Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can You Help Please?

Doesn't remapping invalidate warranty? Good luck with your viewing Simon.

Yes it does and its something VW are well aware of being done often to their vehicles and WILL use to get out of an engine/gearbox/drivetrain claim.

In terms of discounts, drivethedeal.co.uk are able to supply the Cali, and I believe the tend to use Eurovans in Crawley and discount is currently 10.5%. Drive the deal is perfectly safe/normal, i've used it 4 or 5 times now for cars, many others on here use it either to buy or get a price then use it with the local dealers. You will be the first owner, and after the initial introduction from them you only deal with the supplying dealer. They can do all the normal finance etc etc.

Just on these points:

If you remap a 150 then that is the VW warranty gone

4wd, there is a lot of weight in either a cali or a conversion, so depending on how you drive it / what your expectations are, traction can be an issue in the wet when trying to grab spaces in busy traffic

Electric roof - it's nice to have, not essential, but in terms of the canvas getting trapped, care just needs to be taken, that's all

Upstairs bed on T6.1 is different to T6 (which had wooden slats). I know the T6 weight limit is 150kg, not sure what it is on the T6.1 but I'd put money on it not being any less as the spring design is totally different and less fragile.

Full leather - this is a personal choice obviously but would you really want that in a camper? Cold in the mornings, too hot and sweaty in the summer? We find the leather/alcantara type ArtVelours seats in our T6 were a perfect compromise. VERY easy to keep clean with a water wipe/baby wipe only and warm, comfortable etc.

Just a few observations :)
Thank you

Very helpful feedback....thanks for taking the time

Thank you

Very helpful feedback....thanks for taking the time
Hi Itguy......do they give discount on the extras or just the basic spec (which I know is not so basic but thought I would ask before I bully my local VW dealer)

Hi everyone in Cali land……Can you help me understand what these extras are and opinions, please . Probably been asked before but I am sure would be helpful to others in this string if another confused newbie picks it up :)

Sorry for all the questions but thought I would set a little Cali test for the weekend while you are away in your vans if it rains…..feel free to jump in an answer as many as you can…..and of course personal opinions very welcome.

. 1 swivel seat w/ longitudinal adjustment on rail system?…….The two front seats both swivel as standard…Correct? Not sure what this is?

. navigation system "Discover Media Pro" including "Streaming & Internet”…….Pro?

. Sport Styling Package…….( I wanted to get Abt body kit as a dealer extra….are this the same ?)

Although in my fifties am still keen to relive my surfing youth and pimp the styling…..thoughts, advice and pictures very welcome)

. Looking for black wheels……stick with the extra list or go dealer option?……Would you recommend 20” or stick with a max of 18? spring suspension ajustment height….Thoughts?

. Driving profile selection "Drive Select" and Dynamic Chassis Control DCC with dynamic chassis??

. Fuel tank with a volume of 80 l……worth getting…not sure what the standard is…..I guess all the heating runs off the deal tank?

. Power sliding door on the right in load/passenger compartment?

. Wooden floor with plastic lining…….needed? what is standard…..what colour is this wood?

. Is there an option on interior colours?

. Uprated starter battery (92Ah, AGM) and increased alternator capacity ??

. Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat? I am 5’ 10!!

. Inlays - Bright Brushed Grey

. does anyone know if ABT or VW styling kit can be added at the rear if I want a detachable toe hitch and a bike rack?

. Also does the rear door automated mechanism need an upgrade to take a fully loaded 4 bike rack?

Thank you in advance and anticpation of your feedback

...... have a great weekend

Simon x

Hi everyone in Cali land……Can you help me understand what these extras are and opinions, please . Probably been asked before but I am sure would be helpful to others in this string if another confused newbie picks it up :)

Sorry for all the questions but thought I would set a little Cali test for the weekend while you are away in your vans if it rains…..feel free to jump in an answer as many as you can…..and of course personal opinions very welcome.

. 1 swivel seat w/ longitudinal adjustment on rail system?…….The two front seats both swivel as standard…Correct? Not sure what this is?

Correct, both seats swivel

. navigation system "Discover Media Pro" including "Streaming & Internet”…….Pro?

Pro is bigger screen without any physical knobs all touch screen

. Sport Styling Package…….( I wanted to get Abt body kit as a dealer extra….are this the same ?)

Abt is different. This kit just adds black bits externally and black 18” wheels

Although in my fifties am still keen to relive my surfing youth and pimp the styling…..thoughts, advice and pictures very welcome)

. Looking for black wheels……stick with the extra list or go dealer option?……Would you recommend 20” or stick with a max of 18? spring suspension ajustment height….Thoughts?

Can’t help here

. Driving profile selection "Drive Select" and Dynamic Chassis Control DCC with dynamic chassis??

Adaptive suspension option, so you can select comfort, sport etc. Changes how hard the ride is.

. Fuel tank with a volume of 80 l……worth getting…not sure what the standard is…..I guess all the heating runs off the deal tank?

Correct it does. We like the 80L tank, less filling up.

Don’t get it - it beeps when it closes and will annoy anyone else on a campsite. It does operate via the key and by a button inside. Automatically opens the door.

