Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping seats not fit for purpose

1st van 2012 to 2016 second van 2016 until today - not a lightweight and not managed to break one yet. Interesting that you have broken 2
I know right? I am not a big fella (not that that matters, as these parts are not load bearing). I treat all my kit with care, so wondered if this was a common fault?
Mine are still intact too.

The only thing I have to do sometimes is tightening the screws now and then.

It's a bit easy to say something is not fit for purpose when most don't break.
I could say the same about the tambour doors, blinds, swivel seats, ... But if you take care and look out, I don't know how I could break those handles on the chair?
Sorry, wrong choice of phrase - what I meant was - is there a known weakness/manufacturers fault? I treat my kit with care, it is not misuse.

Sorry to hear about your problem. However it's not something I've seen very often, if ever, on the forum. The usual problem with the chairs seems to be the screws falling out, not much more I think.
Thanks for responding

I know right? I am not a big fella (not that that matters, as these parts are not load bearing). I treat all my kit with care, so wondered if this was a common fault?

Sorry, wrong choice of phrase - what I meant was - is there a known weakness/manufacturers fault? I treat my kit with care, it is not misuse.
Interesting how many have had issues.

• Sad
Reactions: Mo!
1st van 2012 to 2016 second van 2016 until today - not a lightweight and not managed to break one yet. Interesting that you have broken 2
It’s only a suggestion but that part of the chair is directly facing the boot area. I wonder if any accidental undue pressure may have come into contact with it from a fully loaded boot over an extended period. Bearing in mind they are only retained by a zipped fabric flap.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I don't think this is the cause - I have a sliding drawer setup and my boot is never overloaded. But it was worth a thought, thanks

Mine fit the purpose of which they are intended.

It could be that there was a bad batch of plastic elbows so it is
worth checking with your dealer.
Although i would think they would only supply the parts and you would have to
fix it yourself.
Ah, well that would still be very acceptable - these things happen. I would be very happy if I was offered that, and I could fix them. Thanks for the response

Despite what some people will tell you, this is a common issue with these VW picnic chairs. There is a design fault in the plastic joint shown in your photograph. It fails because this cheap plastic component has a hole through it to take the pivot pin. The hole provides the built in weakness. And before anyone starts banging on about the weight of the person using the chair just bear in mind that this part isn't load bearing. It merely joins the arm to the top of the front leg frame.

You can buy metal replacements for these joints but before going down that road do you have a Factory Extended Warranty? If you have one then VW will replace the whole chair. The FEW offers exactly the same benefits as the original three year warranty despite what the service manager might try telling you. Don't take "it's not covered sir" because it is. VW Customer Services have told me as much in writing.

I've had two go and I also think that they aren't fit for purpose in their factory form. I also don't find them at all comfortable. Accordingly, I don't use them.

The replacement metal joints were being made by DomiT6, a forum member You can contact him via his Email D.Baeurle@gmx.de Use the search function and type in "Folding chair broken" then take a look at post 34. He has posted some great photos.

He is a lovely chap and very helpful.
Thank you so much - I was beginning to think I was being unreasonable! Great response, thanks you very much for your help

one of mine broke in the exact same spot. swapped out under warranty at the time. as said there is a guy who makes the metal replacement parts. if you took it apart and took the piece to anyone with a lathe they should easily be able to make you some. easy repair that.
Thanks very much for responding

Both of mine went at same point - i am sure both due to stresses of placing on uneven ground - the first was replaced within warranty - second one not. I have carved a new piece to replace the weak plastic part and works well. I will order the aluminium parts mentioned above to keep as spares. I like them and obviously fit tidily in the door slot so would like to keep them going. Another thought, maybe they get brittle being in cold door during the winter - mine went after three years ?
I agree - I really like them and want to continue to use them if I can fix them

I don't know if there is a known fault.
Mine are both intact after more than 10 years use.
Only 1 seat had it's stitching torn. Had it restitched for €4. Doesn't look as good as I wanted it to look, but holds for now.

I find the original chairs a bit uncomfortable , as the bar across the two front legs is too far forward and quite cumbersome to sit down and pull me at the table or viceversa standing up.
I am also scared if they break as they cost a fortune. Scared that might be stolen if left outside when I'm away.
Last point they don't lock and one chair folded with my 5yr old daughter crashing on the ground.
So, after a bit of searching, I've replaced them with these that fit also in the tailgate, they are lighter, and if they get nicked they are cheap to replace:

I find the original chairs a bit uncomfortable , as the bar across the two front legs is too far forward and quite cumbersome to sit down and pull me at the table or viceversa standing up.
I am also scared if they break as they cost a fortune. Scared that might be stolen if left outside when I'm away.
Last point they don't lock and one chair folded with my 5yr old daughter crashing on the ground.
So, after a bit of searching, I've replaced them with these that fit also in the tailgate, they are lighter, and if they get nicked they are cheap to replace:
I can identify with your post. Last year whilst camping, my wife went to sit down on one of our VW picnic chairs where upon the wretched thing folded up causing her to do a perfect if not rather inelegant backward roll. It was very funny at the time although Mrs B didn't find it quite so funny as yours truly.

