Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Phil66

Phil66

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
New member exploring possible purchase of California. Many years ago had touring caravan but now retired and looking for something easy to use. Trying to answer the usual questions - will it be big enough? Could we cope without onboard toilet? What are camp site facilities like now? Supply problems also an issues so also considering a conversion. Would be happy to go a good nearly new if I co7ld find one. Any thoughts or views on any of this would be welcome and appreciated.

Hello Phil
You can have a toilet of course - a Thetford flushing one ... or if you can persuade the females in your party that it’s for emergencies and middle of the night pees really because you’ll be on singing and dancing campsites mainly, these are great and take up much less space...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0797YCX15/?tag=eliteelect-21

:welcome Phil, might be worth renting one first to see if you can deal with the compromises of a camper van to say that of a small motorhome with bathroom.

Enjoy your search.

From reading other threads on here I’m not sure a conversion will be any quicker. Demand is high for those as well...

Hi Phil . We are just back from our first proper stay in our “new to us” Cali ocean. We had worries about space, toilet facilities and comfort of bed but can honestly say we had a fantastic 2 nights in the van learning how to use everything still but our main worries were all unfounded. Toilet and wash facilities were open and excellent on the campsite we didn’t need to use our newly purchased thetford portapotti ! We slept up top and v comfy once you get used to the system for getting up and down from the roof and lack of space we never even thought about -it was cosy but so cleverly designed. Just the 2 of us inside , we had friends visit and we sat under the awning and toasted the future adventures we hope to have in our van. Hope this helps you make the right decision, we previously hired 2 VW California’s before buying this year .

Thank you for your reply which is very reassuring. I guess many people have the same concerns at the outset. Glad to hear it all went well for you.

Made the decision and purchased nearly new California. Just working out what we need and discovering how it all works. Used for a few day trips but not yet over night. All very exciting!

Thetford porta potti 335 cube dressed by dunelm (£10.50)

The cushion part comes off and has a hard inside, turn over, put on drivers seat (spreads weight) to give a purge to get in to roof space without damaging heated elements in chair etc,

2EE5DADB-94CD-412D-AD9D-D593C7B11AE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Made the decision and purchased nearly new California. Just working out what we need and discovering how it all works. Used for a few day trips but not yet over night. All very exciting!
Good on ya Phil

let’s see some photos.
get out and use the van, you’ll be surprised at how little you require in reality. Pack light and live well

Thetford porta potti 335 cube dressed by dunelm (£10.50)

The cushion part comes off and has a hard inside, turn over, put on drivers seat (spreads weight) to give a purge to get in to roof space without damaging heated elements in chair etc,

View attachment 80630
Hi where did you get the potti enclosure from? I have mine under the sink but an external storage would be my option (not the mrs’)

Also worth looking at the Hymer camping cars for comparison. Slightly bigger than a Cali but an enclosed toilet + shower & sleep 4 adults in comfort.

Also worth looking at the Hymer camping cars for comparison. Slightly bigger than a Cali but an enclosed toilet + shower & sleep 4 adults in comfort.
The westfalia club joker is a very interesting van too, IMHO.