. Wooden floor with plastic lining…….needed? what is standard…..what colour is this wood?

Easier to sweep out. Standard floor is a pain as very textured.

No, only material choice between cloth and leather/alcantara

No idea

. Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat? I am 5’ 10!!

Comfort mat is the bit that folds out downstairs. Most people buy it.

. Inlays - Bright Brushed Grey

Interior trim option

. does anyone know if ABT or VW styling kit can be added at the rear if I want a detachable toe hitch and a bike rack?

Don’t know

. Also does the rear door automated mechanism need an upgrade to take a fully loaded 4 bike rack?
No, the Cali has the updated ones anyway

Thank you in advance and anticpation of your feedback

...... have a great weekend

Simon x

answered in line above

navigation system "Discover Media Pro" including "Streaming & Internet - larger screen with no physical buttons, not sure what the actual difference is over standard but looks swish.

Fuel tank with a volume of 80 l……worth getting? - the night heater does indeed use the main tank so well worth the upsize from 70L to 80L

Power sliding door on the right in load/passenger compartment? - Electric open/close of large side door

Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat? I am 5’ 10!! - extra padded mat to rest on top of the lower bed, it dosen't mean longer!

Can't really help on the rest but if you spec a build on the vW Configuator page then check the summery you can see the effect of some of these options

answered in line above
Thank again Itguy

What is the general consensus on 4 wheel drive.....I used to get stuck in sand and wet mud on campsites when I had a big six wheeler mototohome but never thought I would need a 4 wheel option on a smaller lighter van......is there anyone out there that did not go for and wish they had invested a few more grand.
I guess it is front wheel drive and not so good on ice/snow.... if we get in the UK.....the guy at Autohause suggested if he was choosing for his conversion he would not....just get different tires?.....Thoughts?

Every salesman tells me that the Cali holds a strong risidual, infact every car salesmen about every vehichle I have perchased :) Seeing how difficult it is to see one at a dealers I guess this feels more likly with the Cali

However what additional extras would buyers be looking for when purchasing second hand(crystal ball stuff I know) and what ones will never give a good return like perhaps the sexed up Nav

best

Simon

Thank again Itguy

What is the general consensus on 4 wheel drive.....I used to get stuck in sand and wet mud on campsites when I had a big six wheeler mototohome but never thought I would need a 4 wheel option on a smaller lighter van......is there anyone out there that did not go for and wish they had invested a few more grand.
I guess it is front wheel drive and not so good on ice/snow.... if we get in the UK.....the guy at Autohause suggested if he was choosing for his conversion he would not....just get different tires?.....Thoughts?
Everyone has there own thoughts on 4 wheel drive and very few would admit they wished they had gone for the 4Motion. Tyres are the important factor on both drive trains.
The Transporter 4 Motion starts with the drive 40% front 60% rear and then variable depending on traction.
I believe its a better driving experience, others will disagree.
As far as wheels, 18" or larger No Spare of the same size. You could fit a steel 17" as a space saver. But you will limit yourself on tyre choices.

Thank again Itguy

We didn't buy 4motion on our T6 204 DSG and wish we did. We had all weather tyres and still felt that it struggled for grip in the wet, even when driving normally in busy traffic. Pulling onto a roundabout where a lot of weight is in the rear and traffic is busy (meaning small gaps) takes a very skilled right foot as the DSG can be a bit grabby if hurried. This results in spinning wheels and going nowhere. 4motion, no problem. Our new T6.1 we have on order is 4motion.

Every salesman tells me that the Cali holds a strong risidual, infact every car salesmen about every vehichle I have perchased :) Seeing how difficult it is to see one at a dealers I guess this feels more likly with the Cali

However what additional extras would buyers be looking for when purchasing second hand(crystal ball stuff I know) and what ones will never give a good return like perhaps the sexed up Nav

best

Simon

This used to be much more tricky to answer because when the T6 was the current model the Ocean was pretty poorly specced. Now the Ocean is FAR more spec than it had before, there isn't a lot more to add.

From what I've seen over the years, wheels, colour etc don't tend to make any real difference.

The ArtVelours interior does seem to. Towbar is always v v handy, even if not towing it gives options for bike racks etc.

Apart from that I'd argue there isn't much residual value in any other options. Just desirability. Two tone paint possibly, but not by much. Larger satnav, certainly not.

When the T6 was current you didn't even get parking sensors, let alone things like LED headlights, satnav, adaptive cruise etc etc!

To reply to some of the questions on options:

As stated, bigger screen and more features, most of which are not essential. It also offers more options on the VW app on your phone, but there are reports that the advertised benefits are not actually available at present. The situation is not very clear. If you like to use Android Auto or Apple car play, they'd do all you need.

Similar to the ABT kit. Standard van on the left, Sports styling kit on my van on the right |(T6, not 6.1)...

1602855571993.png

Offers a 'Comfort / Standard / Sports' option to the suspension, controlled by a button on the dash. It came with my van and I do use it more than I'd thought. You can definitely tell the difference between the three modes, but it was something like a £1,900 option on the T6 and I wouldn't spend that much money on having it again.

Worth it. Gives you 14% larger range between fill ups (std tank is 70L).

