Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach - underseat electrical changes and charger questions

K

Kiruth

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,
recently my van (T6 Beach 2019) got under water due to the floods in northern Italy: fortunately it missed the engine and the majority of fuseboxes and electrical (the water got to the base of the seats) and I'm getting it back next week after extensive cleanups (removing all the low panels/rails and let them dry fully, replacing airbag control unit, cleaning the heater out, etc...it was a mess down there).

The under seat electric is "standard", with the default leisure battery and relay/fuse to connect the starter battery to the under seat one. The previous owner added a solar panel/MPPT (Victron smart) located in the rear near the car jack and an NDS charger under the seat (loosly attached to the battery front side).

I'm planning to replace the NDS charger under the seat since it got under water and was full of mud, also to keep the system Lifepo4 compatible for the future (yes, I know that I need to replace the relay with a dc-dc converter to safely support a Lifepo4 battery). Also try to reuse the AGM battery for now since it seems fine (removed and topped up soon after the fact).

I'm planning to use a Victron Phoenix Smart under the seat and route the 230v cable to the engine bay in a second time (connect the 230v under seat like it was done with the NDS). Since the 1+1 model can connect to both the leisure battery (30A) and trickle charge the starter battery (1A max) is it OK if I connect the trickle charge positive lead from the charger to the relay under the seat (starter battery side) to prevent pulling a new cable all way to the starter battery? In this configuration is it advisable to use a pull-up/down configuration to disable the charger in case that the ignition is on (so, with the relay open and the 2 battery connected to the alternator) or is it overkill/useless?

Since I'm changing the layout under the seat I'm also planning to add a Victron Smart Shunt on the negative side. Any other advice and/or change that you think I should evaluate before start messing the electric under the seat?