Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can You Help Please?

S

simonwilletts

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Good evening,

I am looking to purchase a VW Camper again....I started out this way until they were too small for a growing family and went the motorhome route, and now family grown up my wife and I want to downsize. I understand the Cali is the way to go and although I have read all there is to know and even joined the club, my wife needs more convincing and I as have not seen one and indeed cannot show her, I am reluctant to proceed with a 75k investment without us seeing what you all see and understanding the difference between this and a conversion from Uk converter at circa 20k less

Anyone close by that can share the love?

So if there is anyone in Somerset, the closer to Taunton the better that has a 6 or 6.1 Ocean that they are naturally proud of and would be prepared to let my wife and I have a look inside, we would be greatful......Crazy as it sounds to me but perhaps not to you established fans, there is not a main dealer within 100 miles that has one in the showroom and perhaps further out although have not checked.

Best

Simon

Welcome Simon. Cali - a very good option, especially for just two people.

I am not anywhere near Taunton, but heading down to Looe, Friday evening and would be returning to Newbury up the M5, via Taunton Sunday afternoon-ish. If nothing else turns up by then, good to meet up at a services or any place near to the motorway and you can have a good look at the van.

Let me know.

My geography is awful but there are others on here further south than Hadrians Wall that may be able to help... @Borris @WelshGas @GrannyJen @SimonB
I may have tagged people not local, but maybe someone can help...

Simon,
Just a word of caution re the £20k difference on conversions. You’ll find these are manual gearboxes with low power engines. By the time I specified one it was getting close to California territory, especially with discounts that can be achieved from dealers and low rate finance if required.
I can’t offer to show you mine as it’s not yet built but our dealer in West London has one on display which sold it to us.
You could also check out used car web pages to see if any are for sale locally for you to view.
Best of luck hunting.
Simon

Sorry cant help with the viewing but to help with the figures and main question a little; £75k may be list price for a fully loaded Cali but decent discounts are available. £65k will get an amazing spec 4 motion Ocean. £20k less will only cover the cost of a reasonable spec base van; conversion on top. Just so you know, apples and pears and all that.....

I had the same issue downsizing from a moho after a serious accident, Mrs W lost the mojo for camping etc. I used the holiday videos of Cali owners on youTube to convince her. A young family of 5 in a VW getting by convinced her her a lot, plus some nice scenery and great locations. When we finally got to a dealer even I was amazed at how much day space there is for lounging. Just await the van now. Slowly slowly catch the monkey.

Having been to the VW factory (well, 2 factories) where they make the California in Germany, I am 100% convinced the genuine article is worth it.

It is the hidden attention to detail that you only get from a large manufacturer that we found very reassuring.

Two examples;

1) Crash protection / testing. The roof section above your head in a Cali is specifically designed to be part of the rigid structure of the vehicle, and there are strengthening bars which are hidden from view that go long ways down the large roof cut out where the pop up roof is. This means that if you hit someone or someone hits you hard in the rear, the van doesn't crumple up like a coke can. Have you seen the YouTube videos of pop top roofs being fitted on transporter-based conversions? Frightens me to death.

2) Warranty. VW offer 2 more years extra for just £349+VAT when you buy the van. This then means you get 5 full years of factory warranty, on *the whole van*. The vast majority of conversions put you in a position where you might be talking to VW for some things, the converter for others. And then what happens if you're in Europe? We liked the reassurance that even if we are away we can go to a VW dealer if needed.

3) Rear air conditioning. We have found this exceptionally useful as we didn't want our dog to bake in the back while we have nice air con in the front. It's great to be able to control it from the front too as we can make sure she is always comfortable. And then, back to the hidden attention to detail, the rear air-con actually uses a second air-con condenser, so it is just as powerful as the front. VW didn't have to do that, but they did so it works properly.

Just a few of our observations, there are many more! Happy Cali shopping :)

Surely you could hire one? As you say its a large investment. We bought a used one.

Having been to the VW factory (well, 2 factories) where they make the California in Germany, I am 100% convinced the genuine article is worth it.

It is the hidden attention to detail that you only get from a large manufacturer that we found very reassuring.

Two examples;

1) Crash protection / testing. The roof section above your head in a Cali is specifically designed to be part of the rigid structure of the vehicle, and there are strengthening bars which are hidden from view that go long ways down the large roof cut out where the pop up roof is. This means that if you hit someone or someone hits you hard in the rear, the van doesn't crumple up like a coke can. Have you seen the YouTube videos of pop top roofs being fitted on transporter-based conversions? Frightens me to death.

