Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping seats not fit for purpose

Mo!

Mo!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all. I have now got both camping seats broken in the same place. These have not been misused at at all, and will be very expensive to replace. Is this a manufacturers issue that I should have replace t’s for? The van is 3 years old.

0C74D6A4-ECF1-409C-BEDD-9B8092FA4B3F.jpeg

FD5B12B3-430D-4FF8-8C48-68C86E6C73FB.jpeg

I have now got both camping seats broken in the same place.
1st van 2012 to 2016 second van 2016 until today - not a lightweight and not managed to break one yet. Interesting that you have broken 2

Mine are still intact too.

The only thing I have to do sometimes is tightening the screws now and then.

It's a bit easy to say something is not fit for purpose when most don't break.
I could say the same about the tambour doors, blinds, swivel seats, ... But if you take care and look out, I don't know how I could break those handles on the chair?

Sorry to hear about your problem. However it's not something I've seen very often, if ever, on the forum. The usual problem with the chairs seems to be the screws falling out, not much more I think.

Reactions: Mo!
It’s only a suggestion but that part of the chair is directly facing the boot area. I wonder if any accidental undue pressure may have come into contact with it from a fully loaded boot over an extended period. Bearing in mind they are only retained by a zipped fabric flap.

Mine fit the purpose of which they are intended.

It could be that there was a bad batch of plastic elbows so it is
worth checking with your dealer.
Although i would think they would only supply the parts and you would have to
fix it yourself.

Last edited:

fix it yourself.

Im out of sync, but isn't shouting - not fit for purpose - a bit of a chavvy thing.
I don't know if VW sells parts for the chairs.
They just want your €100 or more for a new chair.

• Sad
Hi all. I have now got both camping seats broken in the same place. These have not been misused at at all, and will be very expensive to replace. Is this a manufacturers issue that I should have replace t’s for? The van is 3 years old.

View attachment 59437

View attachment 59438
Despite what some people will tell you, this is a common issue with these VW picnic chairs. There is a design fault in the plastic joint shown in your photograph. It fails because this cheap plastic component has a hole through it to take the securing pin/rivet. The hole provides the built in weakness. And before anyone starts banging on about the weight of the person using the chair just bear in mind that this part isn't load bearing. It merely joins the arm to the top of the front leg frame.

You can buy metal replacements for these joints but before going down that road do you have a Factory Extended Warranty? If you have one then VW will replace the whole chair. The FEW offers exactly the same benefits as the original three year warranty despite what the service manager might try telling you. Don't take "it's not covered sir" because it is. VW Customer Services have told me as much in writing.

I've had two go and I also think that they aren't fit for purpose in their factory form. I also don't find them at all comfortable. Accordingly, I don't use them.

The replacement metal joints were being made by DomiT6, a forum member You can contact him via his Email D.Baeurle@gmx.de Use the search function and type in "Folding chair broken" then take a look at post 34. He has posted some great photos.

He is a lovely chap and very helpful.

Last edited:
whaug@camping-schuh.de

Here it is. Pop him an email and he should be able to sort
you out. He did with me, although it was 8yrs ago.

I never knew i had so many Wolfgangs in my inbox :headbang
Thanks for the info, but luckily I haven't lost any screws or bits of those chairs yet.
I always keep an eye on my stuff, and as soon as I see something not correct, I try to mend it before it breaks down.
All you need is a Philips screwdriver and an allen wrench.

Reckon you will struggle after 3 years use to be able to prove not fit for purpose.

• Sad
Thanks for the info, but luckily I haven't lost any screws or bits of those chairs yet.
I always keep an eye on my stuff, and as soon as I see something not correct, I try to mend it before it breaks down.
All you need is a Philips screwdriver and an allen wrench.
I did know that you would know that info.
Although you wouldn't be as fast as me with
the tools :)

I had some ‘Lafuma’ camping chairs that I bought in about 1997 that went all over the place camping and ‘lived’ in the garden and I’ve only just taken them to the tip. And they were a fraction of €100 for the pair. Bloody comfortable too.

fix it yourself.

Im out of sync, but isn't shouting - not fit for purpose - a bit of a chavvy thing.
Bit unnecessary

I had some ‘Lafuma’ camping chairs that I bought in about 1997 that went all over the place camping and ‘lived’ in the garden and I’ve only just taken them to the tip. And they were a fraction of €100 for the pair. Bloody comfortable too.
I also have a pair of cheap tubular fold away camping chairs that I bought from a motorway services about twenty years ago. They too are über comfortable and still going strong. They cost about £10 each from memory. I have never found the VW chairs that comfortable and no longer trust them.

I also have a pair of cheap tubular fold away camping chairs that I bought from a motorway services about twenty years ago. They too are über comfortable and still going strong. They cost about £10 each from memory. I have never found the VW chairs that comfortable and no longer trust them.
Ive never used mine, and always carry additional camping chairs.

one of mine broke in the exact same spot. swapped out under warranty at the time. as said there is a guy who makes the metal replacement parts. if you took it apart and took the piece to anyone with a lathe they should easily be able to make you some. easy repair that.

See "load through hatch"#34. I too have doubts about the VW chairs, on pulling out when being demonstrated to me, a number of loose screws also dropped out. Although that was easily fixed, I don't find the chairs comfortable and so decided to make space for my generic folding canvas chairs bought at a show in 1991 for the princely sum of £5 each. They are now repaired with leather patches over the canvas stress points, but are very comfortable.

Both of mine went at same point - i am sure both due to stresses of placing on uneven ground - the first was replaced within warranty - second one not. I have carved a new piece to replace the weak plastic part and works well. I will order the aluminium parts mentioned above to keep as spares. I like them and obviously fit tidily in the door slot so would like to keep them going. Another thought, maybe they get brittle being in cold door during the winter - mine went after three years ?

Back