Open / Close the side door at a touch of a button. Only thing is that it beeps, so might be a concern if you need a loo break in the middle of the night (I have reached that age!!)

Down to personal choice. Standard is gray plastic. If you plan on getting carpet set for the rear, then you won't see it anyway.

I don't think so. The colour differs between a Coast and an Ocean though.

I think this is mainly for colder climates, but not 100% sure on this.

I'd check. I have the VW styling kit with the detachable tow hitch (T6). Works fine.

The standard automated mechanism is just the final closing part (so when the door is almost shut), not a fully open/close thing like you might get on many modern cars. The struts get upgraded for the bike rack. I do a lot of cycling and sold my bike rack and bought a tow-bar mounted rack instead. To each their own, but I found the lower rack better to use regularly. If you only expect occasional use, then the VW bike rack is a good choice.

Hope this helps. I'm too far away, being in Hertfordshire, but happy to give a brief tour of the van via FaceTime (or similar) if you want to see the body kit a bit better.

Additional images of the body kit. Note this also has the chrome kit as well, which is the chrome strip running around the front and the lower parts of the doors.

1602857771962.png

Additional images of the body kit. Note this also has the chrome kit as well, which is the chrome strip running around the front and the lower parts of the doors.

View attachment 67901
Thank you.......Does the cali come with a roof rail on the side to attach a drive away canvas awning as I dont see it as an option?

@simonwilletts , planning to leave from Looe around 11 am or thereabouts . So Taunton Deane around 1 in the afternoon. Hope that works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@simonwilletts , planning to leave from Looe around 11 am or thereabouts . So Taunton Deane around 1 in the afternoon. Hope that works. My mobile zero seven nine six three four zero two two five two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you for meeting my wife and I and offording us of the opportunity to see your California and benifit from your experience and insight. I will be sure to let you know what we decide.

Thank you for meeting my wife and I and offording us of the opportunity to see your California and benifit from your experience and insight. I will be sure to let you know what we decide.

Good to meet you as well Simon. Yeah, lots to think about. Take care and good luck with your decision. it is always a tough one. :thumb

Good evening,

I am looking to purchase a VW Camper again....I started out this way until they were too small for a growing family and went the motorhome route, and now family grown up my wife and I want to downsize. I understand the Cali is the way to go and although I have read all there is to know and even joined the club, my wife needs more convincing and I as have not seen one and indeed cannot show her, I am reluctant to proceed with a 75k investment without us seeing what you all see and understanding the difference between this and a conversion from Uk converter at circa 20k less

Anyone close by that can share the love?

So if there is anyone in Somerset, the closer to Taunton the better that has a 6 or 6.1 Ocean that they are naturally proud of and would be prepared to let my wife and I have a look inside, we would be greatful......Crazy as it sounds to me but perhaps not to you established fans, there is not a main dealer within 100 miles that has one in the showroom and perhaps further out although have not checked.

Best

Simon

Good Evening Simon from another Simon. @AlisonF tagged me as I live relatively close to you. I live in the centre of Bristol and have a 3 year old T6. It is our second one, the first was a T5 and a bit more basic but after 2 years we were totally hooked and decided to change to one with all the features that we wanted.
It seems that you have had a good look over a Cali, but if you do want to look further you are welcome to look over ours.
I would suggest that you join as a VIP member which means you can send and receive private messages with other members, so contact details can be exchanged securely and you get access to more features of the Forum. Downloads of useful buyers check lists, discounts off California products, etc.
The full list is here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/pages/membership/ As others have advised, you should hire a California before you buy to make sure you like them and can exist in a fairly compact space.
You do have a very useful Forum member near you who sells and fits Solar Panels for the Cali which means you can easily camp off grid.
Good luck with your quest and don't be rushed into making a decision.
Kind regards
SimonB

Good evening,

I am looking to purchase a VW Camper again....I started out this way until they were too small for a growing family and went the motorhome route, and now family grown up my wife and I want to downsize. I understand the Cali is the way to go and although I have read all there is to know and even joined the club, my wife needs more convincing and I as have not seen one and indeed cannot show her, I am reluctant to proceed with a 75k investment without us seeing what you all see and understanding the difference between this and a conversion from Uk converter at circa 20k less

Anyone close by that can share the love?

So if there is anyone in Somerset, the closer to Taunton the better that has a 6 or 6.1 Ocean that they are naturally proud of and would be prepared to let my wife and I have a look inside, we would be greatful......Crazy as it sounds to me but perhaps not to you established fans, there is not a main dealer within 100 miles that has one in the showroom and perhaps further out although have not checked.

Best

Simon
Hi Simon,
I see you have a number of replies and probably have been able to make a decision. We started out with a conversion of our T5 which we owned for 5 years before we had her factory converted.After three years with no problems and many enjoyable memories we decided to go for a new higher spec vehicle. So we got to researching and visiting a few shows early 2019
Our findings where that when we specced up what we wanted the price difference was marginal, we made our decision based on the fact that a VW factory produced specific vehicle would instill greater confidence.
Why not hire one for a few days to see how you cope with the reduced space ?
Good luck

Back