2) Warranty. VW offer 2 more years extra for just £349+VAT when you buy the van. This then means you get 5 full years of factory warranty, on *the whole van*. The vast majority of conversions put you in a position where you might be talking to VW for some things, the converter for others. And then what happens if you're in Europe? We liked the reassurance that even if we are away we can go to a VW dealer if needed.

3) Rear air conditioning. We have found this exceptionally useful as we didn't want our dog to bake in the back while we have nice air con in the front. It's great to be able to control it from the front too as we can make sure she is always comfortable. And then, back to the hidden attention to detail, the rear air-con actually uses a second air-con condenser, so it is just as powerful as the front. VW didn't have to do that, but they did so it works properly.

Just a few of our observations, there are many more! Happy Cali shopping :)

Agree.
A man in a shed in Warrington with a jigsaw, cutting holes left right and centre in the vehicle...
In the old days we called it a cut and shunt :rolleyes:

Storage units made from recycled ikea kitchen cabinets that open out into the living area, fixed seats, low standard vans the list is endless. Conversions look similar, but are very very different...

Surely you could hire one? As you say its a large investment. We bought a used one.

Absolutely.
You must go and hire one before taking the plunge. What works for Harry, may not work for George.

Hello Simon and welcome.

You've hit the 'nail on the head' when you say "I am reluctant to proceed with a 75k investment without us seeing what you all see". As you've had small vans in the past you must both have some idea but as others have already said, you need to try one before committing to that sort of outlay. It's an awful lot of hard earned if you don't "see" the attraction.

I wouldn't call a Cali an investment though. Yes they do hold their value like almost nothing else but they will depreciate over time. Slow depreciation does safe guard the bulk of your outlay though.

You will also need to show your wife exactly what you are talking about so make an appointment at a California dealership and take her to see one. Surely it's worth the 100+ miles drive to do your research properly? You never know her enthusiasm may increase once she's seen one.

Sorry, I can't help because firstly I live in Kent and secondly we have the Beach version and I suspect you are thinking of an Ocean or Coast.

Hello Simon from Taunton.

I was Jen from a small quantock village when I was looking to buy so know your difficulty. I ended up travelling to the South coast to see and buy one (ironically where I am living now!)....

It is worth the journey. Ironically I was at a converters, decided they were the best, when I first saw a Cali (it was parked just the other side of the yard) and from then on it was a no-brainer. Having a tour of a 102 HP manual FWD van when a 180 HP automatic 4WD van was just across the yard was the big no-no, plus a rather daft roof arrangement plus fixed furniture that meant it was a camper and nothing else and finally, the clincher, when I priced it up to the base vehicle spec of the van across the yard the "demo" I was having a tour of would have been less that £10k cheaper in price.

I'm a few miles from Taunton now but if you are down this way following in my long-ago footsteps then you are welcome to a passionate introduction to Alfie.

Hi Simon. My California is on order so I can't help you with a viewing but I went through the same process you are going through. Actually started out thinking I would get a new Transporter converted and visited the Autohaus factory which is not too far from you in Minehead. I chose Autohaus because they have crash test approval and are VW approved. They get decent discounts from VW on the base van which they will pass on to the customer. A decent spec on a 102 Transporter conversion worked out at about £63k. I then hired, back to back, a T6 conversion and a T6.1 California. The difference was, to me, light and day. So I checked out buying a Cali and found that with discounts I could get a very high spec Ocean for, guess what, £63k. I used Auto eBid to find out 10% discount off list was achievable and then used that as a starting point with my local dealer who pretty much matched it. Drive the Deal also show around 10% discount on 150 Californias. You can maybe a bit more off for a 199/204/4motion. Advantages of the Cali over a conversion others have commented on, but I personally was just convinced by the design quality and finish compared to the conversions I have seen. Plus you get a more powerful engine, DSG, electric roof etc. Unless you really want something very bespoke I think it is unlikely you will match the quality of a California for the price. Then you factor in lower depreciation and it becomes a no brainer. Well it did for me. I really recommend hiring a T6.1 and taking it away for a weekend. Its such. big purchase you need to be confident about it. Southampton Campers were brilliant and the owner Darryl is a big Cali enthusiast and really helped me by answering lots of questions and ultimately my decision to buy. Hope this helps - and good luck!

