Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can you stopover at euro tunnel?

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Pondering a late drive to the euro tunnel staying over and getting an early crossing the following morning.

Anyone now if you can stay at the euro tunnel car park or if we would need to stay elsewhere locally?

Looks as though there is a CCC close by that we can use, but looks as though we would need to arrive at a reasonable time in order to book in rather than arriving much later.

I can't see anything in the euro tunnel website so would need to contact them

As far as I can remember it is two hours maximum prior to departure , if you arrive earlier than this you are not normally allowed in the terminal, I have also read somewhere you can possibly arrive earlier but there is a £30 fine/supplement.

Quite a few motorhomes use Marine Parade in Dover seafront to camp overnight but can be busy in peak season.

There are services in Folkestone on the M20

Its the Welcome Break M20 Euro Tunnel Services - Unsure of the cost of parking though

The camping and Caravan site in Folkestone werent particularly helpful, wanting us to arrive early evening (lates!), plus they dont open the gates till 7am (which wasnt a prtaicular problem), plus then stated they wouldnt take a 1 night booking unless we'd booked the ferry crossing through the camping club!!!

I gave up and booked a Eurotunnel crossing mid afternoon and a (very accommodating) french campsite about 2 hours from Calais.

There are quite a few sites within spitting distance of the tunnel that I know people have used it just depends on how far out you class as not close ??

You may consider another option which works for me.
By booking a bit ahead with My Ferry Link, £19.00 gets you across on their late evening crossings. Once you arrive at Calais you drive out of the terminal and then straight back in to park up, free, overnight. Free 20 mins of WiFi is usefull and the free showers in the terminal building are first class. Set off in the morning at a time that suits you.
This also is a handy way of returning to the UK for the low cost option. Book the really early morning crossing with MFL for £19.00 at 05.40. Arrive at the port the previous evening, hot shower, WiFi and set the alarm for an early start.....

CaliG said:
You may consider another option which works for me.
By booking a bit ahead with My Ferry Link, £19.00 gets you across on their late evening crossings. Once you arrive at Calais you drive out of the terminal and then straight back in to park up, free, overnight. Free 20 mins of WiFi is usefull and the free showers in the terminal building are first class. Set off in the morning at a time that suits you.
This also is a handy way of returning to the UK for the low cost option. Book the really early morning crossing with MFL for £19.00 at 05.40. Arrive at the port the previous evening, hot shower, WiFi and set the alarm for an early start.....

That's great, ill try that next trip :clap

You can also stop over in the Dunkirque terminal. Out to the roundabout, turn left and park up in the ticket office car park. Toilets open all night, didn't try the showers. Was quiet enough. Plenty of motorhomes and a few caravans there too when we stopped there in June.

DFDS not quite as cheap as My Ferry though!

dan

If you get the late ferry set out on the calais / boulogne road and less than 30minutes later you will find an aire (I think it is called deux caps). Great facilites. Free. and you get a great view of the white cliffs of Dover in the morning.....

We called at the Stop 24 services at Folkestone but the only thing happening in the late hours was a KFC with no chicken left and a few noisy boy racers playing with their exhausts.
We powdered our noses & then caught the 1.23 am train and stopped in the Carrefour supermarket car park on Boulevard du Kent, 62231 - (50.932658,1.811389).
Crept in at 3am local to find about 20 motorhomes already there.
No wc or services open, but the shopping centre opened at 9am once we had got some kip. Filled up with essentials & diesel then on our way.

Thought I'd add to this thread rather than start a similar one.....
We're heading up to the tunnel next friday evening after work, the plan this time is to overnight this side and take an early train over saturday morning.
I've read through this thread but the responses seem to refere to ferries and terminals rather than the tunnel.
I was thinking about Premier Inn at Ashford (as Folkestone had no vacancies when i looked last week), but was wondering if there were any campsite/stopovers near there that cater for late arrivals, we only want to get our heads down for a few hours preferably somewhere with useable facilities.
Don't fancy stopping at motorway services. Why don't we have aires in the uk?????

Holiday Inn Express, 5 mins from Eurotunnel. Includes take out Continental Breakfast for early departure.

Usual, dribbling, repeating myself, chuntering on granny type load of rubbish post...

Don't fancy stopping at motorway services. Why don't we have aires in the uk?????

We do.

Canterbury.

20 places, although the Cali getting below a height barrier has 440 available...

all night toilets

Easy access to A2 then folkestone / Chunnel link

Holiday Inn Express, 5 mins from Eurotunnel. Includes take out Continental Breakfast for early departure.
They're full won't even let me go to booking page! Currently planning on premier Inn ashford

Sent from my Galaxy S6

We do.

Canterbury.

20 places, although the Cali getting below a height barrier has 440 available...

all night toilets

Easy access to A2 then folkestone / Chunnel link
Perhaps we'll get a few more in time.
Canterbury is going the wrong way for us unfortunately coming from Devon but is tempting nevertheless

Sent from my Galaxy S6

not too much the wrong way.

Instead of going M20 come off at A249 and link to M2. The Aire is just of the A2.

If operation stack is in place then you will want to go that way anyway (Said from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th hands experience)...

OK will have another look cheers GJ

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I quite like the 'Little Switzerland' campsite in Folkestone I've used before. Not sure on their late arrival policy though. It's easily found on Google.

About 10 minute drive to the Eurotunnel terminal from there.

not too much the wrong way.

Instead of going M20 come off at A249 and link to M2. The Aire is just of the A2.

If operation stack is in place then you will want to go that way anyway (Said from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th hands experience)...
Just looked on their website and entry barriers are locked at 2030 so no good for us unfortunately as we won't be there till about 2200 :(

I quite like the 'Little Switzerland' campsite in Folkestone I've used before. Not sure on their late arrival policy though. It's easily found on Google.

About 10 minute drive to the Eurotunnel terminal from there.

Cheers for the info - I've just emailed them to check if they have a late arrivals area.

oh what a shame ..

Have you got the Britstops guide? A couple of pubs not far away.

O

oh what a shame ..

Have you got the Britstops guide? A couple of pubs not far away.

O

No I haven't, depending on reply from little switzerland I'll probably go there or more likely, give in and go premier inn.

We have used the Little Satmar campsite several times when we were a late arrival coming to Dover. 10 min drive from the ferry, so like long to the Eurotunnel terminal, one would gather.

We would pre-book by phone, and when we arrived there late, the warden had put up a sign with our plot no for us. So, if one can arrive late there from across the channel, why not from within the UK? :)
Perhaps another alternative for you.