Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Captains log

Me ...jealous....!
Nice clouded sky in the backgroud!

Nice van Sidepod.

Last edited:
We keep a book of each trip including details of the campsite and facilities etc. Also a running total of "sleeps"

At the end of our first year (30th June) we did 40 sleeps.

We feel we have really used the van to the full with lots of one night impromptu trips.

Let's see if we beat that total over the next year...

One thing is for sure that it's the best thing we could have bought as a family getting us away together having lots of fun

IMG_8383.JPG

Collected our cali on the 21st January 2017.... Last night we camped (wild) at the Kilmakilloge Viewpoint, on the Wild Atlantic Way.... Tonight we'll stop somewhere else in County Kerry, before retuning home on Monday. Tonight will be the 50th night we've slept out in our van since we got it.

Any excuse, and we're away in it! Long may that continue.....

Collected our cali on the 21st January 2017.... Last night we camped (wild) at the Kilmakilloge Viewpoint, on the Wild Atlantic Way.... Tonight we'll stop somewhere else in County Kerry, before retuning home on Monday. Tonight will be the 50th night we've slept out in our van since we got it.

Any excuse, and we're away in it! Long may that continue.....
22 nights in the Cali on a 27 night trip - so far. Plus 9 'test' nights makes 31 nights since 1 March. And there are 4 of us, 5 on one three night trip, so that makes 127 person nights + 62 dog nights.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

Now a point of order.

A "trip" is a destination regardless of number of nights slept by people/dogs/cats/mice etc.

So a five week trip to Scotland or wherever is classed as one trip not 35 person nights.

:Grin

22 nights in the Cali on a 27 night trip - so far. Plus 9 'test' nights makes 31 nights since 1 March. And there are 4 of us, 5 on one three night trip, so that makes 127 person nights + 62 dog nights.

Ahh..... I see what you've done there. As Mark Twain put it.... Lies, damned lies and statistics.... HeHe! :cheers

Last edited:
Pah, easy just back from trip 22 since Jan 17.

We are away almost 3 weekends in 4. Although sometimes I can get 4 of 4.

Garden is suffering though!

.. message ends..

I could go and sleep in the Cali while in the garage each night from now on....
My other half told me sevral times to do so .....i snore you know...?
:D
Nobody could beat that!

I see nothing wrong with the Captain's Log recoding:
1. Trips
2. Nights aboard
3. People nights aboard
4. Mileage
5. Fuel used
All are valid measures of use.

While the builders were destroying my house I lived in the Cali for six months while my wife stayed with the outlaws (apart from wekeends in the van)

We have Velmaslog, a little book that lives in the glove box. We write down all kinds of stuff there but not fuel used, which Velma says isn't something a lady would want to have recorded.

Off to Exmoor for a few days tomorrow. Anyone stayed at any of the campsites there recently?

From the few that have replied it seems we are not the only ones that have a little booklet with information in.
So what sort of information do you all log?

We have things like places to eat, e.g. a good cooked breakfast if we fancy one, the locally recommended chippy, best pie shops.

So what do the rest of you log ?

..message ends..

We have Velmaslog, a little book that lives in the glove box. We write down all kinds of stuff there but not fuel used, which Velma says isn't something a lady would want to have recorded.

Off to Exmoor for a few days tomorrow. Anyone stayed at any of the campsites there recently?
Poole bridge camping just above Porlock is v nice.
Cloud Farm near Brendon.
Caffyns Farm is good.

Poole bridge camping just above Porlock is v nice.
Cloud Farm near Brendon.
Caffyns Farm is good.
We are logging all costs:
1. Motoring costs, ferries, tolls, fuel, etc (excluding insurance, VED and depreciation)
2. Accommodation costs, campsite or chalets
3. Food subdivided into supermarket and eating out
4. Excursions

I hope to produce a nice little pie chart for each country at some point.

We have a little yellow notebook called 'The Hamster Chronicles'. I'm not too anal about writing everything down, but I just write a little log of when and where we've been, who we met and what we did so we can look back when we're old and grey and remember our happy times in The Hamster.

Now a point of order.

A "trip" is a destination regardless of number of nights slept by people/dogs/cats/mice etc.

So a five week trip to Scotland or wherever is classed as one trip not 35 person nights.

:Grin
Well in that case I did three trips yesterday alone. One to Sainsburys and two school runs. Oh and I did sleep in it as well. Forty winks outside the school gates before pick up time.:thumb

We have a little yellow notebook called 'The Hamster Chronicles'. I'm not too anal about writing everything down, but I just write a little log of when and where we've been, who we met and what we did so we can look back when we're old and grey and remember our happy times in The Hamster.

We do a similar thing " Grace's journal" . We illustrate it ,add photos,beer mats,tickets etc. Ask visiting guests to write in it if they wish.

Know we could do an electronic blog/diary but something so good about reflecting/writing it at the end of each " trip " .

Also look at what is used in the cali on each trip & what we need to ditch or add.
Very helpful as our use of the cali evolves over time.

I wrote in a book every trip in our previous van. Sadly, it was stolen with the van, so my new log is electronic

Charles

That's proper dedication taking that picnic bench with you, or is that the original T4 prototype of the folding table we have today? ;) :rolleyes::cheers
That's proper Westy build quality for you!

Back