Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California owner loses appeal against fine

I think car bays are getting smaller but thankfully my California still fits almost all. What about big whites and LWB conversions. Where will they be welcome if this becomes the norm?

Spaces havent kept up with car size and its frustrating, I constantly worry about other less thoughtful parkers and although I don't condone two spaces, I get where he is coming from. The fact he paid for both though seems fair enough.

I wouldnt drive my ferrari to a supermarket though ;) lol

This really is a prime example of jobsworth behaviour. Two spaces paid for, what’s the problem??!

I completely sympathise with this chap. The car is irrelevant to the argument but I get the feeling the traffic warden and council will have thought “oooo look, a Ferrari, we can do this one”.

Stupid

Lawyers!!!! The rules of the car park used the word "shall" as opposed to "should". "Shall" is mandatory, "should" is advisory. As has been said Jobsworth :headbang.

I think car bays are getting smaller but thankfully my California still fits almost all. What about big whites and LWB conversions. Where will they be welcome if this becomes the norm?

Having previously owned a "big White" I can categorically state that they are made to feel unwelcome everywhere north of Calais and south of Glasgow. We owned one for 5 years & even in that relatively short period it was noticeable that parking was getting harder & harder to park with more height barriers & places that specificaly wouldn't let you pay for two spaces. When you can't even use a park & ride car park because of height restrictions its getting silly.

It may be a coincedence but the popularity of motorhomes with the travelling fraternity seems to have a correlation with the clamp down on parking.

It was the parking problems that was one of the main reasons for us downsizing.

The insides have shrunk as well, the one on the left would have fitted at least Mum, Dad 4 kids & luggage for a fortnights holiday, you wouldn't get that in the one on the right.

I’m presuming the law is in place to make sure people pay for the space they take up and it has been used to the letter of the law to penalise this bloke, incorrectly.
However I have no sympathy, just because this bloke can afford to pay for two spaces it limits the opportunity to park for those less fortunate and whose motor may be worth a damn site less but equally valuable to them.
No mate, because you have loads of money and can afford it you can’t take up 2 spaces.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think this image just about sums up how cars have grown and the need for parking spaces to grow too

View attachment 27236
On the other hand you could probably drive the new mini into a wall at 50 MPH and walk away, not so the cute one, which would dump an engine in your lap while your face had an argument with the steering wheel.

The insides have shrunk as well, the one on the left would have fitted at least Mum, Dad 4 kids & luggage for a fortnights holiday, you wouldn't get that in the one on the right.

I see this with a lot of the silly 4x4, crossovers etc. Look big on the outside, no space inside.
Some friends of ours bought an Evoque, then found out two pushchairs for their twins didn’t fit in the boot space. Yet the same push chairs fit in our MK 6 Golf hatch :Grin
:headbang

It seems that Mr McWhinney did win the *reason* for his appeal.

"Mr McWhinney says the reason for the appeal is not for the sake of the £90, but is about seeking common sense."

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

So did he win then...?
Sorry, I’m not clicking a link connected to the mirror:rolleyes:

Maybe he wants to copy Ashers bakery, another NI company who hit the headlines..... Their profits have soared since! :mad:

I don't know the nature of the car park or it's popularity. If it is a much needed facility and prime city centre space then possibly a bit anti-social otherwise it's just lost income with someone prepared to pay for two empty spaces instead of one,

Near where I live we have a car park, seafront, leisure centre that I use, it's huge and never full yet we have had a similar problem of someone with a large vehicle being prohibited to take up more than one space. The council, in that respect, is tossing away extra income it could be earning.

It is the same with overnight parking although more and more councils now are waking up to the continental examples of Aires and earning cash from otherwise dead space at a dead time, as well as encouraging more commerce into towns.

I don't know the nature of the car park or it's popularity. If it is a much needed facility and prime city centre space then possibly a bit anti-social otherwise it's just lost income with someone prepared to pay for two empty spaces instead of one,

Near where I live we have a car park, seafront, leisure centre that I use, it's huge and never full yet we have had a similar problem of someone with a large vehicle being prohibited to take up more than one space. The council, in that respect, is tossing away extra income it could be earning.

It is the same with overnight parking although more and more councils now are waking up to the continental examples of Aires and earning cash from otherwise dead space at a dead time, as well as encouraging more commerce into towns.

Good point.
Our town gets quite a few tourists. I would be more than happy to see our town car parks being used at night (respectfully) for a small fee.
Surely a great way for local councils to create revenue and more importantly bring extra £££ to local businesses

I’m presuming the law is in place to make sure people pay for the space they take up and it has been used to the letter of the law to penalise this bloke, incorrectly.
However I have no sympathy, just because this bloke can afford to pay for two spaces it limits the opportunity to park for those less fortunate and whose motor may be worth a damn site less but equally valuable to them.
No mate, because you have loads of money and can afford it you can’t take up 2 spaces.

Mike

Do let us know when you try something similar and fail, won't you?

Do let us know when you try something similar and fail, won't you?

Firstly I won’t be trying it and I wonder if you think it would be ok to park across two bays in a free car park or it’s somehow ok if you pay.

I would be well unimpressed if I couldn’t park because someone had taken two slots. Have you never grumbled when people park poorly preventing you parking ?

Mike

If a Cali driver did that in our local supermarket car park (the only sizeable car park in our small town, but still not very big) it would certainly be frowned on and I'd be cross as the Cali fits in a normal space. Getting in and out can be a bit tight with those big doors but I sometimes use the sliding door.
I agree that parking spaces haven't kept up with car size but if they did we would lose spaces, which is best?

Can't say about big whites, they probably wouldn't even be able to negotiate our tiny back roads and sharp corners and certainly wouldn't manage to get into the car park!

If a Cali driver did that in our local supermarket car park (the only sizeable car park in our small town, but still not very big) it would certainly be frowned on and I'd be cross as the Cali fits in a normal space. Getting in and out can be a bit tight with those big doors but I sometimes use the sliding door.
I agree that parking spaces haven't kept up with car size but if they did we would lose spaces, which is best?

Can't say about big whites, they probably wouldn't even be able to negotiate our tiny back roads and sharp corners and certainly wouldn't manage to get into the car park!
I agree with you and therefore surprised that you along with 4 others disagreed with my post (11) on the subject. I’m presuming you misread what I posted or perhaps I misread something. Confused as not one of the 5 gave a reason for disagreeing.

Mike

I agree with you and therefore surprised that you along with 4 others disagreed with my post (11) on the subject. I’m presuming you misread what I posted or perhaps I misread something. Confused as not one of the 5 gave a reason for disagreeing.

Mike
Looking back I can't see why I disagreed either and have removed my 'rating'. I must have misunderstood what you said at the time although I can't see why, or else I clicked on the wrong thread! I can only apologise!

Looking back I can't see why I disagreed either and have removed my 'rating'. I must have misunderstood what you said at the time although I can't see why, or else I clicked on the wrong thread! I can only apologise!
I suspect you misread my post. I was surprised. Easily done on a BB

Mike

Back