Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California roof trim

CALICAROLINE

CALICAROLINE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We have recently raised an issue with VW regarding our new Ocean’s roof which has grey sticky tape applied to the interior perimeter trim. Having initially discussed this with the supplying dealership, they told us all MY2023 California’s have this tape applied, which seems to cover the raw cut edge of the aluminium perimeter trim. I can’t believe this is the correct finishing detail for such a premium product. This is a brand new factory produced California, not a conversion.

My local main dealer has (so far) refused to resolve the issue under warranty as they think it wasn’t delivered like this, which it was. I’ve now contacted VW Customer Services and await their response.

Have any other owners raised this with VW? If so, it would be good to know the advice received.

IMG_0932.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

We have recently raised an issue with VW regarding our new Ocean’s roof which has grey sticky tape applied to the interior perimeter trim. Having initially discussed this with the supplying dealership, they told us all MY2023 California’s have this tape applied, which seems to cover the raw cut edge of the aluminium perimeter trim. I can’t believe this is the correct finishing detail for such a premium product. This is a brand new factory produced California, not a conversion.

My local main dealer has (so far) refused to resolve the issue under warranty as they think it wasn’t delivered like this, which it was. I’ve now contacted VW Customer Services and await their response.

Have any other owners raised this with VW? If so, it would be good to know the advice received.

View attachment 125858

View attachment 125859

View attachment 125860

View attachment 125861
That’s a surprise, another dealer that doesn’t know about Californias. Tape is as supplied from the factory. Been there since at least 2012 (my van) .

Last edited:
Yes my Cali also has this excellent VW design detail, think the tape was an afterthought by the factory, don’t look good, not really an issue as never caught myself on the cut edge, but you expect better on a vehicle costing £70k.

View attachment 125858

View attachment 125859

View attachment 125860

View attachment 125861
I found your post/photos interesting. We’ve recently spotted small amounts of water in our roof area and I found that it appears to be coming in around a place where there is tape (see photo). I didn’t realise that this could be an area where there is a join, that’s interesting indeed!
I have various photos and videos and it van is booked in for diagnosing the leak at the same time as our first service in October (which we are happy with as the leak is “small” and we’d plan to avoid having the roof up when weather wet)…
I agree that the tape doesn’t look professional, especially on your model. We have beach camper MY24. The tape on ours is quite “flat” compared to your photo.
IMG_9478.jpeg

Much neater on my MY23 but a standard “feature”

IMG_4083.jpeg