Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Room versus Driveaway Awning

Has anyone owned both, ie a driveaway awning and a Comfortz Room? I am interested in a comparison. I am dithering about one or the other.

I am leaning towards the driveaway, because you obviously don't have to pack it up if you go out for the day. They appear to similarly priced.

I may buy one wall, just to keep the wind away from whichever direction it is blowing.

Thank you
We're pretty new to campervanning, and realise that there's so much we don't know! We bought the Vango Palm Air which was on offer at £299 as the Mark 11 version was imminent. We also bought the driveaway kit for about £22. It's a small awning but there's only 2 of us, and just improves camping experience; space for a doormat, porta potti and somewhere to put your muddy boots, etc., and just gives that feeling of 'space'. Once you get the hang of it, it only takes 15 mins to put up (the 2 air beams are literally an easy 1 minute blow up each) and about 20 to take down and pack away. And, of course, you can drive away leaving it standing and effectively preventing your pitch from being taken! The only negatives we've found are the obvious drying out issue if packed away wet and the fact that as you attach to the rail on the awning cassette, there is an inevitable 2 inch gap between the awning sides and the van, so not totally rain and wind proof. I guess, with money no object, the answer is to by the awning and the comfortz!

These are great but flies seem to love that bright green colour!!!
Found a new website with a Rolling Stone colour, looks to be available to pre order for June delivery the same as the green one.

CAMPER10 code still looks to give free inner tent too, think we might order this colour.

a0ad5c7d23658b2f7b1d92737f14deb5.jpg

With all these things It comes down to personal choice. Like do you sleep up or down? Which way round? Do you cook in the van? Do you own a porta potti. Everyone is different and we all have our own personal views that won’t suit others. Best way is try things out for yourself, if you like them good if not then you won’t do it again.

With all these things It comes down to personal choice. Like do you sleep up or down? Which way round? Do you cook in the van? Do you own a porta potti. Everyone is different and we all have our own personal views that won’t suit others. Best way is try things out for yourself, if you like them good if not then you won’t do it again.
Totally agree, to end up with our current setup we have had a Khyam motordome, comfortz safari room and a Kampa motion air. All had their pros and cons but for us the Gybe is perfect now.

Found a new website with a Rolling Stone colour, looks to be available to pre order for June delivery the same as the green one.

CAMPER10 code still looks to give free inner tent too, think we might order this colour.

a0ad5c7d23658b2f7b1d92737f14deb5.jpg
Think that must be new, I would have gone for that if it was there when I got mine!

Right now the weather has changed and it's been raining all night, so grateful for the extra space in our awning.PXL_20210601_181626186.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Gybe bus tent works for us after various combinations. Love the fact it doesn’t have a tunnel and it keeps the van bright and light. A good drive away iption and packs pretty small. Just 10 pegs needed and one valve to inflate. Been in some very strong winds and no issues.

View attachment 79297

View attachment 79298
Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the carpet/groundsheet from?

I have both and it is dependent on how long/who with. I have been camping solo recently and it was impossible to put up the drive away awning on my own. I have an air and a poled version of differing sizes and both require 2 people to pitch. The comfortz was simple, quick and manageable. However the disadvantage being u can’t drive away as all has to be dismantled. Not difficult just a faff. There are pros and cons for each.

Wee Broon Van have done a comparison video between a blow up awning and a Thule Awning room. They don’t come to any real conclusion as there are Pros and Cons to each.

Wee Broon Van have done a comparison video between a blow up awning and a Thule Awning room. They don’t come to any real conclusion as there are Pros and Cons to each.

Interesting.

They use the G2 Thule room not the G3 which is much more faff but can be weather tight, and even be heated by the parking heater.

We have always used a pup tent for extra space for all the stuff you want to keep out of the van. Our latest van came with the Comfortz awning room so we gave it a try on our last trip. Unfortunately it rained a lot during the night and we obviously didn't angle the wind out awning enough so we woke up to a huge bulge of water in it. Apart from that, it was fine, but it's not very warm and obscures a lot of light even with the blinds up so we didn't really see the advantage. We'll probably keep it in the van anyway and the tip re the side panels stowing with the folding chairs is really useful. Any advice on when it's of most and least use? Maybe we will grow to love it...!

We have always used a pup tent for extra space for all the stuff you want to keep out of the van. Our latest van came with the Comfortz awning room so we gave it a try on our last trip. Unfortunately it rained a lot during the night and we obviously didn't angle the wind out awning enough so we woke up to a huge bulge of water in it. Apart from that, it was fine, but it's not very warm and obscures a lot of light even with the blinds up so we didn't really see the advantage. We'll probably keep it in the van anyway and the tip re the side panels stowing with the folding chairs is really useful. Any advice on when it's of most and least use? Maybe we will grow to love it...!
We mix and match ours, having dogs we do find it useful. Also if it’s wet it’s great to have somewhere to dry off in before getting into the Cali.
If we are staying anywhere more than a few nights then we probably put it up. Not always the 3 panels, sometimes just one or 2. If we stop somewhere overnight or even on a day out we occasionally put one panel up as a wind break or a sunscreen.
It’s a versatile piece of kit, you just need to find what and if it works for you.

