Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can a Cali Beach be registered as motorhome?

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi,

In few weeks I'll take delivery of my brand new California Beach in Spain, and I have to register it in UK.

One of the importation steps is to register it in DVLA. Can a California Beach be registered as motorhome?

Any advise about thr importation process will be welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance

I know the road tax is higher on the Beach as it is classed as car. This suited me as importing a motor home into NZ attracts 10% additional tax.

I have converted it to a 'motorhome' for self containment purpose by adding a pod with sink and cooker and having Porta Potti. I expect there is a DVLA description for a motor home which includes cooker, sink and toilet.

Be aware VW UK may treat it as a grey import and not give you the third year warranty. I believe the factory warranty is two years worldwide, the third year is from VW UK.

Extract from DVLA.
WHAT MAKES A 'MOTOR CARAVAN'?
For a vehicle to qualify as a 'Motor Caravan' in the UK in the eyes of the DVLA the following permanent fixtures must be present:

1. Sleeping Accommodation
    • There must be a bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms
    • The bed must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area
    • The bed must be permanent or converted from seats (the bed can fold away during the day)
    • The bed fixtures must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls, unless it is over the drivers cab compartment.
  2. Door
    • There must be a horizontal sliding door or an outward opening rear or side door.
  3. Seats and Tables
    • There must be a seating area for diners to sit around
    • The table can be fixed or detachable
    • The table must mount directly to the vehicle floor or side walls
    • The table mounting must be secured as a permanent feature, either bolted screwed or welded. The table itself can be detachable.
    • Seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls
    • The seats must be secured as a permanent fixture, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
    • Permanently secured seating must be available for use at a table
  4. Water Container
    Note: DVLA do not state any requirements regarding water storage. However, most insurance companies state that the water tank should be onboard, or under the chassis. However, some insurance companies are happy with an external water container that can be moved, such as those used with a caravan.
    • The vehicle must have an onboard or external (e,g, under the chassis) water container
    • Note: The insurer Adrian Flux requires the water container to hold 6 gallons / 27 litres.
  5. Storage
    • The vehicle must have at least one cupboard, locker or wardrobe
    • The cupboard must be an integral part of the living accommodation area
    • The cupboard must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
    • The cupboard must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side walls
  6. Cooking
    • The vehicle must have cooking facilities powered by fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven
    • The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
    • The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
    • Gas and electric hobs must have a minimum or 2 cooking rings. Microwave ovens must have a power source (don't just fit one that can't be used)
    • Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies must have the gas supply pipe permanently secured to the vehicle structure
    • Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies should have the gas bottle, fuel reservoir secured to the vehicle structure
  7. Outside
    • The vehicle must have at least one side window
    • New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. The details are yet unclear what is required. More information will appear here when available.

Do a kitchen pod cover points 4,5 and 6?

I've read a little about that, and looks like the Cali Beach usually is registered as "car", do "motohome" have some advantadge?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll register it as "car" them.

@Goldie: Yes, I knew I'll have not the 3th warranty year in UK, but I prefer a LHD Cali.

Back