Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Surf Model

no worries :thumb .
Having a look at a GC600 today and then looking forward to a proper look around at the show, see what stuff's like in the flesh. Like you, fancying something next size up from Cali 6m max but struggling with all the different layouts/compromises etc.

Same.
6m max. Ideally MWB crafter for me. The wife wants another Hymer… :headbang

Same.
6m max. Ideally MWB crafter for me. The wife wants another Hymer… :headbang
Free 600s Sprinter ??
(Cheaper on the hymer configurator than current forecourt stock. )

Free 600s Sprinter ??
(Cheaper on the hymer configurator than current forecourt stock. )

She likes the Grand Canyon on Sprinter.
We found this, I could probably live with it. But I want a return to basics.
No bathroom, Poptop on MWB, van as compact as possible.

Best layout on a Sprinter I’ve seen is the Storyteller Overland. Need an European builder to copy that layout and put a pop top on it…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks like someones tried to copy a GC600 but using chipboard to give it the genuine 1980s caravan feel inside, realised they cant afford a moulded roof & slapped a pop top on instead.

The Bailey Endeavour B64 just popped up on something I was reading, 4 berth 6m van with a pop top, bathroom etc based on a Transit at close to £70k looks good value from a well known caravan builder.

Best layout on a Sprinter I’ve seen is the Storyteller Overland. Need an European builder to copy that layout and put a pop top on it…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn’t get the website to load. But looking at their Instagram profile, they’re using both Ford and Merc base vehicles…
This probably needs to go on the bigger vans thread…
#offtopiciknow

Back to the Surf.
Value for money, or save a few more pennies and buy an Ocean…?

The Bailey Endeavour B64 just popped up on something I was reading, 4 berth 6m van with a pop top, bathroom etc based on a Transit at close to £70k looks good value from a well known caravan builder.

Looks like it’s in Hall 19 next week.
Could be worth a look. Think Bailey are British too.

Back to the Surf.
Value for money, or save a few more pennies and buy an Ocean…?

Difficult - if you were coming from say a T5.1 it has some nice bits that were not standard back then - 3 zone aircon & LED lights, multifunction steering wheel even bluetooth for you phone! so coming that way it looks a good deal.

If you were going the other way from a T6.1 Ocean it looks like there's a fair bit left out for not a massive saving. Really depends if you would be adding some of those back in. I did a quick configure & by the time I had added cruise control, tinted double glazed windows, & upgraded the stereo the saving was minimal & not really worth it.

Difficult - if you were coming from say a T5.1 it has some nice bits that were not standard back then - 3 zone aircon & LED lights, multifunction steering wheel even bluetooth for you phone! so coming that way it looks a good deal.

If you were going the other way from a T6.1 Ocean it looks like there's a fair bit left out for not a massive saving. Really depends if you would be adding some of those back in. I did a quick configure & by the time I had added cruise control, tinted double glazed windows, & upgraded the stereo the saving was minimal & not really worth it.
I think that’s the point, by the time you’ve added in the extras that you do want the difference may not be that great. Plus there are items you cannot even spec on the Surf like the outdoor shower.

Back to basics… Not thinking of joining the ‘Beach Club’ are you??? :thumb

If you could you do a Busandbeyond style video as to your findings, it would be handy for those of use that are not going.

I’ll leave it to the experts.
But happy to take a few pics and give an honest, unbiased opinion.

Just been to Preston VW this afternoon. Looked at a GC600, not for us unfortunately. They did have a nice Indium Surf in the showroom. Took a quick pic but forgot the interior, doh! Lighter coloured cabinets were nicer than the weird grey Ocean colour. Agree with Andy's comments above re T5.1/T6.1 spec. Thought it was very nice, depends what extras you need as the choice is pretty limited with the Surf. 20231012_162820.jpg20231012_162827.jpg

Sign of the times I guess, but whenever I see a poptop up I have the urge to aim a hose at it. Will it, won't it.....
I agree the light oak interior is a def plus for the Surf. In the Coast with the lighter bellows makes for a very airy space.

I tell a lie, in the past we have promoted the forum on videos, we’ve explained how it’s a very useful resource for new or prospective California owners. We still believe this. We used to regularly share our videos on the forum and used to receive a lot of lovely comments and useful feedback.

As the years have gone by we have seemed to receive more rude comments about us on here and, as we are only human, we are occasionally rattled by such comments. On our channel we can control such content, if somebody is rude we can delete them.

We have nothing against the forum owners, we’ve never had anything to do with them.

There seem to be a small amount of members that seem to really dislike us and are very vocal about that especially since we sold our California and subsequently bought a Crafter.

At the end of the day we produce free content as a hobby (we both work in air traffic control) and, as with any video or programme that I don’t like, we can be skipped.
Ignore the haters. I like the content. Easy to knock people's efforts.

Just been to Preston VW this afternoon. Looked at a GC600, not for us unfortunately. They did have a nice Indium Surf in the showroom. Took a quick pic but forgot the interior, doh! Lighter coloured cabinets were nicer than the weird grey Ocean colour. Agree with Andy's comments above re T5.1/T6.1 spec. Thought it was very nice, depends what extras you need as the choice is pretty limited with the Surf. View attachment 115415View attachment 115416

What’s put you off the 600…?
Did you get to drive it?

What’s put you off the 600…?
Did you get to drive it?
Didn't need to drive it. Didn't work for us for probably the same reasons as your Evo. Kitchen/bathroom/bed area very hemmed in. Very poor kitchen drawers sizewise, didn't like the fridge, terrible aircraft locker storage that was very compromised, rock hard rear seat. We really wanted it to work, wanted a comfy bed and a loo which it has but the compromises are too much. Rather have a Cali tbh or another Club Joker, both have better storage apart from the GC garage. I think it's asking a lot in a 6m van.

Didn't need to drive it. Didn't work for us for probably the same reasons as your Evo. Kitchen/bathroom/bed area very hemmed in. Very poor kitchen drawers sizewise, didn't like the fridge, terrible aircraft locker storage that was very compromised, rock hard rear seat. We really wanted it to work, wanted a comfy bed and a loo which it has but the compromises are too much. Rather have a Cali tbh or another Club Joker, both have better storage apart from the GC garage. I think it's asking a lot in a 6m van.
The Evo was great when parked.
The Fiat chassis was horrendous. I hated it, it had to go…

There’s always a compromise. Sub 6m the bathroom becomes a bit of a hindrance. Over 6m there’s absolutely no point. You may as well go to a full mota-home.

There’s always a compromise. Sub 6m the bathroom becomes a bit of a hindrance. Over 6m there’s absolutely no point. You may as well go to a full mota-home.
The fixed bed doesn't really work for us, rather have a lounge area that you can use all day and 5mins to make bed up at night. You also get easy access to the locker storage. Everyone's needs are different but whatever you choose has to work for you most of the time.

Back