Last edited:
Calimilli,
Thanks for the heads, great bit of info, they look great and have good reviews online.
VW ones are certainly b----------- uncomfortable. As Borris says, the seat bar is too far forward and the rear bar is also extremely comfortable. Really could be described as not fit for purpose as a seat. Why do we have to put up with rubbish like this from VW? Don't they take notice of owners feadback?

What would we do without the forum info. Love my Cali, but VW ------------. SusiBus

Calimilli,
Thanks for the heads, great bit of info, they look great and have good reviews online.
VW ones are certainly b----------- uncomfortable. As Borris says, the seat bar is too far forward and the rear bar is also extremely comfortable. Really could be described as not fit for purpose as a seat. Why do we have to put up with rubbish like this from VW? Don't they take notice of owners feadback?

What would we do without the forum info. Love my Cali, but VW ------------. SusiBus
An amazing forum - really helpful!

Thank you so much for your help, this is great. Thanks for taking the time to help
Thank you very much again - metal replacement parts are paid for and on their way..........£40all in! I can happily accept to pay this, and fix them myself. There is clearly a need for them for some batches of chairs. So pleased not to be having to pay hundreds of pounds to replace the chairs. 1 x happy Cali owner again!

I broke one on each of my chairs, I read that there was a 'bad batch' about 2016 - which fits mine. I found a remedy with 22mm copper plumbing pipe which looks as though it will do the job (lockdown permitting). I replaced all four and found one of the 'good' ones was already cracked and about to break.

Despite what some people will tell you, this is a common issue with these VW picnic chairs. There is a design fault in the plastic joint shown in your photograph. It fails because this cheap plastic component has a hole through it to take the securing pin/rivet. The hole provides the built in weakness. And before anyone starts banging on about the weight of the person using the chair just bear in mind that this part isn't load bearing. It merely joins the arm to the top of the front leg frame.

You can buy metal replacements for these joints but before going down that road do you have a Factory Extended Warranty? If you have one then VW will replace the whole chair. The FEW offers exactly the same benefits as the original three year warranty despite what the service manager might try telling you. Don't take "it's not covered sir" because it is. VW Customer Services have told me as much in writing.

I've had two go and I also think that they aren't fit for purpose in their factory form. I also don't find them at all comfortable. Accordingly, I don't use them.

The replacement metal joints were being made by DomiT6, a forum member You can contact him via his Email D.Baeurle@gmx.de Use the search function and type in "Folding chair broken" then take a look at post 34. He has posted some great photos.

He is a lovely chap and very helpful.
Never had a problem with mine and they have had 8 years of abuse!

We have had two new ones in 4 years covered under warranty. Previous van chairs were no problem for 7 years. It’s the plastic that gives way. Have T6.1 got better design?

The exact same thing happened to one of my chairs at the beginning of last year. I think it occurred after closing the tailgate when the boot was overloaded. I think you’ll find that the arm joint is where the loaded chair in the tailgate would come into contact with any item which Is overloaded at the bottom of the boot. I was stunned at the price of a new chair. I ooked for parts unsuccessfully and eventually used a suitable piece of doweling threaded through both broken parts and glued. Replaced the rivet with a screw to hold the part stable. Still going strong after one year as it’s not a weight bearing joint.

Hi. I had the same problem and bought 4 fixtures from Domi. They are really robust and pretty easy to fit. I tried superglue but that didn't work. Send him an e amil to see if he is still making them. D.Baeurle@gmx.de.

Ours are still okay - I guess they are the original ones but I had to change the cloth last year.
3203dcbddaa8342320c7cb2914ea2acf.file

I def would ask your VW centre [mention]Mo! [/mention]and otherwise change to DomiT6 parts. Good luck!

I broke one on each of my chairs, I read that there was a 'bad batch' about 2016 - which fits mine. I found a remedy with 22mm copper plumbing pipe which looks as though it will do the job (lockdown permitting). I replaced all four and found one of the 'good' ones was already cracked and about to break.
Can you share the details of how you did it please.

Ours are still okay - I guess they are the original ones but I had to change the cloth last year.
3203dcbddaa8342320c7cb2914ea2acf.file

I def would ask your VW centre [mention]Mo! [/mention]and otherwise change to DomiT6 parts. Good luck!

@sapto, what are these domit6 parts you mention?

Ta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back