Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Gotcha's - New Beach Owners, Things to Be Aware Of!

My point wasn't about agreeing or otherwise. With the subtle differences between Beach and Oceans we often get advice based on the other model which may or may not be valid.

I was just asking if any other Beach owners had found the bungie useful.
You would have to be a fool to catch a manual roof - the 'scissors' are not the same threat as the electric version - they are towards the bottom of the roof structure and it would be very difficult to damage the bellows this way. If the bellows do 'blow out' there is nothing to cut it on. Plus the roof drops in two actions - so you have an opportunity to check around the roof before pulling it into the lock position. Def no need for a bungee in a Beach

You would have to be a fool to catch a manual roof - the 'scissors' are not the same threat as the electric version - they are towards the bottom of the roof structure and it would be very difficult to damage the bellows this way. If the bellows do 'blow out' there is nothing to cut it on. Plus the roof drops in two actions - so you have an opportunity to check around the roof before pulling it into the lock position. Def no need for a bungee in a Beach
Difficult but not impossible as I have discovered. I was very confident like you, but now I am the proud owner of 2 small tears in mine. Both have been repaired with Tear Aide and barely noticeable.

The first was due to the canvas getting caught in the hatch runner (not one I've heard of before).

The other was after fitting my isotop and not having a bellows bungee fitted, as I have never needed one. It popped out instead of in and I couldnt see it. I put a small rip in the reinforcement strip again repaired.

You would have to be a fool to catch a manual roof

Is that really necessary? Shortly after getting my Beach, I was watching the sides from the inside, and didn’t see that the front had blown out (I was by myself). Fortunately no damage to the roof, just a creased folding strip, but if the design included a bungee or other protection (like the Marco Polo), new owners could gain experience without damaging their roofs in the process. Why does that make you so angry?

Last edited by a moderator:
My view is that clearly the bellows and soft metal roof are vulnerable components and there are many variables that could result in damage- as per the numerous posts on here. Weather, tiredness etc could all factor in a silly and expensive mistake. The low cost of the bungie just seems to make so much sense. As in my previous post- anything that removes worry or anxiety and let’s me use and enjoy the vehicle in any weather is a bonus!!

My view is that clearly the bellows and soft metal roof are vulnerable components and there are many variables that could result in damage- as per the numerous posts on here. Weather, tiredness etc could all factor in a silly and expensive mistake. The low cost of the bungie just seems to make so much sense. As in my previous post- anything that removes worry or anxiety and let’s me use and enjoy the vehicle in any weather is a bonus!!
I would agree I lasted nearly 4 years without any damage but then had two instances in the space of a month. I wish I had installed my bellows bungee years ago but foolishly I gave it away as I didnt think I needed it.

I think the challenge with the Beach is to not crimp the bellows fabric with the catches that hold the roof down.

I think the challenge with the Beach is to not crimp the bellows fabric with the catches that hold the roof down.
I fold it quite carefully but I had micro holes around the clamp, I did reinforce those with tear aide too.

When I collected my Beach Guy at Preston gave me a sheet of instructions to lower the roof. Here's a paragraph.

Gather the canvas at each side of the roof aperture and ensure that this is underneath the SEAT BELT type material behind the buckle. This is to ensure that when the buckle is fastened that no part of the canvas is trapped between the buckle and the catch on the roof panel.

heres a couple for you. avoiding the bellows bungee arguments.
always remove your awning winder handle as you can shut the tailgate on it.
also always close up the chair pocket when you've taken the chairs out as you can also close the tailgate on the hanging fabric which jams the tailgate shut and obviously damages the chair sleeve .
also if the weather forecast is hot and many beers, wind the awning in !!!

Don’t open the driver’s door when the awning’s out unless the leg is fully extended.

Put down the sun visors before swivelling the chairs.

Put on the roof topper before attaching the driveaway awning.

If you have a tailgate prop to hold open the boot door with four bikes on the back, do not attempt to manoeuvre your vehicle if the prop is in use.

If you have a puppy in the van, spray anti chew gunk on the handbrake lever, or better still, muzzle and truss the puppy.

1. Keep your head down when getting into and out of the side door to avoid a headache.
  2. Always hold the top of the upper bed mattress when pulling the bed down to avoid trapped/sore fingers.
  3. Always shut the side door and driver’s door before winding out/in the awning.

Don't kick bags of knitting if they stray into the drivers foot well. The puncture wounds from the knitting needles really hurt!

Don't kick bags of knitting if they stray into the drivers foot well. The puncture wounds from the knitting needles really hurt!
Re: pain, Re: privacy glass, Re: excellent parking heater: Don't cook bacon while naked. I know, TMI. Also, I'll get my coat.

Last edited:
Awaiting delivery of our Beach, so I am reading a lot on the forums and I keep stumbling across stories of where *new* owners have come across common issues, problems or fallen victim to common gotcha's with their Cali's and when I stumble across them I am making a mental note.

