Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campervan festival tips for a first timer?

Pitstop Penny

Pitstop Penny

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone, we're off to Green Man next weekend and wondering if anyone can help. We've never camped in our Cali Ocean at a festival before and would love a few tips.

One of the major things I'm keen to ask – how secure and safe did you feel at festivals? Did you keep your screen cover on? The popped roof up? Or secure it all as much as possible before leaving to see bands each day?

Anything we should consider aside from the usual suspects: baby wipes, paper plates, spare gas, toilet roll, etc?

Hi KatyCC

Never camped at any festivals but have stayed at lots of car events where the general public are free to roam and never had any issues. Generally left the roof up and kept the blinds closed.

Last edited:
We’ve been many times to festivals. We always leave the roof up but anything such as chairs, table, gas bottles, lamps etc stored away. Basically anything that is of value and easily taken you should keep secure. This applies when you are in the venue and especially overnight. Unfortunately because of the large number of people at these events there are obviously ‘light fingered’ types also. Most events do have 24 hr security but like anywhere it’s not a guarantee. But we have had some great times at these festivals and the Cali is a brilliant way to enjoy them.
There is always a great array of camping outfits to be seen, some people really go overboard with lights and bunting etc etc, Enjoy.

Forgot to mention, some of these festivals have bans on taking alcohol into the actual venue (not the camping areas). The reason is that they want you to buy their massively overpriced drinks. So you may want to give that some thought, it’s hilarious the lengths some people go to in smuggling booze into the venue.

Hi KatyCC

Never camped at any festivals but have stayed at lots of car events where the general public are free to roam and never had any issues. Generally left the roof up and kept the blinds closed.
Thanks so much Karlos! Appreciated. I’m a little nervous but excited.

Forgot to mention, some of these festivals have bans on taking alcohol into the actual venue (not the camping areas). The reason is that they want you to buy their massively overpriced drinks. So you may want to give that some thought, it’s hilarious the lengths some people go to in smuggling booze into the venue.
Oh gosh I know! We’re definitely taking our bourbon in the van. And will be keeping that hidden thank you very much!

We’ve been many times to festivals. We always leave the roof up but anything such as chairs, table, gas bottles, lamps etc stored away. Basically anything that is of value and easily taken you should keep secure. This applies when you are in the venue and especially overnight. Unfortunately because of the large number of people at these events there are obviously ‘light fingered’ types also. Most events do have 24 hr security but like anywhere it’s not a guarantee. But we have had some great times at these festivals and the Cali is a brilliant way to enjoy them.
There is always a great array of camping outfits to be seen, some people really go overboard with lights and bunting etc etc, Enjoy.
Excellent! So keep the crocs indoors overnight and don’t leave anything by the van. Got it. We can’t wait. I’m mainly nervous about losing it amongst a sea of vans now! Might have to buy a flag!

I've done a few fests. My biggest issue is the thunderbox toilets on day 3. for crimping a loaf I prefer my own pan. I use popaloo.

Hi everyone, we're off to Green Man next weekend and wondering if anyone can help. We've never camped in our Cali Ocean at a festival before and would love a few tips.

One of the major things I'm keen to ask – how secure and safe did you feel at festivals? Did you keep your screen cover on? The popped roof up? Or secure it all as much as possible before leaving to see bands each day?

Anything we should consider aside from the usual suspects: baby wipes, paper plates, spare gas, toilet roll, etc?
You’ll have a great time! Green Man has a good reputation and the line up looks great too. After 3 x Glastonbury 2x Beatherder and 1 Bearded Theory festivals in the Cali , all with friends and not with other half - my tip, in addition to some great advice already given here, is to set and stick to some ground rules:

no red wine in the van
all muddy boots or clothing removed before entry to van.
don’t take any valuables you won’t really need
Use the festival lock ups
Make friends with all immediate neighbours
Control which plugs are used for phone charging to preserve engine battery.

I always leave roof up
Screen cover on
Blinds down
Nothing left outside

Green Man policy on alcohol is quite strict. Can’t bring anything in to arena but ok in campervan field (no glass). The single biggest advantage of being in the Cali is cold beer from the fridge!!! Get stuck in at the van - buy your booze in the arena to support the festival. Can always pop back a few times “for a rest and refreshments”

Have a great time - I’m really quite jealous

You’ll have a great time! Green Man has a good reputation and the line up looks great too. After 3 x Glastonbury 2x Beatherder and 1 Bearded Theory festivals in the Cali , all with friends and not with other half - my tip, in addition to some great advice already given here, is to set and stick to some ground rules:

no red wine in the van
all muddy boots or clothing removed before entry to van.
don’t take any valuables you won’t really need
Use the festival lock ups
Make friends with all immediate neighbours
Control which plugs are used for phone charging to preserve engine battery.

