Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California T5 roof rack carrying capacity

J

Johnny Tiderace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anyone out there carrying 3 sea kayaks on a T5? Combined with my Kari-Tek easy load, that would bring the weight being carried to about 100kgs. ( Only carrying two at the moment).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Current handbook states 50kg when down, zero when up

Very Early California handbooks did say 100kg down 50kg up

2012 brochure says this with regard to the optional roofbars:

Pop-up aluminium roof (electro-hydraulically activated) with two attachment rails for roof luggage rack system (maximum roof load 50kg), exterior-mounted stay arm and self-furling bellows

Seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing, when VW produce handbooks, brochures etc...

T6 Max Roof load as per brochure (see bottom line of below); T5 has exactly the same roof design:

- 100kgs spread over 2 x roof bars
- 150kgs spread over 4 x roof bars
- 50kgs is max load when elevated and is also mentioned in the handbook.

image-png.14291

But then T5.1 handbook read as below, which suggests 50kgs:

23d77392-6ef1-4c5d-a9d0-89efba708857-jpeg.89656

If you ask a dealer, they will say no roof load is advised as they are paranoid about the roof issues.

Manual or electric ??
Same for both.

A quick trawl of the brochure / manual archive suggests

2005 Max 50kg
2011 Max 50KG
2012 Max 50KG
2016 T6 Max 50kg
2018 T6 Max 50kg

pic from T6 brochure below - seems pretty clear to me 50KG & only when roof is shut.

IMG_0561.jpeg

I’ve been driving around for some years with 3 surfboards or more and never had any problem. I would be more afraid on an electric one because of the engine. But in a manual one…no! Also there are some after market shocks to make it hold more weight.

I’ve been driving around for some years with 3 surfboards or more and never had any problem. I would be more afraid on an electric one because of the engine. But in a manual one…no! Also there are some after market shocks to make it hold more weight.
Its not the suspension or even lifting the roof that would concern me, its the fact that the feet of the roof bars are fitted into a channel on a roof panel that actually doesn't have a lot attaching it to the van.
Hard cornering would be trying to twist the roof from side to side, an emergency stop would be trying to lift the rear of the roof etc.

Its not the suspension or even lifting the roof that would concern me, its the fact that the feet of the roof bars are fitted into a channel on a roof panel that actually doesn't have a lot attaching it to the van.
Hard cornering would be trying to twist the roof from side to side, an emergency stop would be trying to lift the rear of the roof etc.
You are right about that. I can see your point.
But how many californias did you see with the roof flying away because an emergency stop ? I don’t know..it can happend but seems hard