Simon,
Just a word of caution re the £20k difference on conversions. You’ll find these are manual gearboxes with low power engines. By the time I specified one it was getting close to California territory, especially with discounts that can be achieved from dealers and low rate finance if required.
I can’t offer to show you mine as it’s not yet built but our dealer in West London has one on display which sold it to us.
You could also check out used car web pages to see if any are for sale locally for you to view.
Best of luck hunting.
Simon

I have to reiterate the above.

I started out wanting a campervan conversion because they were cheaper and didnt have the budget for a new California. My initial budget was £50k.We hired a conversion to try it and loved it to pieces. Hired a Cali and bought a Cali!. It was a night and day difference. The extra £15k was suddenly found and we have been a very happy camper(van) ever since. Well ever since March this year when we actually owned one...so havent actually managed to do that much camping but we still very happy with it! :p

PS Im stuck in Nottinghamshire so possibly alittle bit out of reach for you. :p

I don’t disagree with any of the comments above except that there are plenty of reputable campervan conversion companies - not all are ‘cut and shut’ jobs. @Wildcamper @4x4 joker have two non-California campervans that they seem to be super happy with. However, I believe they were looking for something rather specific. In my opinion, if you would go for a standard campervan layout (that the California Coast and Ocean has) you would do well to go with a California. If your need is very specific; you want to carry multiple dogs or sports equipment that you don’t feel would work well with the Ocean or Coast, and you don’t need AWD, the Beach can be a really flexible option. Otherwise, you will be left seeking a reputable conversion company to build you exactly what you need. Do ask more questions as you go down the line of making a decision and Good luck!

Welcome Simon. Cali - a very good option, especially for just two people.

I am not anywhere near Taunton, but heading down to Looe, Friday evening and would be returning to Newbury up the M5, via Taunton Sunday afternoon-ish. If nothing else turns up by then, good to meet up at a services or any place near to the motorway and you can have a good look at the van.

Let me know.
Hi Kurienp
Thankyou for your offer to show us your Cali on the way home from Looe in Cornwall.
I have had some kind and useful feedback and help and would like to take you up on your offer.

This is the service station between Junction 25 at Wellington and Junction 26 Taunton on M5 https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Taunton_Deane

Please let me know your ETA when you leave Cornwall on Sunday and have a good weekend and safe journey.

Best

Simon

Hi Simon. My California is on order so I can't help you with a viewing but I went through the same process you are going through. Actually started out thinking I would get a new Transporter converted and visited the Autohaus factory which is not too far from you in Minehead. I chose Autohaus because they have crash test approval and are VW approved. They get decent discounts from VW on the base van which they will pass on to the customer. A decent spec on a 102 Transporter conversion worked out at about £63k. I then hired, back to back, a T6 conversion and a T6.1 California. The difference was, to me, light and day. So I checked out buying a Cali and found that with discounts I could get a very high spec Ocean for, guess what, £63k. I used Auto eBid to find out 10% discount off list was achievable and then used that as a starting point with my local dealer who pretty much matched it. Drive the Deal also show around 10% discount on 150 Californias. You can maybe a bit more off for a 199/204/4motion. Advantages of the Cali over a conversion others have commented on, but I personally was just convinced by the design quality and finish compared to the conversions I have seen. Plus you get a more powerful engine, DSG, electric roof etc. Unless you really want something very bespoke I think it is unlikely you will match the quality of a California for the price. Then you factor in lower depreciation and it becomes a no brainer. Well it did for me. I really recommend hiring a T6.1 and taking it away for a weekend. Its such. big purchase you need to be confident about it. Southampton Campers were brilliant and the owner Darryl is a big Cali enthusiast and really helped me by answering lots of questions and ultimately my decision to buy. Hope this helps - and good luck!
Hi Graham,

Interesting reply as Autohaus are the company I have been wrestling the difference with in my mind.

They batt off the differences between theirs and the Cali and are confincing as I guess you would expect....saying the the extra cost of the 199/ 205 is not noticeable over the 150 but can get if I want....they suggest remapping the 150 would be similar....They say similar aboout the 4 wheel drive is not needed for most driving, the digital dash is an expensive for what you get and the electric roof is alot to go wrong, siting the canvas getting caught in mechanism potential hazard??...they also say the roof sprung bed has a weight limit of 12 stone...or used to??.....Then they mention the personal spec and the full leather....well you have been down...they certainly did a job on me!!.........

However as I have not seen the Cali, and salesmen at VW, most of which have never owned a campervan let alone taken a family away for two weeks in one, are not always as knowledgable as they seem in the world of camping.......

Interesting that you have beeen on a similar journey to me through Autohaus and took the Cali route.

