Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CampervanBitz - Shoe rack

Thanks that is helpful. Couple more questions if you don't mind?
- You found the edges a bit sharp, so covered them?
- I see you have a 'switch off before starting engine' label. Does your 12v box have an off switch? Is it important to switch off the socket when parked too? In other words is it best not to order the Busboxx socket?
Hi @66tim99 Another member fitted edges and I followed suit. Can’t remember the supplier, sorry. Not really sharp edges on the Shoe Box but I just preferred the finish with edging.
Yes the on/off switch is on the top of the right angled 12v plug. I think the manufacturer is just covering themselves to be honest just in case a power surge damaged the unit. I don’t always remember to switch it off and to date it’s not been a problem. Really handy to have 4 x USB ports and 3 x 12v ports in that location.

View attachment 92974
Why do you need to move it? Looks like the bench could slide forward with it in place?
Yes in theory you can leave it in position. Perhaps we are a bit clumsy, but we tended to knock if off when first using it so we always move it onto the drivers seat when we move the bench forward to make the bed.

111D852E-AD65-490E-925F-2653CAB4B6ED.jpeg

4EB4F49D-FC86-43FF-82C8-0A730E3EE7A4.jpeg

Just for info’ the Bus-Buzz version can stay in place when using the downstairs bed.
Just looked into shipping costs from bus-boxx, as was considering ordering one. They don’t appear to have UK shipping as an option, I’ve sent them an email to check.

I thought these were supposed to be secured with a velcro strap to prevent it moving around in an accident? So I am guessing that if it needs moving to deploy the bed, that would mean undoing the velcro.

I thought these were supposed to be secured with a velcro strap to prevent it moving around in an accident? So I am guessing that if it needs moving to deploy the bed, that would mean undoing the velcro.
For info: The Bus-Boxx version is secured to the floor with double sided self adhesive pads and a velcro safety strap at the rear. It doesn’t need removing to deploy the bed.

DB38F448-6822-490A-9B32-E59916A08407.png

Hawthorn 37, I am interested in what protectors have you got on your step, I am so fed up of cleaning mine, this looks like a good solution as I have back carpets.

Thanks in anticipation

No Velcro strap came with the Campervanbits shoe rack, and I can’t see where it would fit - but we’ll look into doing something like this. It’s so lightweight it’s easy to move etc - some kind of fixing would mean we wouldn’t move it when using the bed. No so concerned about crash safety - it’s not going to do any damage.

On the issue of things flying around in an accident. I recently broke the 3D printed brackets that secure the two IKEA Sunnersta rails in my van. When ordering replacements Ian, at BigTedPrintz, asked if I left them in place when driving and suggested that vibration might cause them to fracture (Maybe but I broke mine due to brute force and ignorance). He recommended removing them when on the move for the above reason and in case they flew around the cab in an accident, which for me would be too much hassle. So, I’ve now secured them in position as designed but with the addition of Gorilla double sided tape in two places on each bracket - now pretty solid.

202954C4-2019-4953-BC3A-514697C9DB09.jpeg

7888C2C2-F77A-4C82-B7AB-8C2C1A2A0E9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Attached with strip of Velcro,can be left in place when moving seat forward.

View attachment 93071

View attachment 93072
The Campervanbits model profile is too thin for Velcro where you have yours (see pics) but I will try using some self adhesive Velcro on the flat face to fasten to the drawer side. Might work - but the plastic is very shiny.

image.jpg

The Campervanbits model profile is too thin for Velcro where you have yours (see pics) but I will try using some self adhesive Velcro on the flat face to fasten to the drawer side. Might work - but the plastic is very shiny.

View attachment 93084
Maybe fix a couple of right angled pieces of plastic to the inside bottom edges and then double sided tape the Shoebox to the floor. Screwfix has a length of this for £3.49

DABE9937-60C2-4FD6-887F-2D8B56F5CDB5.png

Just looked into shipping costs from bus-boxx, as was considering ordering one. They don’t appear to have UK shipping as an option, I’ve sent them an email to check.
Bus-boxx say they don't ship to UK at the moment, but some customers arrange their own shipping to pick up from their warehouse which works fine.

Nice job.
Do you have an electric door? What happens if you mistakenly shut the door?

Think I might make one of these - Bullihackers website doesn't seem to exist any more, so the plans above will be helpful.

@dripster , does it make it difficult to get the inbuilt table in and out of the door? Any improvements you'd make to it? Would you mind sharing a photo with your folding table out please so I can see how it is propped up? Cheers.
Oh blimey, did I ever reply to this? I'm sure you've moved on! Sorry!

Getting the table out is *just* possible still, although if you just crack the door open it's easier.

I did add the USB/12v sockets.

Here it is open.

IMG_20220729_154550_689.jpg

There's a free-to-download plan for a DIY one, in case you're interested. I will see if I can find it for you.

Edit:
Found it. It's from this website, where they have 3 different versions for sale. But at some point in time they offered the DIY-plans below for free.

If you want to download it directly from their website, you can find this plan and 2 others here.
Thank you for this. I have 9 to 12 months to make it.
Do you have the other 2 plans available for download please ?
Looks very handy to have at that side.

Are any of you guys that have made your own shoe store willing to share their plans / details at all? There are some links in this thread for plans, but they are now working. Thanks.

I downloaded measured plans from a web link I found here - I think it was a German site - its a simple one - no USB socket or folding shelf. Ordered Dibond pieces cut to the exact size supplied with the plan. Put together with ally right angle strips under the 2 shelf sections and small flat head nuts/bolts. Works well for us but I need to add a couple of velcro strips to stop it moving.

Th
P M me your address,and I'll make paper patterns of my one, (see photo's),and send them to you.

View attachment 102347

View attachment 102348

View attachment 102349

View attachment 102350
Thats every bit as good as the £90 one we bought!

Out of interest, we’ve found a means of keeping it in place now, by looping some thin bungee cord from the back of the bench and round the bench seat handle. Slip it over the top inside edge of the shoe rack, and it gives just enough staying power to avoid knocking it off on to the ground.