Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California beach portable kitchen

D

Dombo

hi,

I will receive soon my California beach. I am looking to buy a portable system to allow me cooking once at a camping and was thinking of buying a Campingaz 600SG (http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/cam ... stand.html).

Has anyone tested it a campingaz one?

I am looking at something relatively simple and easy to put in/out of the van but enough to cook pasta and a sauce on a fairly stable environment. If you have any suggestion i am a taker.

so far the Campingaz is the only one that i found interesting.

Looking forward to receiving your suggestion.
thanks a lot,
Dom

Dom,

I think the general consensus among Beach owners is that we don't cook in the Cali. If camping in the warm cook outside and if weather is inclement find a pub or restaurant :D .

I think that unit would be okay outside, but I wouldn't want to use it in the Cali as it looks a bit big and where would you put it to cook? If you want to make a brew, one of the small single gas stoves could sit on the table which would be much more stable.

I think if you want to cook in the Cali a proper pod would be the best option as it is more stable and designed for it.

Andy

thanks guys, but i think that i did badly express myself. I am not planing to cook in my beach as that was exactly my view: you don't cook in a beach. I am looking for a solution to have a "kitchen" ability when i am going for camping occasionally and if i need to cook something outside. Thus I am looking for something very portable to cook outside, not inside.

thanks,
Dom

This isn't the cheap option, but...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Dombo said:
hi,

I will receive soon my California beach. I am looking to buy a portable system to allow me cooking once at a camping and was thinking of buying a Campingaz 600SG (http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/cam ... stand.html).

Has anyone tested it a campingaz one?

I am looking at something relatively simple and easy to put in/out of the van but enough to cook pasta and a sauce on a fairly stable environment. If you have any suggestion i am a taker.

so far the Campingaz is the only one that i found interesting.

Looking forward to receiving your suggestion.
thanks a lot,
Dom

That actually looks great and would suit our needs perfect. I can't find any reviews on it thou. If you end up buying one let me know what it's like

Second that - the Cadac Safari Chef is absolutely brilliant - good with the Cali SE too so you can cook smelly stuff outside! Also can use the Cali's Campingaz 907 cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I third that. We have both the high and low pressure versions of the Cadac and it is superb, inexpensive and compact.
The high pressure version cartridges last a couple of weekends easily and although they are expensive are really convenient and it means not carting another gas bottle around. I also use the cadac as the backup should we run out of gas in the Cali. I can still boil a kettle etc (although outside).

thanks guys,

I saw the other day the Campingaz stoves (http://www.campingaz.com/uk/c-658-xcelerate-stoves.aspx) in a Go OutDoor shop. The 600SG looks great as it can be on a standalone basis and have space to prepare food on the side. But on the other hand I did test to open it completely and close it again it takes a good 5min. The 400SG, despite not having the feet, looks much easier if you are getting a table to put it on. The 400SG looks very easy and strong - in a good material that can last.
The sales man put some doubt in my eyes when advising me to go for the much easier version (http://www.campingaz.com/uk/c-546-camp-bistro.aspx) and buy 2 of them. If you need to cook a coffee you take one, pasta and salsa you take the 2. You don't need a big gas bottle as you are buying replaceable cartridge that are fairly cheap. The only question that i don't have an answer is how long does last the cartridge and if you need 10 of them for a week or if this is fairly reasonable.

Unfortunately i have time to think of all of this as my imported California (was needing a right hand drive), ordered early Jan is still not in sight. I am starting to be nervous and arguing with the importer... :-(

Dombo said:
thanks guys, but i think that i did badly express myself. I am not planing to cook in my beach as that was exactly my view: you don't cook in a beach. I am looking for a solution to have a "kitchen" ability when i am going for camping occasionally and if i need to cook something outside. Thus I am looking for something very portable to cook outside, not inside.

thanks,
we use the cadac safari chef it does the lot,eggs bacon ,barbi everything boil a kettle, make a curry

Back