Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car Play Fail

Ios 10 give you a slightly different Maps app and ability to rearrange apps on the homescreen. Many of the new Maps features like up ahead etc is not coming to carplay in this release.
Music.app is also slightly changed focussing more arround your music.

Ios 10 give you a slightly different Maps app and ability to rearrange apps on the homescreen. Many of the new Maps features like up ahead etc is not coming to carplay in this release.
Music.app is also slightly changed focussing more arround your music.
That sounds ok but my issue was on calls - dropping in and out as the carplay kept dropping in and out and it was reverting to and from Bluetooth. And the same thing happening when listening to music from iPhone and it keeps stopping...
And in answer to one of the other queries - there is only the phone and / or are bluetooth speaker charging whilst camping. And only the phone whilst travelling. So I am sure it can't be due to too many things charging...

I have just got back from a 500 round trip to the north and carplay performed amazing on the 1st leg and "had" since we picked it up a month ago. This was with maps running and podcasts playing. Next day no problems but that was only a few miles to a customers site.

Then on the return trip back, every 2 minuites it would freeze, buzz and lockup then for no obvious reason it would work fine for an hour then start playing up again. In the end I pulled the cable and listened to the podcast via Bluetooth and did without the map as I was on the home stretch.

Tried it again this morning on a short school run and it minged out with in the first few minutes and that was after a phone reboot and a different apple cable. Very odd that it had been working well up to yesterday.

You're not alone ;)

I had this too whilst on holiday in France - iPhone 6s plugged in via USB port in dash board, using car play and no other phones or devices at all. Worked fine for the trip down there for hundreds of miles but then once we were there it would erratically do this. Unplugging the cable then reconnecting cured it - sometimes for 5 minutes or sometimes for over an hour. Haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet so will be interested to hear about the software update if that isn't just them fobbing people off!

Thanks,

Jez

Not to tempt murphy but since updating my iPhone 5S to iOS10 car play has been working with out freezing.

Maps while playing music or podcasts !!!

That's good I was hoping somebody would be posting some good news. It was a major OS upgrade.

Mike

Early days but both mine and my wifes phones have been used and long 2 hour trips so far so good.

That said, I didn't have issues the first few weeks of having it originaly..

Last edited:
I can report all seems normal, I upgraded to IOS10.2 last night and was able to give it a good test today with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hve had problems, after using three dfferent phones with it, it kept disconnecting and connecting all the time. Restart of car and phone didnt help.
It turns out the car stereo needed a reboot which is done pressing the power button until you see the vw logo and it reboots.
This will solve disconnect and connect issues with carplay.

I can report all seems normal, I upgraded to IOS10.2 last night and was able to give it a good test today with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did this before my last trip and I this last trip not only was it cutting in and out (very distressing as after 11 hours travelling and discovering A49 was closed at 11pm at night with no prior warning and no signed diversion and was trying to call my folks to work out how to navigate the last 30 minutes...). Then on the way home from the LL event Apple Carplay stopped working completely. I unplugged and reconnected the cable, switched engine on and off (not whilst driving on the M6, I hasten to add :shocked) but the problem persisted for around 200 miles (and three countries). Finally, without any warning, it started to work again around Stirling. Sterling stuff?? I am confused, bewildered and frustrated. Let's hope the reset works...

This fault is still happening. Randomly lost CarPlay after driving 300miles to the South of France this week. Was forced to listen to French Europop until we got to the campsite

Solution...
Menu>Setup>Factory settings> App-Connect
Then reset.