Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Surf Model

Sat Nav £948 - It’s useless
It’s useful in putting the map on the dash, then the main screen can be doing other stuff. The Sat nav is pretty good. The traffic prediction can be hit and miss but so can Waze tbh, I t’s usually accurate and re-routes are often sensible.
The big screen can also be used as a tv with this bit of kit (not that I have yet) so the larger size would be welcome
https://digidash.store/

Again a choice, if you want to pay £948 for just a bigger screen feel free. Not something I will pay that much for.
Google Maps & Apple Maps wouldn’t work earlier for me in the Pyrenees (Phone GPS was glitching I think due to the mountains). Very happy to have added the VW Sat Nav which I used as a backup.

TBH after all this Surf chat it would be quite nice to see one in the wild. Whoever gets one first please feel free to drop the pics in here!

Ok then how many roof failures have there been ? - I mean proper failures that stop the van being driven to catch a ferry.

I am happy to accept that as a reason for not wanting an electric roof & if you had said that in the first place I wouldn't have responded.
Saying you didn't want one because you are afraid of missing a ferry on the other hand is a ridiculous argument, when as I listed, there are other things that are far more likely to go wrong.

I would be more frustrated at the start or end of a trip. If you rely on the roof for essential sleep space, having a failed electric roof could end a holiday prematurely.
The fact is, flat tyres or cruise control not working is something easily fixed at the roadside or locally, unlike the roof.

Having had both version on my previous vans , I would jump at the chance of a Cali without the pesky electric roof…

Google Maps & Apple Maps wouldn’t work earlier for me in the Pyrenees (Phone GPS was glitching I think due to the mountains). Very happy to have added the VW Sat Nav which I used as a backup.
I have the TomTom app on my phone, you download the maps you want so works regardless of signal. As a long time TomTom user I find it very good, think it is £16 per year fee. Obviously plays on the car screen via CarPlay. Speed cameras, traffic alert etc included.

I have the TomTom app on my phone, you download the maps you want so works regardless of signal. As a long time TomTom user I find it very good, think it is £16 per year fee. Obviously plays on the car screen via CarPlay. Speed cameras, traffic alert etc included.
Thanks. Might try this if I get the issue again. The maps were showing on the phone. Had 5g signal but the phone wouldn’t show its correct location

What with Andy’s couple and this one, that makes at least 3…
I’ve seen quite a few on the Facebook group over the last few weeks.

IMG_7042.jpeg

Both my old Calis always done the re-tensioning thing always in the middle of night, maybe I was just unlucky but use to wake me up and scare the crap out of me:headbang
Would be great if they offered the ocean especially a 4m with manual roof

What with Andy’s couple and this one, that makes at least 3…
I’ve seen quite a few on the Facebook group over the last few weeks.

View attachment 108027
I did a bit of Googling and all the ones I came across were in relation to T5’s. Any fundamental differences between the mechanisms for T5/T6’s? Or just better/more sorted in the T6? Or T5’s are just older so more wear related failures? Suspect trying to answer that using empirical data alone will be difficult.

I did a bit of Googling and all the ones I came across were in relation to T5’s. Any fundamental differences between the mechanisms for T5/T6’s? Or just better/more sorted in the T6? Or T5’s are just older so more wear related failures? Suspect trying to answer that using empirical data alone will be difficult.

I stand to be corrected.
As far as I’m aware, exactly the same…

Probably age related. Judging by the preference for low milage vehicles the liklihood is that such vehicles have a very low usage of the roof hydraulic system. Hydraulic systems rarely used are more prone to problems, as are most low milage in relation to age vehicles. Use it or lose it applies.

I’ve seen a few Surfs for sale now - they look like a pretty decent package. I find the surf decals a bit odd looking though.

I’m sure they make sense for a lot of people but I’m glad I got the Ocean. I prefer the colour of the cabinets on the Ocean and the presence of things like digital dash, reversing camera and awning.

Given that’s it badged ‘surf’, you would have thought that it would have come with roofbars as standard!(…unless it’s the limited edition bodyboard / isup edition.)

Isn’t the point that the Surf is £4,818 cheaper than the Ocean. People commenting it missing this and that, but it is built to a price point. Nearly £5k cheaper than Ocean so more affordable. Surely that is a good thing.

Back