Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan Club

Only had one bad experience at a CC site and that was just a comment "People with your type of vehicle cause us problems as they need more room." T
I can't see their reasoning for that comment. Most pitches I have seen with a caravan, the caravan is bigger than the Cali, then there is a huge awning attached plus a large 4x4 car.
Personally, I have always been very pleased with pitches, wardens and facilities at CC sites.

I can't see their reasoning for that comment. Most pitches I have seen with a caravan, the caravan is bigger than the Cali, then there is a huge awning attached plus a large 4x4 car.
Personally, I have always been very pleased with pitches, wardens and facilities at CC sites.
I couldn't see the reasoning either. He tried to justify his comment by walking 3.5 metres to show where the awning was going to end up. I then commented about the space to the left of the van that I wasn't using ie where the car would normally go, and said my camper is my car and he shut up.

One time my kids and other children were told to go off the park because they were making too much noise by the warden when I challenged the warden he actually said that they had received a complaint from one of the caravans when I asked him the reason they had a park was it just for show or could the children actually play on it he just shrugged his shoulders so I asked him why don't I swap with that particular pitch seeing that they don't want to be next to the park where I am it is lovely and quiet but a distant from the park when the warden asked the caravana if he would like to change his pitch for a nice quiet one he refused and said why should I move the mind boggles and yes they have some very helpful wardens and some of their sites are absolutely pristine and yes you do get bad and good in every club but I can honestly say I have never ever had any problems with the camping and Caravan club in fact one summer holiday near The New Forest the wardens actually were chasing the children round the site with water pistols what a fun day that was. :)

One time my kids and other children were told to go off the park because they were making too much noise by the warden when I challenged the warden he actually said that they had received a complaint from one of the caravans when I asked him the reason they had a park was it just for show or could the children actually play on it he just shrugged his shoulders so I asked him why don't I swap with that particular pitch seeing that they don't want to be next to the park where I am it is lovely and quiet but a distant from the park when the warden asked the caravana if he would like to change his pitch for a nice quiet one he refused and said why should I move the mind boggles and yes they have some very helpful wardens and some of their sites are absolutely pristine and yes you do get bad and good in every club but I can honestly say I have never ever had any problems with the camping and Caravan club in fact one summer holiday near The New Forest the wardens actually were chasing the children round the site with water pistols what a fun day that was. :)
There are two schools of thought on the type of situation you faced.
One is that life is to short and the other is to challenge.
I have to say that as time goes on I am more likely to regret the missed opportunity if I choose option 1.

Mike

We've been members of the CC club for many years and have only come across a small number of 'jobsworths'. I agree with Rich20 that's it's appalling that staff should get abuse from some member, but I guess that's life. When I was interviewed for my current job most of the questions were how I would handle confrontation and abuse - this was to work in a Primary School - sad times!

We've been members of the CC club for many years and have only come across a small number of 'jobsworths'. I agree with Rich20 that's it's appalling that staff should get abuse from some member, but I guess that's life. When I was interviewed for my current job most of the questions were how I would handle confrontation and abuse - this was to work in a Primary School - sad times!

It could get worse. One of my first introductions to my new university was a course on code of practice for staff and students regarding firearms!:shocked

That was in the US though :D

I do find it a bit unfair that my dog has to remain within the pitch boundaries yet ferrile kids are allowed to run riot making as much noise as then can. So I can sympathise with people who object to kids.

Enter the CC child catcher/ caravan club [see what I did there] warden.

the-child-catcher-4.jpg

At the end of the day the Caravan & Motorhome Club and the C&CC is not mandatory I choose to be members of both. You are fairly sure of the standard or pitch, the safety of electric points and the standard of the toilet blocks. The private sites I have used can be @rap others fantastic but it is a bit of a gamble.
The toilet blocks are always well cleaned on club sites and we are up and out long before they are closed for essential cleaning.You also know your pitch will be far enough away from those next door that you can keep yourself to yourself if you want too.

Last edited:
for around ÂŁ50 a year both clubs offer excellent value for the types of facilities offered. My CC membership is paid for just on M6Toll toll savings alone. You can book and know exactly what you are going to get. I'm currently in Brighton for ÂŁ12 night which is half the price that it costs to just park in the road for the same time!