I would be interested more in hearing what sold you on the Cali's one fit out suits all option all over the bespoke fit out of camper options including leather seats of Autohaus which are one of the better retro convertors with all the saftey certs etc.......There is only so much you can build into and do in this space.......Are you saying that it is luxury and refinement over personalised and bespoke......or are you saying that most of what you would bespoke the cali gives you anyway plus the refinement and from the discount that you were able to get, price comparrison too?......I would certainly travel to Southhampton for a 10% discount....perhaps you can introduce me. Please tell me more about discounts of 10% Off the Ocean as my current experience phoning around dealers is that they make you feel greatful that you can get to speak with them let alone buy a Cali without potentially charging you a finders fee......."Asking for a discount....You'll be lucky to get one before July" is the comments I anticipate.

I am taking up the kind offer of Cali Member Kurienp to veiw Cali on Sunday but still welcome more comments on those that have gone through similar on making a choice between a Cali and a respected converter......Interesting That the company that does the VW conversions also convert panal vans like Autohaus in the UK, and have been doing so sinse I learnt to surf which was some years ago, but they dont seem in same league when it comes to component quality on their own conversions.

comments very welcome

Best

Simon

In terms of discounts, drivethedeal.co.uk are able to supply the Cali, and I believe the tend to use Eurovans in Crawley and discount is currently 10.5%. Drive the deal is perfectly safe/normal, i've used it 4 or 5 times now for cars, many others on here use it either to buy or get a price then use it with the local dealers. You will be the first owner, and after the initial introduction from them you only deal with the supplying dealer. They can do all the normal finance etc etc.

Just on these points:
They batt off the differences between theirs and the Cali and are confincing as I guess you would expect....saying the the extra cost of the 199/ 205 is not noticeable over the 150 but can get if I want....they suggest remapping the 150 would be similar....They say similar aboout the 4 wheel drive is not needed for most driving, the digital dash is an expensive for what you get and the electric roof is alot to go wrong, siting the canvas getting caught in mechanism potential hazard??...they also say the roof sprung bed has a weight limit of 12 stone...or used to??.....Then they mention the personal spec and the full leather....well you have been down...they certainly did a job on me!!.........

If you remap a 150 then that is the VW warranty gone

4wd, there is a lot of weight in either a cali or a conversion, so depending on how you drive it / what your expectations are, traction can be an issue in the wet when trying to grab spaces in busy traffic

Electric roof - it's nice to have, not essential, but in terms of the canvas getting trapped, care just needs to be taken, that's all

Upstairs bed on T6.1 is different to T6 (which had wooden slats). I know the T6 weight limit is 150kg, not sure what it is on the T6.1 but I'd put money on it not being any less as the spring design is totally different and less fragile.

Full leather - this is a personal choice obviously but would you really want that in a camper? Cold in the mornings, too hot and sweaty in the summer? We find the leather/alcantara type ArtVelours seats in our T6 were a perfect compromise. VERY easy to keep clean with a water wipe/baby wipe only and warm, comfortable etc.

Just a few observations :)

"they also say the roof sprung bed has a weight limit of 12 stone" upper bed capacity is 150kg which equals 23.5 stone, you have just got to love salesman. :D

"they also say the roof sprung bed has a weight limit of 12 stone" upper bed capacity is 150kg which equals 23.5 stone, you have just got to love salesman. :D

Agree.
I wonder how many of their converted vans have gone through the crash testing procedure...

You gotta laugh.
“The 150 is adequate, but we can remap it”
Well if it’s adequate, why is their a need to remap...???

Salesman...

Agree.
I wonder how many of their converted vans have gone through the crash testing procedure...

You gotta laugh.
“The 150 is adequate, but we can remap it”
Well if it’s adequate, why is their a need to remap...???

Salesman...
Doesn't remapping invalidate warranty? Good luck with your viewing Simon.

Hi Kurienp
Thankyou for your offer to show us your Cali on the way home from Looe in Cornwall.
I have had some kind and useful feedback and help and would like to take you up on your offer.

This is the service station between Junction 25 at Wellington and Junction 26 Taunton on M5 https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Taunton_Deane

Please let me know your ETA when you leave Cornwall on Sunday and have a good weekend and safe journey.

Best

Simon

Sure Simon. If you message me your mobile, will coordinate.

PS: cannot PM you as your profile is fairly new.

Last edited:
Doesn't remapping invalidate warranty? Good luck with your viewing Simon.

It would, however a remap from a reputable dealer shouldn’t cause too many issues.
I would remap if I needed one.
Thankfully I bought the 204bhp ;)

Back