Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California in a crash?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
just wondering if anyone has crashed their California and how it faired.

Areas of concern for me would be.....

* Metal parcel shelf/bed being pushed through back seats in rear impact slicing through kids backs!
* Cabinets/ kitchen coming loose after impact
* Side impact causing kitchen/fridge to be pushed into rear passengers
* Lack of airbags in the rear

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/time-to-test-the-cover.15368/

this was a hard rear end at speed while I was stopped. I would say that if you are in a crash where by the inside is pushed in then I would say you be in a better position than in a small car.
the rear seat in the Cali I understand is crash tested where some conversions are not

We had a total roll-over after a car hit the right back side in an intersection. He came across red with great force. The cali was full of stuff, because we where moving things for our daughter. We where 3 in the car and NO airbacks went off at all, and despite the car was a wreck, we did not suffer major injuries.

In my opinion the car is quite safe, because you have a great deal of space around you. And its a heavy vehicle. But that said, it depends what kind of impact you take and where you are getting it.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/in-shock-and-very-sad-….13797/

IMG_3768.JPG

Another area of concern is the gascylinder. Could contains about 3kg liquified gas. Driving with an open valve on top of the cylinder is quite unsafe in case of a serious crash.....

just wondering if anyone has crashed their California and how it faired.

Areas of concern for me would be.....

* Metal parcel shelf/bed being pushed through back seats in rear impact slicing through kids backs!
* Cabinets/ kitchen coming loose after impact
* Side impact causing kitchen/fridge to be pushed into rear passengers
* Lack of airbags in the rear
That's the difference between a California and a conversion. The California is very strong including the habitation area.
Why do you think the gas cylinder is housed within the Water tank?

That's the difference between a California and a conversion. The California is very strong including the habitation area.
Why do you think the gas cylinder is housed within the Water tank?

The cylinder will be relatively safe in the watertank, but with the great forces at a crash the gasline between cylinder and burners could be teared off. Just in that case it's nice the valve at the top of the cylinder is closed.....

The cylinder will be relatively safe in the watertank, but with the great forces at a crash the gasline between cylinder and burners could be teared off. Just in that case it's nice the valve at the top of the cylinder is closed.....

Of cause it can leak or even explode if unlucky, but it is build into the water tank to take impact, and maybe even more important: Gas is heavier than air, and the gas tank inside the water tank, has a hole in the bottom, so that leaking gas can escape out of the car.

Well it does not cope with the problem you describe. But of cause no one of us forget to turn of the gas (on the bottle) when driving around – do we :cool:

Back