Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camper van Joint ownership

J

Jandy61

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Has anyone shared ownership of their camper-van with a second person.
I know in the boating world sharing/time share is quite popular.
Our situation would be
A brand new California 4M so about 35k each after paying extended warranty/ insurance/ maintenance plan/ Ghost alarm/tracker/ dash cam and general camper van accessories.
We live 5 minutes away from each other and we all each own other vehicles, the camper will be for leisure only, from single days and weekends to a few weeks away, we all work full time so not able to travel for months at a time.
I was thinking we could sell the van at 4 years with a years warranty remaining, and share the money.
If one party for whatever reason needed to sell their share, van gets valued and one party buys them out.
We both could buy our own vans, we have one on order, and buying it outright, but as it’s a bit of a luxury for us, we could share, maybe I’d buy and run a nice rib boat with extra..
Anyone shared?

guess it could work unless you both want a week away at Easter!

Has anyone shared ownership of their camper-van with a second person.
I know in the boating world sharing/time share is quite popular.
Our situation would be
A brand new California 4M so about 35k each after paying extended warranty/ insurance/ maintenance plan/ Ghost alarm/tracker/ dash cam and general camper van accessories.
We live 5 minutes away from each other and we all each own other vehicles, the camper will be for leisure only, from single days and weekends to a few weeks away, we all work full time so not able to travel for months at a time.
I was thinking we could sell the van at 4 years with a years warranty remaining, and share the money.
If one party for whatever reason needed to sell their share, van gets valued and one party buys them out.
We both could buy our own vans, we have one on order, and buying it outright, but as it’s a bit of a luxury for us, we could share, maybe I’d buy and run a nice rib boat with extra..
Anyone shared?
I think it would work quite well as you say youve got one on order so that would have been the hardest part agreeing on the spec especially the colour!!
You could have an agreement whereby you have a rota drawn up so its fair from the start with flexibility to swap slots with each others agreement & Id have a strict cleaning protocol as that would really grate if you had a messy sharer!
From the start I would draw up a share agreement with everything covered to prevent disputes.
It would certainly soften the financial impact & the associated guilt that brings with it.
Personally Im not sharing with anybody not even my husband!!

Sounds like a world of pain. Buy your own van, cheaper if required.

Get a pcp have your own Cali and be in control. Personally I would not be able to share, plus it takes away the spontaneous getaways - which is why a camper is great for one, two nights or a planned week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you do if some one dings it. What about a small dent no one owns up to or doesn't realise it's been done in a carpark or something. What about insurance. Who pays the repairs for scratches done when you're certain it wasn't you. A big scratch in the hob or a table? Broken chair or armrest. Most people live with small knocks and scrapes but could you? Especially if you reckon you didn't do them? WHat if one half of you depletes the leisure batteries. What if the other couple are constantly shagging in it? Maps of Africa on the mattresses and smelling of pencil sharpenings when you get your turn in it?
Theres a 2016 ocean for 40k on auto trader. Get that instead. Save your friend ship

I think it would work quite well as you say youve got one on order so that would have been the hardest part agreeing on the spec especially the colour!!
You could have an agreement whereby you have a rota drawn up so its fair from the start with flexibility to swap slots with each others agreement & Id have a strict cleaning protocol as that would really grate if you had a messy sharer!
From the start I would draw up a share agreement with everything covered to prevent disputes.
It would certainly soften the financial impact & the associated guilt that brings with it.
Personally Im not sharing with anybody not even my husband!!
Yes van was ordered in December and got quite a few extra options on the 4M. I do get everyone’s view on possible fall outs, but we already travel and have adventures together, are named drivers on insurance policies for when we drive long distances, Alps etc, yes we would arrange a good valet twice a year, plus the usual general wash and clean, no kids or dogs around, really it’s just my partner and our friend.
She could buy her own new van but would mean two new vans not getting used that much, but I do see it’s a bit of a compromise

What do you do if some one dings it. What about a small dent no one owns up to or doesn't realise it's been done in a carpark or something. What about insurance. Who pays the repairs for scratches done when you're certain it wasn't you. A big scratch in the hob or a table? Broken chair or armrest. Most people live with small knocks and scrapes but could you? Especially if you reckon you didn't do them? WHat if one half of you depletes the leisure batteries. What if the other couple are constantly shagging in it? Maps of Africa on the mattresses and smelling of pencil sharpenings when you get your turn in it?
Theres a 2016 ocean for 40k on auto trader. Get that instead. Save your friend ship
Lol, the map has made me sit up, well she is single at the moment, I guess we would have to be very honest re damage and pay for the fixes ourselves, we have only talked about it briefly, it could be the case she buys her own van and sells the car, not sure I could have a camper van as my only vehicle

Yes van was ordered in December and got quite a few extra options on the 4M. I do get everyone’s view on possible fall outs, but we already travel and have adventures together, are named drivers on insurance policies for when we drive long distances, Alps etc, yes we would arrange a good valet twice a year, plus the usual general wash and clean, no kids or dogs around, really it’s just my partner and our friend.
She could buy her own new van but would mean two new vans not getting used that much, but I do see it’s a bit of a compromise
As long as you know where you both stand to start with I think it will work & if it gives you more peace of mind because of overstretching of finances in the initial purchase then I would seriously consider it - you could always have a break clause of 6 - 12 months to review it all - its really common in the horse world to share/loan horses & common practice to have a water tight legal contract in place to protect both parties. In an ideal world then no but it all depends on your own finances & I know personally that as lovely as these Cali's are they are an expensive luxury & a lot of us go on guilt trips when on the purchase trail.

Yes, boats, light aircraft, holiday homes, horses etc, people do share, for us it is a total luxury nearly touching 70k, could buy an actual house with that..we would have some form of signed agreement, it’s just a seedling idea at the moment,

It works in the boat world so why not a Campervan.
Not sure I would for a California, as for us it’s our main vehicle.

Have wondered about a scheme like this for a bigger van without having to sink £70k of savings into one. Ideally with 3 couples. Would make a good cost saving and an ideal unit for the bigger trips.

Definitely needs to be with someone you totally trust and have the same standards and respect for their belongings as you do.
I really Hope life will get back to pre Covid, but iv got a gut feeling the restrictions etc on camper van use and constant changes to travel plans etc will continue and could reduce the care free lifestyle use of the van, so halving the costs could help justify ownership , anyway we are still buying the van , hopefully arriving around the summer...excited

I bought Clare a Skoda Citigo so I wouldn’t have to share Amarillo with her. Best £10,000 I’ve ever spent.

If you only need a campervan part time, have you considered hiring? It should be cheaper than shelling out £70,000.

We did consider hiring as and when but we had the spare funds to buy one, hence now thinking about sharing as it’s going to be our third vehicle and not get used a great deal

I had some friends that had a barge share.
Start of the year all couples met and one couple got first pick of which weeks they wanted the boat, 2nd couple picked and then 3rd.
Following year couple 1 moved to 3rd pick and 2nd and 3rd moved up a spot.

Apparently it worked really well. All costs were split evenly.

The problem with hiring, is getting what you want (spec) when you want it.
We tried looking at renting a house in Cornwall this year for 3-4weeks over summer. Literally nothing we wanted available. I was told you need to book almost 2 years in advance. Unfortunately that’s not us. We’re very last minute, drop of a hat kind of people...

Forgive me, brilliant (what if the other couple are constantly shagging in it)
set up a secret camera, sell the footage. Some people will play a fortune to see a spotty arse bobbing up and down. After you have paid for the new springs, you will have enough left over for your own van. Sorry I just lowered the tone of this thread.

Back