Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Gotcha's - New Beach Owners, Things to Be Aware Of!

Everything will be vegan soon, leather is sooo exploitative.
That's all very well but what do vegans think will happen to all the animals that they are trying not to exploit?

Never mind, I expect all the farmers will still keep them on as pets! :thumb

Close the rear window blind whilst it's still easy to get to (normally when you first get to your site), especially if you have a tow-bar mounted bike rack.

Lost count of the number of times we remember just before bed time and it's cold / wet outside.

Leather, cold in winter and positively dangerous on a hot sunny day. Nos: 3 son would agree having suffered mild but painful burns on the back of his legs one year. If I had leather seats I would get cloth seat covers.
Leather seats not very common in Australia.

After doing this to one side of mine, in spite of being obsessively careful, I sat down in a fit of rage to reread the owners manual (mine's in German, give me a break!). So it turns out, after rolling up the fabric, we are supposed to stuff it behind and UNDER the black woven webbing that is behind the clamp. No Westfalia employee where I bought the van, or VW employee where I have the van serviced and had the roof rot repair done, told me this when we went through how to properly put the roof down. News to me, but I hope I spare someone else the pain. I habitually reread the manual as evening entertainment before going to sleep (I'm currently single, could these be related...), and even I had never found this before. But, it's there. Even so, this is VW's 21st century solution to a roof clamp on a 70,000 euro vehicle. Unbelievable.
I always find when I get my van back from VW, they havent even done this either. With the isotop fitted its definitely a tighter fit although I get no roof squeaks anymore ;)

I once got my van back from Listers and they had left the clip hanging down inside the van but managed to get the hatch closed. Took me quite a while to get it back open again.

I always find when I get my van back from VW, they havent even done this either. With the isotop fitted its definitely a tighter fit although I get no roof squeaks anymore ;)

I once got my van back from Listers and they had left the clip hanging down inside the van but managed to get the hatch closed. Took me quite a while to get it back open again.
Matt, can you elaborate a little more about how hard it is to roll the roof fabric back and stuff it UNDER the black webbing behind the clamp to avoid micro punctures, with the Isotop fitted? Isotop is my preferred solution after reading endlessly about topper vs. interior insulation, but I'm uneasy about this aspect.

Matt, can you elaborate a little more about how hard it is to roll the roof fabric back and stuff it UNDER the black webbing behind the clamp to avoid micro punctures, with the Isotop fitted? Isotop is my preferred solution after reading endlessly about topper vs. interior insulation, but I'm uneasy about this aspect.
I've had two Calis to date with Isotops fitted, the second being a Beach. They really aren't difficult to stow away.

As the roof comes down grab the inner and outer liner together on each side at the front and pull it in towards the centre of the vehicle. This is easier if you have a bungee fitted as that will ensure the two layers fold in neatly towards the centre. Next assist the roof down to the almost closed position. Then loosely roll up the Isotop and roof canvas together and tuck it behind the seat belt webbing part of the over lock roof catch. At this point you should be able to see the black metal claws that are responsible for punching the neat holes in the canvas of a careless owners Cali. Lightly closed the roof catch and feel for these claws. It's easy to both see and feel these claws to ensure that no material is trapped in the catch before finally clicking the catch closed.

If the roof catch is too tight it can be adjusted to ease the closing but remember it should be tight in order to form a water tight seal around the roof.

It's not massively difficult just probably takes an extra minute over the normal procedure, I lower it half way and regather then lower fully. The biggest challenge is that I can't see the inside of the outer canvas hence bellows bungee for solo or my good lady watching from the outside.

My canvas already had a few micro puntures from when it was a demo, I fixed them with Tear Aide but haven't had any issues since I fitted the Isotop in August (or whenever it was).

Shame you aren't close you could just come and have a look. My isotop video is almost done but I need to refilm a few bits so I could try and film the lowering process if it helps. Its quite hard to film in there though and do the closure at the same time :D

It's not massively difficult just probably takes an extra minute over the normal procedure, I lower it half way and regather then lower fully. The biggest challenge is that I can't see the inside of the outer canvas hence bellows bungee for solo or my good lady watching from the outside.

My canvas already had a few micro puntures from when it was a demo, I fixed them with Tear Aide but haven't had any issues since I fitted the Isotop in August (or whenever it was).

Shame you aren't close you could just come and have a look. My isotop video is almost done but I need to refilm a few bits so I could try and film the lowering process if it helps. Its quite hard to film in there though and do the closure at the same time :D
Thanks, I’ll be looking forward to the vídeo!

Turn your lights off from auto when camping - otherwise you will risk illuminating campsite at night .

Back