Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Exclusive Rear Seat Armrest

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi All,

I've just been stripping back the old seat covers which were holding onto smells from many moons ago (funky aint the word). I've just noticed the back seat is missing the armrest. Are these just the same as the front captain seat arm rests? I can imagine it won't be easy to get one in the cactus fabric but I can get one pretty easy in Inca which would do for now. Doe's anyone know if they are the same. I'm not sure why it was taken off. I can only imagine it gets in the way of getting in the back perhaps?

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Check out the old covers and the factory fit rugs on the deck. Funky in more ways that one!

60_312325582_xl by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Hey @ArcticMatt. Loving those rugs. Did your Exclusive come with a smokers jacket too?
I've been having a look here - http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob...ansp-gr-070-220-seat-backrest-head-restraint/ to see if there was any way of cross referencing the armrests. Old diagrams, great to spend hours examining but not entirely useful on this occasion. The Front armrests are only held in place by a large allen bolt if I remember rightly. You could probably do a quick swap to check if they are the same mounting. The link above does list the part numbers 703881082D FAK(grey/blue cactus) and 703881082E FBH (grey/brown cactus), it might be worth contacting your nearest dealership for a stock check. Sometimes these things are still available.

Most Exclusives I see have had that arm rest removed. That gap to the kitchen has been reduced to the absolute minimum to get the widest seat / bed possible (I think they used the standard Westy rear seat....which may explain why the gap is so narrow!).
So to save bruises, most armrests have been removed. I think just a neat grey 'plug' to remove the unfinished look is all that is required (IMHO).

Cheers chaps. I see what you mean. The gap is tight enough as it is. I've looked on google and most have the same hole as me but then I found a photo with it on. Must be a small persons van
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457540347.333056.jpg

Hey @ArcticMatt. Loving those rugs. Did your Exclusive come with a smokers jacket too?
I've been having a look here - http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob...ansp-gr-070-220-seat-backrest-head-restraint/ to see if there was any way of cross referencing the armrests. Old diagrams, great to spend hours examining but not entirely useful on this occasion. The Front armrests are only held in place by a large allen bolt if I remember rightly. You could probably do a quick swap to check if they are the same mounting. The link above does list the part numbers 703881082D FAK(grey/blue cactus) and 703881082E FBH (grey/brown cactus), it might be worth contacting your nearest dealership for a stock check. Sometimes these things are still available.
Haha aye came with the fully brandy glass set and matching cravats. I've taken off the armrests on my Syncro back in the UK a few times. I'd broken the cast mounts on both seats and you can get some support brackets off eBay made of proper metal. Hopefully I won't break these ones.

Cheers chaps. I see what you mean. The gap is tight enough as it is. I've looked on google and most have the same hole as me but then I found a photo with it on. Must be a small persons van
View attachment 12411
My folks have an Exclusive. Accessing the kitchen area certainly keeps you supple, dodging the armrest and not banging your head on the high cupboards. :confused: Mind you it would be really boring if you were just able to get on and use it without any of these character traits they all seem to have.

@mrcheesbrough Does it look like the Exclusive uses the same seat as your pop top (from the photo above)? I suspect it is, and given a free-hand and unlimited budgets, they would have made it a touch narrower.

My folks have an Exclusive. Accessing the kitchen area certainly keeps you supple, dodging the armrest and not banging your head on the high cupboards. :confused: Mind you it would be really boring if you were just able to get on and use it without any of these character traits they all seem to have.
Aye my thoughts exactly. I find it quite nice having to squeeze into the back but its quite a nice space back there.

@mrcheesbrough Does it look like the Exclusive uses the same seat as your pop top (from the photo above)? I suspect it is, and given a free-hand and unlimited budgets, they would have made it a touch narrower.
If it was any narrower, it would be a single bed :)

If it was any narrower, it would be a single bed :)
Oh I don't know. The City Joker bed is described as a double.....
single.jpg

And the gap past the seat looks equally tight!
tight.jpg

Haha give over! That's what you get in hotels when they say a Queen sized bed. Decent sized bed for a decent sized bloke. Tidy set up inside. I love those units. Is that the new T5 joker? I was looking at the merc sprinters with the big smurf roof and even a transit with one and they looked rather nice, even for a transit!

At first glance they look the same. I think there may be a slight difference somewhere as the seat belts on the Exclusive seat are built in more akin to the current California bed seat. But that may just be a minor modification that allowed them to do that.

Is that the new T5 joker?
A T6 one actually. On autotrader (search Westfalia) up in Scotland. Pop Top and the Hightops. Interesting to compare prices with the T6 Cali, but hard without knowing if discounts are available. The Westy's certainly are being built on lower spec vans (interior and generally engine wise).

Is that a change on the T6, I thought the T5 was described as a three birth?
You are on to something. It perhaps certainly should be described as 3, although the early Westfalia brochures described it as a 2 berth with "additional sleeping spaces optional".

Roseilse (Scottish Westy agent) are advertising them as 3 berth, and the photo from the Westy website now shows it made as a single bed (below)
singlebed.jpg
That's quite a disadvantage, particularly for the pop top model, where even as a couple, it's nice to have the option to sleep downstairs for 'stealth' or poor weather reasons.
I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already modified one to make a wider bed.

You are on to something. It perhaps certainly should be described as 3, although the early Westfalia brochures described it as a 2 berth with "additional sleeping spaces optional".

Roseilse (Scottish Westy agent) are advertising them as 3 berth, and the photo from the Westy website now shows it made as a single bed (below)
View attachment 12436
That's quite a disadvantage, particularly for the pop top model, where even as a couple, it's nice to have the option to sleep downstairs for 'stealth' or poor weather reasons.
I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already modified one to make a wider bed.

Yes its a shame, I assume they are targeting the retired couples who normally go for a coach built. It wouldn't be much use for a family. Not that I could afford it anyway..... Plus it would mean owning a T5 ;)