I always leave roof up
Screen cover on
Blinds down
Nothing left outside

Green Man policy on alcohol is quite strict. Can’t bring anything in to arena but ok in campervan field (no glass). The single biggest advantage of being in the Cali is cold beer from the fridge!!! Get stuck in at the van - buy your booze in the arena to support the festival. Can always pop back a few times “for a rest and refreshments”

Have a great time - I’m really quite jealous

No red wine? Yikes. Ok, got it. I had planned on a nice wine box, but you might be right. Too much risk of spillage. And thanks! I really can't wait. My last festival was over 13 years ago. So looking forward to dancing, watching bands, eating nice food and drinking nice beer. It'll be a treat.

If you’re allowed and it’s going to be wet, a small connectable awning, like the Outdoor revolution handi utility - under £200) is really useful as a zone to store non expensive stuff, the loo, etc and to get dry in. If it’s poled it’s takes less space in the van and is easy to dry the canvas at home.

Remember that if you keep the pop top up you’ll need to have your alarm off.

we’ve always festivalled with a dog and my biggest worry was someone leaving the van open and him getting out! Now he’s gone I’m more concerned about security of our stuff. Did a very small Festival at the weekend (first without him) and kept the top down.

If you’re concerned, follow the advice of others, but keep your top down. There will be plenty of vans with their tops up that’ll be easier to Knick from than yours.

If you’re allowed and it’s going to be wet, a small connectable awning, like the Outdoor revolution handi utility - under £200) is really useful as a zone to store non expensive stuff, the loo, etc and to get dry in. If it’s poled it’s takes less space in the van and is easy to dry the canvas at home.

Remember that if you keep the pop top up you’ll need to have your alarm off.

we’ve always festivalled with a dog and my biggest worry was someone leaving the van open and him getting out! Now he’s gone I’m more concerned about security of our stuff. Did a very small Festival at the weekend (first without him) and kept the top down.

If you’re concerned, follow the advice of others, but keep your top down. There will be plenty of vans with their tops up that’ll be easier to Knick from than yours.
Out of interest, why have the alarm off? We leave our top up all the time out and about and the alarm's never gone off, only when the door opens from the inside and it's locked.

Out of interest, why have the alarm off? We leave our top up all the time out and about and the alarm's never gone off, only when the door opens from the inside and it's locked.
Ours has gone off when it’s been breezy.

We’ve been to a few and everyone adopts the relaxed approach.
I put chairs and table away when mooching around but, I do no matter where I am.
Poptop stayed up and we never get any hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ours has gone off when it’s been breezy.
I have wondered about double locking it when leaving it parked with the roof is up and it is windy to prevent the rocking setting the motion sensors off but having never had the alarm go off with the normal single lock and the roof up, I wondered if that disabled the motion sensors by default. obviously not.

I have wondered about double locking it when leaving it parked with the roof is up and it is windy to prevent the rocking setting the motion sensors off but having never had the alarm go off with the normal single lock and the roof up, I wondered if that disabled the motion sensors by default. obviously not.
Wait, double locking is different from single locking?

Wait, double locking is different from single locking?
t5.1 single remote button press, whole van alarmed and deadlocked. double press of remote. deadlocks and interior motion sensors disabled. basically like pressing the button on the side pillar (but I think that leaves deadlocks active)

t5.1 single remote button press, whole van alarmed and deadlocked. double press of remote. deadlocks and interior motion sensors disabled. basically like pressing the button on the side pillar (but I think that leaves deadlocks active)
oh, nice to know

Get a wind sock so you find your van again. We have a smiley tomato!
Always wanted to go to the Green Man festival, have fun !

Look up in the sky today 18/08 you will see us flying over this afternoon on Paragliders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done plenty of festivals normal camping, including a local one (Moovin) where the vans and tents are mixed so always had a nosey and chat with the van people there to get ideas for the day I might actually own one.... Fingers crossed, my new Cali arrives in time for next years festival season as got a few planned so some good tips above.

Security wise I've always used some small, cheap 30mm padlocks on the tent entrances (a fairly big 5 man one) and put all the chairs, table etc back in it before venturing off to the stages. It paid off once when all the tents around us got "visited" by some scrotes, presumably looking for cash, so emptying out stuff everywhere. Ours was fine, although it was obvious they tried it and moved on.

I'm planning to get an awning for the van so will be doing the same there.

Booze wise, a plain metal water bottle is great if you want to take some into the arenas to tide you over on the sometimes quite long walk (and then refill with water when you get there), but definitely buy from the actual bars and support the festival.

Some good tips. It's our Cali's first festival next weekend at Red Rooster. Yee haw!

Back