Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Californian Arctic

For all you fancy T6 folk with apple carplay, I was always jealous. So I've indulged with this new head unit. A Sony XAV-AX8150 single SIN unit with an adjustable display so no need to cut out half the dash like a lot of other T4 owners seem to have done these days. It doesn't block the center vents either. It was destined for my other van back in the UK but it was £300 more over here in Norway so I took it back in my hand luggage flying back :) Sod's law black Friday has knocked off another £70!

52525097945_de09e71027_b.jpg

52524761889_5d384ac9d4_b.jpg

Nice. You do know the LHD T4 can accommodate a full size head unit? It’s only RHD that needs hacking.
All to do with the steering column support structure being designed around LHD.

Nice. You do know the LHD T4 can accommodate a full size head unit? It’s only RHD that needs hacking.
All to do with the steering column support structure being designed around LHD.
I knew the later dash had the pull-out shelf under the head unit but you need to cut these earlier ones and or either get the smaller heater controls. Our silver Syncro has the later dash.

Good sound quality? Is it a nav unit? Fast? My Alpine unit is dog slow booting up and processing stuff.

For all you fancy T6 folk with apple carplay, I was always jealous. So I've indulged with this new head unit. A Sony XAV-AX8150 single SIN unit with an adjustable display so no need to cut out half the dash like a lot of other T4 owners seem to have done these days. It doesn't block the center vents either. It was destined for my other van back in the UK but it was £300 more over here in Norway so I took it back in my hand luggage flying back :) Sod's law black Friday has knocked off another £70!

52525097945_de09e71027_b.jpg

52524761889_5d384ac9d4_b.jpg
Don't get this obsession with black Friday. ALL FRIDAYS MATTER

Good sound quality? Is it a nav unit? Fast? My Alpine unit is dog slow booting up and processing stuff.
Aye, all the nav comes via the apple car play or android auto depending on which way you swing. Can also mirror the phone for other apps too. Might need a speaker upgrade now. Boots up fast AF! it was one of its selling points how fast it is. I'm really chuffed with it so far.

Last month I found the carpets were sodden on the left side under the pedals. I know this is a common issue on T4s as it happened on my Syncro exactly the same back in the UK. I hoped this van wouldn't be as bad with the roof protecting the seal but it's gone in the same way. What's worse, it looks like it's been doing it for a while! Check out the rot down in the corner!

52527072440_d4c63770cf_b.jpg

52527072440_d4c63770cf_b.jpg

It comes in under the seal at the top corner where the panel seam seal meets the rubber screen seal and lets water in. It has come all the way down the inside and rotted from the inside out!

52526871789_28676f80d5_b.jpg

52526591391_e35ae0e053_b.jpg

You can see here looking up. The water comes in the gap where the corrosion starts.

52527066860_1ff2d4608b_b.jpg

It's going to mean the screen coming out treating the rust. Maybe even a spot of welding too! Wish me luck.

Ooooh !! Tricky to tell from the photos, is that with the A pillar trims removed?

Just had all the belts done on the Smurf so it was about time we got out and about again. This was the first sign of winter in the sky again! On the Kystriksveien (Coastal Road) near Ørnes

Dont miss Sandhornoya on the way up. We are 2 months in Norway already.
Dont miss Sandhornoya on the way up. We are 2 months in Norway already.

Kjellingstraumen camping is one of our most favourite camps in whole Norway. Also on your 17 route.

Kjellingstraumen camping is one of our most favourite camps in whole Norway. Also on your 17 route.

Aye been there loads too. Kjellingstraumen is the fjord outlet to Beiarn where we live although there is no road. Theres a photo on page 7 from that same camping back in 2019

Last edited:
Back