For example just read about an awning that's been ripped when closing it, seems common sense to be careful but it appears not to be common issue.

We met *flying banana* at a VW meet and he gave us some good tips regarding owning a Cali, like carrying a battery meter and amps of certain appliances.

What have you fallen victim to or learn't from that would be useful to new Cali owners, whether it's electric hook up, ramps, pop tops, screen covers, fridges, storage, batteries, seats, bike racks, fuses, central locking, parking heaters etc etc.

Would be nice to have a concise list of things to be aware of in one thread for new owners, without too much of debate around each thing.

Not sure if a list already exists?

Daz....
Treat everything with respect! Handle with care! For example, when lowering the blinds (we have a 2015 T5 Cali) use both hands and lower evenly. Just little things like this if used carelessly can create a problem. So far so good and welcome aboard!

If you park with the tailgate too close to the wall to open fully, don't be tempted to open it a bit and hold it down at an angle while ducking under and grabbing what you need from the boot. In these ridiculous circumstances which only a complete plonker in a rush would attempt, the part of the tailgate which curves around to meet the side of the van just above the rear light cluster becomes a pointy spear-like weapon perfectly placed to stab you in the head when you move backwards to get out from under the tailgate you are holding.

If you insist on this level of stupidity, get at least one thing right and marry a GP who carries a mini-A&E in her handbag and can rescue your scalp.

It's easier if you just move the sodding van.

Your Cali will come with just a 1m hook up cable. Buy a 30m cable before your first trip.
Remember that cables should have a coiled and uncoiled rating, always check your power usage is below that rating. If it doesnt have a coiled rating don't use it coiled. I personally unroll it every time. Coiled up they can get hot and create a problem.

1570620650485.png

Remember that cables should have a coiled and uncoiled rating, always check your power usage is below that rating. If it doesnt have a coiled rating don't use it coiled. I personally unroll it every time. Coiled up they can get hot and create a problem.

View attachment 51314

Thank goodness for those two bits of insulation tape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View attachment 51314
We keep our cable coiled up inside the top bed - better than a hot water bottle

I fold it quite carefully but I had micro holes around the clamp, I did reinforce those with tear aide too.
After doing this to one side of mine, in spite of being obsessively careful, I sat down in a fit of rage to reread the owners manual (mine's in German, give me a break!). So it turns out, after rolling up the fabric, we are supposed to stuff it behind and UNDER the black woven webbing that is behind the clamp. No Westfalia employee where I bought the van, or VW employee where I have the van serviced and had the roof rot repair done, told me this when we went through how to properly put the roof down. News to me, but I hope I spare someone else the pain. I habitually reread the manual as evening entertainment before going to sleep (I'm currently single, could these be related...), and even I had never found this before. But, it's there. Even so, this is VW's 21st century solution to a roof clamp on a 70,000 euro vehicle. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Check the top of the wind out awning is clear of debris before winding in, especially if parked under trees, otherwise leaves, twigs and seeds can get trapped in the awning and cause damage.
Also check the roof drainage channels are clear before lowering, pine needles are great at blocking the drain holes!
Put a card on the speedo to remind you Turn off the gas, Unplug electric lead and Move waste bucket BEFORE moving off :)

Why have VW always insisted on fabric seats in a vehicle that's going to be lived in on muddy campsites by families with kids and dogs? Buy and fit waterproof covers for the seats or at least get the fabric treated with Lifeshine, Scotchguard or similar otherwise you will regret it.

The Ocean is even worse, with that horrid light coloured fabric that stains when all you've done is look at it. If you buy a Caravelle you can have full Nappa leather that wipes clean with a wet wipe. So why not both versions of the California? I know you can option Alcantara at vast expense on the Ocean but even the leather elements of that option have now been quietly changed to a cheap plastic faux leather.

Yes, leather can be hot and sticky in summer but at least you can cover it with material or a blanket for those rare occasions. IMO, for most of the year leather would be a far more practical interior.

Why have VW always insisted on fabric seats in a vehicle that's going to be lived in on muddy campsites by families with kids and dogs? Buy and fit waterproof covers for the seats or at least get the fabric treated with Lifeshine, Scotchguard or similar otherwise you will regret it.

The Ocean is even worse, with that horrid light coloured fabric that stains when all you've done is look at it. If you buy a Caravelle you can have full Nappa leather that wipes clean with a wet wipe. So why not both versions of the California? I know you can option Alcantara at vast expense on the Ocean but even the leather elements of that option have now been quietly changed to a cheap plastic faux leather.

Yes, leather can be hot and sticky in summer but at least you can cover it with material or a blanket for those rare occasions. IMO, for most of the year leather would be a far more practical interior.
Everything will be vegan soon, leather is sooo exploitative.

Back