We made the cardinal sin of 'collecting' various bits from this forum before we knew what worked best for us. And we still don't know what's best if I'm honest...but we have:
  • Cinch hub - so easy, good size. Great if you're pitching in the rain and takes no time to get shelter. We wind out the awning to get some cover and then pop up the Cinch to decant stuff into.
  • Side panels for the wind out awning - like the Cinch, great if it's raining when you arrive as you can get an enclosed area quickly, but of course you need to take it all down if you move. Also a bit dark we found, which is a shame if the sun does come out! We're unlikely to use these much and may actually sell them.
  • A small drive-away awning - Outwell Darlington - perfect size for us as we can move our fridge and sink unit into this if we're staying for a long time on one site. This is our preferred option, but is obviously more hassle to put up and take down, although a lot easier than and pre-Cali 8-berth inflatable tent!
We also have a small pop-up tent we used when we first got the Beach to store stuff in (probably won't use that again now) and a pop-up shower / toilet tent, never used on a trip, although came in handy over lock-down in the garden for visitors! When we bought the Darlington we also got a rear awning as part of the deal. Don't think we'll ever use that, although very easy to put up and would work well with a Slidepod kitchen I imagine.

So we clearly have more kit than we need, I can't resist picking up a 'bargain' - all the gear, no idea! But with two kids we do find the extra space of an external covered area essential, it makes the bedtime shuffle a lot easier. I'd find it hard to choose between the Cinch and the Darlington, especially when some sites only allow attached awnings and / or don't allow pop-up tents.

What has proved great as well if you go for a drive-away is a split power cable (another tip from the forum) so you can keep power to the awning when you go out for the day and just hook the Cali back up when you return.

Phew, that was a bit long!!!! Well done if you read to here!

Last edited:
We have both the Comfortz awning panels and a poor-quality drive-away awning (Easycamp Silverstone). We haven't used the drive-away awning that much, but it's useful to have if it's wet or wintery. We don't need much space, just a protected weatherproof outdoor area so you're not so limited in bad weather. The problem with the Comfortz awning sides is that they are heavy and once they're up you can't move the van without taking them down again. The problem with the drive-away is that it's fiddly to put up, and a bit saggy (resulting in ponding on the roof, resulting in a broken pole). However, I am now coming to the conclusion that we should buy a really good quality drive-away awning and get used to putting it up. I'm well aware of the difference in quality between a cheap tent and a good-quality tent, but I'm not sure which are the best (or better) quality awnings, and there won't be any more shows this year to look at them.

If anyone's got recommendations for a good-quality, taut, neat, well-designed, small drive-away awning (air or pole), I'd be glad to hear them!

We have both the Comfortz awning panels and a poor-quality drive-away awning (Easycamp Silverstone). We haven't used the drive-away awning that much, but it's useful to have if it's wet or wintery. We don't need much space, just a protected weatherproof outdoor area so you're not so limited in bad weather. The problem with the Comfortz awning sides is that they are heavy and once they're up you can't move the van without taking them down again. The problem with the drive-away is that it's fiddly to put up, and a bit saggy (resulting in ponding on the roof, resulting in a broken pole). However, I am now coming to the conclusion that we should buy a really good quality drive-away awning and get used to putting it up. I'm well aware of the difference in quality between a cheap tent and a good-quality tent, but I'm not sure which are the best (or better) quality awnings, and there won't be any more shows this year to look at them.

If anyone's got recommendations for a good-quality, taut, neat, well-designed, small drive-away awning (air or pole), I'd be glad to hear them!
Another alternative is a Cinch tent. Easy (a cinch!) to put up and take down. All panels are unzippable so it can be used like a gazebo, it's tall enough to stand in, and you can drive away any time...

Outwell Milestone Shade Pole. Only just over 10kg and a nice 2.5M x 2.5M footprint.

I've used all types, Air, Quick Erect Kyham, Pole etc and they are all a faff compared to say Outwells Fallcrest Sheets (Brandrup copies basically) on the Wind Out Awning.

The best i've discovered (not driveaway) is California-Camping.de Awning sets:
https://www.california-camping.de/h...ür-T5-T6-1-mit-VW-Markise-original-p305829643

More space than the Comfortz ones and lots of options.

I'm currently selling this one. On the For sale section.

Lemoutier (2).jpg

Aranjuez.jpg

Back