Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach?

D

dsou

Hi

Have been considering if the above might be a good deal? Perhaps more practical as an every day car, 5 or 7 seats, larger bed, cheaper.

Lots of draw backs though - no heater, double glazing, plug sockets etc

I guess it depends on how frequently you camp- I think we would be more occassional with our boys and also use it as a mobile office and so it may be a good solution for us

Am mulling and so any thoughts appreciated

d

Hi
Only you will know if it's right for your lifestyle. You would have to weigh up the pro's and cons
Best go and look at both that may help you decide which one is best suited. I would go for the Cali myself because 4 seats are enough and I camp. :thumb

Hi there. I have gone through a simlar process. Originally I was looking at a Caravelle until the Beach was released in Britain.
This will be the main family car for us, and we need 5 seats to take the 3 of us, and my in-laws if we go out somewhere - this would be a non-starter for us with the full Cali.

Also, with me being built for carrying stuff and not for speed, the idea of the narrower downstairs bed in the Cali didn't appeal quite as much.

Finally, for us, we see ourselves cooking outside of the van, rather than inside and any washing up done at a sinks facility or just sluiced, wet wiped and rinsed - so need need for the water tank systems.

In the basic form the Beach doesn't flick all of our switches, so I am considering ram-raiding the accessories list - which I know will push the cost up. I dare say I will get within viewing distance of a full Cali purchase price at the end - but it will do what we need it to do and take out a couple of the compromises that we would have to make if we went for a full Cali.

Luke

The beach was launched just as I was making my final decision, Cali, Beach or Custom Van.

Custom was ruled out when I saw the Build quality of the Cali.

Beach was ruled out due to the high VED so annual costs are higher, and lower power engine.
I have been impressed by the annual VED so far, and also amazed at the cost of insurance, its been so low for the Cali.

So far not disappointed at all 2 weeks in. We have 5 seats for 5 in the family. Was really tempted to go for the beach due to the seating and the fact that 80% of the time we will use it as a day van.

This is really helpful, thank you

On the higher cost of VED/Insurance on the Beach can you give me an idea of relative cost plse. This is a really good point

thanks

d

dsou said:
This is really helpful, thank you

On the higher cost of VED/Insurance on the Beach can you give me an idea of relative cost plse. This is a really good point

thanks

d

I think that all models of the full Cali are £215 p.a. Whereas the 140PS Beach is £580 on first registration for the first year and then £260 p.a. Due to it's 203 g of CO2 per KM and it being classified as a car rather than a motorhome.

It's the first reg tax that stings.

Back