similar size full tent with poles etc would be half the cost.
So I ordered 8 meters of high quality waterproof tent fabric in the size of 220cm for 110€.
Then i bought a nice new pfaff sewing machine for 400€, and a few rings and a kador strip.
Now i have pretty much the same, for half the money but still have the sewing machine.....

Btw never used a sewing machine before. But fou the tent it' s just straight lines.20190726_212941.jpg

20200703_181700.jpg

20200703_180812.jpg

20200703_190217.jpg