No one has to stay there and if I did I wouldn't be going just to chat to my neighbours anyway. Most times I'm there mid-late afternoon or evening and gone early the following morning. For me predictable good value and if I get a grumpy warden or a snotty neighbour then it is not going to dent my happiness sitting in Albert contemplating how lucky am I to have this lifestyle than some of the miserable lot around me :D

Toilet closures really do not bother me. Half the places I usually camp at there are no toilets anyway! (For some reason the bit I miss most about not being able to use site facilities is the convenience of cleaning my teeth :().

Sorry disagreed instead of agreed with GrannyJen. Fat fingers.

Sorry disagreed instead of agreed with GrannyJen. Fat fingers.

You can always correct it and stop my mega-sulk...

You could turn up at the campsite and buy me an incredibly large wine ....

Or you could just share a big big smile at "fat fingers" ...... :D:D:D:D

have I missed something here?

Show the CC card and get normal car rate instead of small commercial rate. Saves about ÂŁ4.50 a trip and as I use it both ways about 6 times a year it's a no-brainer for me :D

We are going to join C&M Club this year simply because of the better site coverage in Scotland in areas we plan doing this summer - the M6 discount is an added bonus! Thanks for pointing that out!
We are members of CC&C Club and have always found their sites do exactly what I want /expect, toilets spotless and I have only ever found site staff totally helpful and friendly from helping erect an awning in wind to sorting out a vet who could instantly deal with ticks on the dog! Let's hope its the same experience for the C&M sites!

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going to join C&M Club this year simply because of the better site coverage in Scotland in areas we plan doing this summer - the M6 discount is an added bonus! Thanks for pointing that out!
We are members of CC&C Club and have always found their sites do exactly what I want /expect, toilets spotless and I have only ever found site staff totally helpful and friendly from helping erect an awning in wind to sorting out a vet who could instantly deal with ticks on the dog! Let's hope its the same experience for the C&M sites!

I'm at Brighton. The staff could not be more helpful. Facilities spotless and warm. Being lazy I asked where I could catch a bus to the run start tomorrow and immediately was offered a map etc plus a card for a taxi in case I wanted a lift back :D

I've got a noisy family next door, just noisy, nothing else, they have a couple of kids who were awake and excited at 7am but hey, kids love the lifestyle so why not! Go for it guys! They are 6 metres away, not bothering me, in fact really enjoying just a day doing nothing but resting and with the facilities block about 20 metres away!

My Eye-tv reception is excellent, Wi-Fi for my mobile excellent, everything I want and warm and snug in my Albert.

I don't know where you are going in Scotland but Galloway and Kintyre the sites are excellent. Ayr is crowded but good for City Centre. Edinburgh has a nice walk along the FoF, I've only ever had a good experience from the CC sites in Scotland.

If you also want an overnight stopover in Perth area then I know of a good wild-camp spot with food, drink and a visitor centre!

I make a point of never using a site where the rules and regulations stretch to a whole page - just general inclination and a couple of experiences with CCC or similar sites.
Been camping for many years before I got the Cali and mostly chosen sites with as few facilities as possible as they are usually less crowded. Can't stand regimented rows of tents or vans.

I was invited to, and attended, a market research briefing held by the C&M club on Tuesday. I was quite forthright in telling them the experiences of us and fellow campervan site users but also did say that you do know what you are going to get in terms of loos, services etc. As in everything there are jobsworths on a few places but it is obvious they are listening. It is up to us to be heard!

I was invited to, and attended, a market research briefing held by the C&M club on Tuesday. I was quite forthright in telling them the experiences of us and fellow campervan site users but also did say that you do know what you are going to get in terms of loos, services etc. As in everything there are jobsworths on a few places but it is obvious they are listening. It is up to us to be heard!
Agreed. Change of name is a big indication.

Mike

We're in both think it's down to the wardens themselves. our first experience of Caravan Club was to turn up 5 mins early to be told by Hitler to told to go away when we said what time is it anyway he realised he was being a bit OTT and let us wait there. It got better as the day went on I went to loo and saw two legs sticking out from under door so had to get hubby to climb over top to get her out. The young girl was mortal Turned out her and boyfriend had fell out. Then at midnight some clown with a caravan who hitler had obviously not seen come in proceeded to pitch up nearly take out our van and the one next door we laugh about it to this day.That said it's a good club you can choose your pitch get more space than CCC they've got their own version of awkward wardens too and overall security is good. We use a private site locally in winter and both security and cleaning is lax but it's still a good site. Everything has Good and bad points. Including fellow campers. Helps if you have a sense of Humour.

As well as saving on M6 toll many other savings on places to visit

Last edited:
Back